where are your front plates hung?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
FYI - this bracket won't work well on our cars :-/

My car has never had one mounted on the bumper. But when that time comes to where I HAVE to have it, I'll get the flip up bracket.
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/pro...=3144&osCsid=f44bccc90db16a3457b511aa14884a05

I actually bought one of these thinking it would be nice to just flip it in / out on a whim.

Unfortunately, the liscence plate is too wide to slide between the uprights in our Intercooler opening :-(

Also, it requires drilling to mount ~ albeit to the underside of the bumper in a hidden location. Also, the mount WILL touch the front bumper, but they give you pads to minimize scratching / damage.

Needless to say, I have yet to mount mine :-/

divided

Established Member
Im not rocking a front plate until I HAVE too. When that time comes im getting one that doesnt require drilling for sure.

whitetrash1

Established Member
Front license plate on both mine are mounted with velcro strips that wrap completely around both ends of the plate securing to the underside of my passenger side visor. when the car is moving the visor is down and the plate is visible to the front of the vehicle. when I am at a show the visor is up so the plate doesn't show.

i know people that have still got the ticket for it like that. They were told it had to be outside of the vehicle.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
i know people that have still got the ticket for it like that. They were told it had to be outside of the vehicle.

Where did they get the ticket?

I have been told by more than one Texas LEO (including one on this board) that what I have is perfectly acceptable. I used to carry a copy of the law in my glove box in case I got stopped but in 10 years I have only been stopped once and then he gave me a ticket for no proof of insurance rather than no front plate.

He DID notice it because he asked me where it was. I told him that I normally have it secured to the visor but I had forgotten to put it on when I left my home. he never said another word.

It is a nuisance law. the the LEOs want to stop you they can but as a general rule they don't unless they are looking for a reason.

GHIG RTR

Banned
I actually bought one of these thinking it would be nice to just flip it in / out on a whim.

Unfortunately, the liscence plate is too wide to slide between the uprights in our Intercooler opening :-(

Also, it requires drilling to mount ~ albeit to the underside of the bumper in a hidden location. Also, the mount WILL touch the front bumper, but they give you pads to minimize scratching / damage.

Needless to say, I have yet to mount mine :-/

Nevermind then, thanks for the info bro!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Not mounted. I asked Ford not to drill the holes in the front bumper.
As of 2005 by law in California, dealers have to drill holes and affix the mount.
Jeff

RoadRash

Established Member
I have a question ... If I get Craig's bracket but keep the plate in the trunk (detached) until pulled over, do you guys think I'll still get a ticket (in VA) ? If stopped, I would say that the plate came off, then "magically" attach it and drive off. What do you think? Could be the best of both worlds.

I currently keep it under the seat (no bracket yet).

Steve2050

Established Member
My front bumper already has holes for the plate. I'm trying to figure out a way to get rid of the holes but driving with no front plate will get you a ticket in these parts. So many cars styling suffers from the front plate bracket. Just sux!

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
This might be a stupid question but why do so many people choose to put their plates in lower portion of the passenger side of the front window? I would think that the officers would be able to see it better in the driver side if they are in the on coming lane.

I don't have my plate permanently attached, just put it in the window. Only had my car 1 month and was pulled over for it on the interstate and was told by the IL state trooper that it was supposed to be permanently attached outside the vehicle. I tried to explain that there was no plate bracket but still got a warning. The boys in town don't pay much attention to it but my town has A LOT of mustangs running around with no front plates...especially for being such a small town. So my plate sits in my front window...still.

Users who are viewing this thread