• Almost all the way out

Votes: 121 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I've probably adjusted the Steeda kit 5 times over the past 2 weeks. I FINALLY have it at a point where it engages a little higher and tighter than closer to the floor. No slippage, crisp shifts, so far so good.

Steeda is retarded though, they DO NOT supply the locking bolt with the kit anymore. You just have to mark the FWA with a marker in case if slips up.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Make sure you check this link out - great read.

http://www.thompsontransmission.com...justment.html#Which clutch cable should I use

Quote from the article:

"Properly adjusted, the clutch will begin to engage or grab about halfway up or so in its travel. If the clutch engages/grabs right off the floor, then you are adjusted too loosely, and if it engages/grabs way too high, then you are too tight, (or your clutch is toast if adjustment won’t fix that). A clutch that grabs right off of the floor will cause difficult putting into gears, will cause it to roll on flat surfaces, and will premature clutch wear, and transmission wear. On the other hand, a clutch that grabs too high can cause it to be constantly disengaging when driving, (just like riding the clutch pedal with your left leg) and will cause clutch wear. If you don’t feel that inch/half inch of play, you are too tight. Oppositely, if you have too much slack up top, you may not be disengaging all the way."
"If, when tightening the adjustment, it causes your clutch to engage higher than what you prefer when letting up on the pedal, loosen up on the adjustment. In this case, just be sure that when you let off the clutch from the floor that you have to let up an inch or so before it begins to engage. This will ensure that your clutch is not adjusted too loosely, and is disengaging all the way. If it picks up right off the floor, this is too loose."

"After reading all of this, you still may be unsure of where exactly to position your clutch adjustment. This is where preference comes into play. Once you have learned to feel and know exactly when your clutch disengages, and when it engages, as I have explained, you will be able to adjust your clutch within this range, so that it feels best to you, but is within proper specs as to ensure long clutch and transmission life. On some quadrants, if you dial out all of the slack except for a half inch to inch, this may leave the clutch grabbing a little higher off the floor than what you like. If you don’t like it grabbing so high, it’s ok to loosen up the clutch adjustment. You’ll have some play on the top, but that is ok, so long as you keep it tight enough to have a half to inch of movement upwards before it grabs when letting up on the clutch. That little bit of room at the bottom will ensure that your clutch is not adjusted too loosely."
- Jeremy Thompson

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'm kind of confused about my car. If I get on it fairly hard in 1st or 2nd, it spins and kicks the rear end out. However, if I bog the car at say..1500rpm in 4th or 5th and just barely dip into the boost, it will slip, rev up a bit, then finally catch. Is this a bad clutch, or is this some other issue?

I put it in this thread because I'm trying to make sure it's not a cable adjustment issue.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
mine is stock and it engages pretty high up ... the most high up of any manual i've driven

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Lethalchem said:
I'm kind of confused about my car. If I get on it fairly hard in 1st or 2nd, it spins and kicks the rear end out. However, if I bog the car at say..1500rpm in 4th or 5th and just barely dip into the boost, it will slip, rev up a bit, then finally catch. Is this a bad clutch, or is this some other issue?

I put it in this thread because I'm trying to make sure it's not a cable adjustment issue.

If your clutch engages where it should--about halfway up the pedal travel--then it is worn and that's what's causing your slipping in 4th or 5th.

But if it engages high in the travel, first try to get it adjusted to engage in the middle. If that doesn't help, then again, you need a new clutch.

Bignasty

Established Member
Yesterday my clutch pedal when from stiff to somewhat easy, but the clutch engages still at the same point,(halfway). What happen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread