When to say "No more buying/spending on toys/hobbies"?

Dominican_7

Established Member
Why don't you sell 11-12 cars, then get the C5/Terminator?

Lot of cars just sitting there.

+1

I have 2 Mustangs right now and I am trying to sell my GT if you want to make it your 14th car!! J/K

Seriously do what Blk04L said and you will have more money in your pocket and less worries.

Prototype007

Established Member
Early Volvos and a bunch of Tercels, and you live at home?

Why not get rid of all the junky cars, and move out. Come on man, youre 26. You admit yourself you're beeing a leech. Yeesh. :eek:

I'll give you a chance to re-read my post and others I've made while you typed your reply. Volvo is a work truck... as in a truck that I can drive threw your house with. I doubt you've ever tried hauling a backhoe or tractor with an auger with a light duty truck. Or several trees with rootball up to 60" in diameter (do occasional work for a tree relocating business).

Why don't you sell 11-12 cars, then get the C5/Terminator?

Lot of cars just sitting there.

Had thoughts of, but just haven't. If I feel I want a C5/Terminator that bad, then I'll do so. If not, then I must have not wanted one of those cars that badly. Like I originally said, I THOUGHT about purchasing one of the two but didn't.

Only cars that just sit are the parts cars... or what remains of them.

Im willing to finance the toys, but I wont ever borrow money to mod them.

Made that mistake once years ago. Paid that off asap and never made that mistake again.

Prototype007

Established Member
Why? You can't take it with you

True, but in the event I die young no reason to leave debt for the family to have headaches with.

+1

I have 2 Mustangs right now and I am trying to sell my GT if you want to make it your 14th car!! J/K

Seriously do what Blk04L said and you will have more money in your pocket and less worries.

Haha I'll pass on the offer for another vehicle. Read my previous post.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'll give you a chance to re-read my post and others I've made while you typed your reply. Volvo is a work truck... as in a truck that I can drive threw your house with. I doubt you've ever tried hauling a backhoe or tractor with an auger with a light duty truck. Or several trees with rootball up to 60" in diameter (do occasional work for a tree relocating business).

Ok so keep one decent truck and get rid of all the rest. Having 13 vehicles is rather overboard, you appear to be a hoarder of old cars. I would strongly advise AGAINST purchasing another one. You could use that money to move out, again you're 26.

I notice you didnt reply to my statement about being a leech.

Prototype007

Established Member
Ok so keep one decent truck and get rid of all the rest. Having 13 vehicles is rather overboard, you appear to be a hoarder of old cars. I would strongly advise AGAINST purchasing another one. You could use that money to move out, again you're 26.

I notice you didnt reply to my statement about being a leech.

I told you to re-read my post. Post #15 to be exact.

So I just stay with him during the week to reduce my drive, most of my vehicles are at his residence, and obviously he lets me use his garage/tools to work on stuff. Like I said, I just pay some bills here and there to help him out, go back to the hometown on weekends or days off, and I've got too much pride to be a leach.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
While I dont ever see myself ending the mod fever but I also dont wanna have a bunch of random cars at my house. Id much rather sell off 99% (i could understand keeping the Malibu) and get my self a nice DD and a clean weekend warrior/car show vehicle. I take no pride in the number but more what it actually is..........or id use that to purchase my own home.

Zemedici

Established Member
While I dont ever see myself ending the mod fever but I also dont wanna have a bunch of random cars at my house. Id much rather sell off 99% (i could understand keeping the Malibu) and get my self a nice DD and a clean weekend warrior/car show vehicle. I take no pride in the number but more what it actually is..........or id use that to purchase my own home.

thank you, maybe he'll understand when you say it.....:nonono:

Prototype007

Established Member

You did catch the part that I do have my own residence in my hometown correct? Or are you reffering to purchasing a home in the town I work in as well? If so, I feel that's a wise opinion. And no, I'm not the kind of jerk that goes around bragging about what he has or tries to "church it up, Dirt" kind of person. Definitely not my style lol!

If a lot of people look at what they spend going on vacations, eating out a lot, buying brand name everything, or purchasing what new thing comes out instead of waiting a while, then no one would be surprised at what I've been able to do this far.

Prototype007

Established Member
thank you, maybe he'll understand when you say it.....:nonono:

It's pretty obvious you're not reading things all the way through. It's ok.

Can I live with you since I'm a leech and have nowhere to go? :lol: J/k. Opinions/Input is appreciated or else I'd never asked.

Zemedici

Established Member
You did catch the part that I do have my own residence in my hometown correct? Or are you reffering to purchasing a home in the town I work in as well? If so, I feel that's a wise opinion. And no, I'm not the kind of jerk that goes around bragging about what he has or tries to "church it up, Dirt" kind of person. Definitely not my style lol!

If a lot of people look at what they spend going on vacations, eating out a lot, buying brand name everything, or purchasing what new thing comes out instead of waiting a while, then no one would be surprised at what I've been able to do this far.

i'm confused as to what you're asking here.

You ask for advice, then when people give you advice (I'm sure some of these people have been in similar situations) you shoot it down,deny it, explain why its wrong.

So what's the point in asking for advice? The majority vote of people here is sell all the cars and get a cobra/etc. There's no point in having 13 cars at one time if you dont even have insurance on them, they're just sitting there. Sell all but one, do one at a time, enjoy it, sell it, move on to the next.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I love cars but over the years ive come to realize that they are equivalent to just burning cash in a furnace for heat. Money goes into it every month for years an years but you never get it back.

depreciation, monthly payment, tag fees, insurance, ever increasing fuel prices , tires, oil changes, repairs, detailing..etc. Its just a series of never ending reccuring expenses. Then if you're into modding you can easily blow thousands and not even realize it over time. :bash:

You really need a crap ton of disposable income to really be able to afford toys and not be scrapping by month to month. Needless to say my priorities have changed and i no longer have the lightning.

skwerl

Banned
I have a couple serious questions.
Out of your 13 cars, how many are registered and insured?
How many have you actually driven in the last year (on the road legally, not just around the back yard)?

Prototype007

Established Member
i'm confused as to what you're asking here.

You ask for advice, then when people give you advice (I'm sure some of these people have been in similar situations) you shoot it down,deny it, explain why its wrong.

So what's the point in asking for advice? The majority vote of people here is sell all the cars and get a cobra/etc. There's no point in having 13 cars at one time if you dont even have insurance on them, they're just sitting there. Sell all but one, do one at a time, enjoy it, sell it, move on to the next.

I'm just sharing my experience, like I was expecting from you all in return and didn't mind hearing your opinions on my situation in the process. But I never asked for advice.

As far as not insuring all of them? That's what a trailer and a drag strip is for. Some of these cars I choose not to drive them on the street. Just drag toys, that's all.

Also if you had read all the way through, which you obviously didn't, you would have seen that 5 of them are parts cars which we pick/sell parts off of and them crush them. I've got three ready to roll on to the big junkyard in sky at this very moment. Numbers going down, not going up.

I'm not denying anything, just correcting what's been skipped over or missed by people not reading all the way through. And I say one last time, I appreciate advice/opinions (even though I didn't ask for it) when people have read all the way through.

Prototype007

Established Member
I have a couple serious questions.
Out of your 13 cars, how many are registered and insured?
How many have you actually driven in the last year (on the road legally, not just around the back yard)?

In my earlier post it explains that.

4 insured and street driven (exluding the Volvo work truck), 5 just for parts/money, a Malibu that was given to me this year, and the two Tercels I've not completed this season. Drove one of those Tercel's for years.

Hopefully this helps and my post above yours in reply to Zemedici helps paint the bigger picture.

Prototype007

Established Member
I love cars but over the years ive come to realize that they are equivalent to just burning cash in a furnace for heat. Money goes into it every month for years an years but you never get it back.

depreciation, monthly payment, tag fees, insurance, ever increasing fuel prices , tires, oil changes, repairs, detailing..etc. Its just a series of never ending reccuring expenses. Then if you're into modding you can easily blow thousands and not even realize it over time. :bash:

You really need a crap ton of disposable income to really be able to afford toys and not be scrapping by month to month. Needless to say my priorities have changed and i no longer have the lightning.

Good post and not one part I disagree with.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy hell you have a lot of vehicles!

For me, my hobbies are mainly firearms and cars. I'm married, have a house and don't ever plan on having kids. So as long as the usual bills are being paid my wife and I spend our own money on things we want. If we had kids it would be a totally different story I'm sure.

I've been in the credit card debt before and it's no fun. Now if I make a big purchase if using a cc it must have 0% interest for a period of time, or I try to pay with cash. I have a pretty rusted out 98 f150 which is my dd but it only has 62k miles! I don't want another car payment, plus they eventually get rusty from all the salt laid down on the roads during the winter months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread