When to say "No more buying/spending on toys/hobbies"?

Prototype007

Established Member
Holy hell you have a lot of vehicles!

For me, my hobbies are mainly firearms and cars. I'm married, have a house and don't ever plan on having kids. So as long as the usual bills are being paid my wife and I spend our own money on things we want. If we had kids it would be a totally different story I'm sure.

I've been in the credit card debt before and it's no fun. Now if I make a big purchase if using a cc it must have 0% interest for a period of time, or I try to pay with cash. I have a pretty rusted out 98 f150 which is my dd but it only has 62k miles! I don't want another car payment, plus they eventually get rusty from all the salt laid down on the roads during the winter months.

Before I had my license I was really into guns as a child/teenager! Dad and Uncle really pushed that hobby as well. Used to love blasting clay pigeons out of the air with a 12 gauge. That or dusting a ground hog/crow/opposum with a with a 223 lol!

Your Ford Truck = pretty much what the Tercels was used for, for a while. Why rust out my Corvette (sold), Camaro, or Cobra when I had a $1500/$300 car I could sacrifice instead? I just got to enjoy the Toyota's in a lot of forms of driving other than just for winter use only. One of the said Tercel's (1995 model) is one I kept to pick parts off of for the other two and it's currently 2nd in line for the crusher.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
EDIT: And for those saying never die broke, that's a freaking joke! Too many people out there save there money and peel over and die the next day never getting to enjoy the things they would have liked to have or do! That's why my wife and I spend money! If your that concerned about leaving a bunch of debt for loved ones it's called LIFE INSURANCE!!!!

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I decided where I lived was more important than toys.

I used to have 4 mustangs at the same time. (91,96,04,05)

Then I realized. Why? So the 40 minutes I could spend a day in a different car was fun? No. So they looked pretty sitting outside? Nope.

I'm a young dude ( 27) I now have my mustang, and my daily.. and live in a nice lake front apartment in a gated community. I've had 12 mustangs, and roughly 30 cars total. And I wouldn't want to have so many cars ever again if it meant giving up a nice living situation ON MY OWN

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
When I was 30 I decided to buy the big house on a golf course and raise my kids in it vs. 60k car(s) & a small house. 12 years later I'm looking at the 60k car but college is right around the corner and I'd like to help them out. It all comes down to your personal goals, statistically speaking your will make the most of your money in your 30's and 40's. Keep that in mind if you blow your $$ through those years.

04svtterm

Established Member
it all comes down to priorities and funds....as long as i can live comfortable, provide for my wife and kid and Travel. I'm probably one of the few, but at this point in my life, i'd rather take a fun vacation over a new car/toy. I've been wanting to get a boat, but i just can't justify the expense for the amount of time i would actually use it. Maybe in the future. Again...i'd rather travel.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
it all comes down to priorities and funds....as long as i can live comfortable, provide for my wife and kid and Travel. I'm probably one of the few, but at this point in my life, i'd rather take a fun vacation over a new car/toy. I've been wanting to get a boat, but i just can't justify the expense for the amount of time i would actually use it. Maybe in the future. Again...i'd rather travel.
Travel ftw.. Saw 43 states last year. Went sailing multiple times. etc.

Next year I want to hit Ireland or Australia.

4a7191a

Established Member
I wouldn't want as many cars as op. I'm ocd and that would be a job in its own right to keep them clean at all times. I've got 3 cars and the lightning and one of them is DOA. (69mercury cougar). Still tinkering with 3 is enough hassle. I like to be able to enjoy not working on them and just kick back a cold one and be like damn.
Op, never too old but unless your like jay Leno or really well off where you pay someone to keep them up I'd downsize.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
You knew what kind of responses you'd get when you asked this. Poor reading comprehension and twisting stories are the norm when it comes to questions like this that are asked.

oldmodman

Established Member
For me the answer is the time involved.

Expenditure is not the problem. It's how much time I am pissing away on stuff. Sometimes I get so involved in a project that weeks go by without paying any attention to the "other stuff"

And that "other stuff" can get really pissed off.

Prototype007

Established Member
You knew what kind of responses you'd get when you asked this. Poor reading comprehension and twisting stories are the norm when it comes to questions like this that are asked.

I expected a few out of acts of trolling desperation from the usual suspects, but not to this extent. Some are getting "flat out bent" lol!

Prototype007

Established Member
For me the answer is the time involved.

Expenditure is not the problem. It's how much time I am pissing away on stuff. Sometimes I get so involved in a project that weeks go by without paying any attention to the "other stuff"

And that "other stuff" can get really pissed off.

LOL! Very understandable! :beer:

AAG

Established Member
Sell all the junk and buy you one nice car. Maybe even keep one for a backup.

scott_0

Established Member
having a hobby, it being my mustang, keeps me sane, and my wife is aware of that, I don't drink, so no bars, never been to a strip club in my life, so I'm not blowing money there. as long as I own a Mustang or any car for that matter, I'm going to spend money in it, the bills are paid so **** it lol

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
having a hobby, it being my mustang, keeps me sane, and my wife is aware of that, I don't drink, so no bars, never been to a strip club in my life, so I'm not blowing money there. as long as I own a Mustang or any car for that matter, I'm going to spend money in it, the bills are paid so **** it lol

I don't see a problem with this. Some do I'm sure, but oh well lol!

Users who are viewing this thread