When to say "No more buying/spending on toys/hobbies"?

04svtterm

Established Member
Travel ftw.. Saw 43 states last year. Went sailing multiple times. etc.

Next year I want to hit Ireland or Australia.

ireland is beautiful! def a must go. Haven't been to Australia yet, but i do plan on it to seek out new clients for trading & exporting. Traveling is an addiction for me. As much time as i spend traveling for just work, you would think i would stay put on my down time. I always find excuses to visit overseas somewhere. It's just nice to see the world. It's not as big as we think it is.

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
13 cars is too much, unless you're a collector with the garage space to house them there's no point in having that many cars. You really have to ask yourself do you need those cars, and don't say there just setting out in the middle of the yard. :nonono:

A truck/tow rig, two or three nice day/weekend cars, and a nice daily is the max I could see myself owning at one time. Even that is a disorder, 13 is just plain stupid.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I have owned over 70 vehicles so "NO" is not in my vocabulary, I want to own them all.

Prototype007

Established Member
13 cars is too much, unless you're a collector with the garage space to house them there's no point in having that many cars. You really have to ask yourself do you need those cars, and don't say there just setting out in the middle of the yard. :nonono:

A truck/tow rig, two or three nice day/weekend cars, and a nice daily is the max I could see myself owning at one time. Even that is a disorder, 13 is just plain stupid.

I can respect that statement.

So what's your story? Everyone is so focused on me using myself for the example that the point of the thread has been missed.

I have owned over 70 vehicles so "NO" is not in my vocabulary, I want to own them all.

^ this is more of what I was looking for in responses.

70 is a lot for the average bear! How many have you ever owned at once? Do you use most for drag cars or show cars or just fun cruisers?

Never_Enough

Established Member
When you don't have the money and are just creating debt for yourself, that goes for buying anything, other than the essentials and necessities.

If money is no issue, i'd say there's never a stopping point, as long as it's something that makes you happy.

+1

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
So besides work, tinkering with the cars, and hanging with dad what do you do? I understand issues with the ex and wanting to be single and focus on a "weekend car" or getting your priorities straight. But if you're content living at home for now, and not 100% moving out just yet, why not date?

To some people living at home can be embarrassing depending on age. Some people like the privacy or to say this is mine etc. My friend who works at a boat dealer ship, who was my roommate for 9 months, just got a promotion at a new boat dealership. Making big bucks now, but moved back home as its a 5 minute commute and he wants to save up for 6-9 months then hopefully buy a house.

I'm 24 and in the military, so since I don't have "rent" I can use the money I make towards toys hobbies etc. I bought a 96 saleen in 2012 with cash and not I'm deciding on whether I want to drop 5-7k on building a forged motor etc. I really would like to leave the service and go back to school... but I think I would want to sell my parts/ toys before doing so. Just to be safe.

If you can afford you're lifestyle and are happy with it then keep trucking on. You're doing better than a single dad or a dad with 2 kids with two different women who has 1 car and struggles to pay the bills. You may live at home but at least you don't have a bum girlfriend or any kids your dragging with you.

Prototype007

Established Member
why not date?

I'm actually working on taking a woman out, but seen no reason to share that info in any of my previous post. I'm still perfectly fine being single, so it's no big deal to me either way at this particular time.

I've also spent today trying to workout a trade of my 86 C10 to an enclosed car trailer.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I read the op and first couple posts but not any of the rest of the bashing. I don't see the problem with "living at home" as every one here calls it as long as you're paying your share of the bills. Who cares if your roommate is a family member? How is that any different from a significant other in "the real world" as people keep stating? You've clearly said you aren't a leach so living with your dad isn't a big deal. I think in all honesty staying single is a good financial move (unless your girl is a doctor or something). All I know is that I've had to put my cars on the backburner for the past year I've been with my current girlfriend lol.

13 cars may seem like a lot if you were to have them all licensed, insured, maintenance upkept, etc but with the few that you listed and the rest eventually going to scrap, I don't see a problem. Like others have said, as long as you're happy and this hobby isn't getting in the way of what you need in life, and you can easily financially support your decisions then you have no reason to say "this is enough"

Users who are viewing this thread