where the F is the plugs at?

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
I'm looking at this motor On the L and can not find where the spark plugs are at?? I no this a dumb ? but i really can't find them :bash:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Better hope you're a contortionist... you almost have to be double-jointed to change plugs in these trucks. The right tools help. Its intimidating the first go-around but isn't too bad.

Lightning Steve

Established Member
M.O.E said:
I'm looking at this motor On the L and can not find where the spark plugs are at?? I no this a dumb ? but i really can't find them :bash:

LMAO, I thought I was the only one dumb enough to post that, wait i never posted that.
I had the truck about six months before I found mine, lol, I would have asked but was to afraid of being laughed at.

As posted above, you wont see them, at the base of the SC you will find the fuel rails, under/beside them will be the coil packs (one per cyl.), after un-bolting a coil (two small bolts) pull it out and way way down the hole will be the plug.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Ok, start looking in the most obvious and convenient spot you can, now look at the complete opposite of that. There you go.

Lightning Steve said:
LMAO, I thought I was the only one dumb enough to post that, wait i never posted that.
I had the truck about six months before I found mine, lol, I would have asked but was to afraid of being laughed at.

As posted above, you wont see them, at the base of the SC you will find the fuel rails, under/beside them will be the coil packs (one per cyl.), after un-bolting a coil (two small bolts) pull it out and way way down the hole will be the plug.

Should be just one bolt, and the electrical connector. Unless they changed it after '00.

I'm going through plug issues right now so I have a picture of my engine kind of burned into my brain right now.

Last edited:

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
my truck spit a plug a while ago and i helicoiled it and its fine now...it sucks at first but once you do it you have nothen to worry about i have a #6 lower and never have problems

Lightning Steve

Established Member
NewKid said:
Ok, start looking in the most obvious and convenient spot you can, now look at the complete opposite of that. There you go.

That sums it up perfect!

NewKid said:
Should be just one bolt, and the electrical connector. Unless they changed it after '00.

You could be right, it was a fairly tramatic experiance when I changed mine so I may have blocked some of it out.

chuckdlightning

Established Member
haha.. I'll be honest. I didn't know where they were for a little while either. Right when I got my L I was all excited about buying new plugs and wires for it, and all that great stuff. haha.... I figured they would be like my Mustang. We all gotta learn sometime I guess.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
If you want your plugs changed, just save time by taking it to the dealer while you stay home and smash your fingers with a claw hammer.

Easier and less painful :bash:

Actually, it's not that bad once you get over the initial shock and use of profane language.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
:bash: Took me a year and six months to change my plugs in
the L:bash:

SVT Knight

Established Member
i bought some a while ago, but havent got the nerve to go and tempt it yet. how much does the dealer install cost roughly??

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Buy a set of Madenterprises' coil pack screw extenders...
CPS.jpg

There are seven like this one:
CPS-7.jpg

And one like this:
CPS-1.jpg

Then buy the KD Tools magnetic spark plug removal set:
tools-fu.jpg

And it makes your life a lot easier to change plugs.

Stewart

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
I've also been thinking about getting this double flex socket.
11DE8EDAM0L__SS500_.gif

It would really help on the number 4 and number 8 cylinders.

Stewart

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
SVT Knight said:
i bought some a while ago, but havent got the nerve to go and tempt it yet. how much does the dealer install cost roughly??
$2,000!!!!!!!!!! That's after valve replacement, tuner, dyno tune, and spark plugs! Ha!

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
oh god!!!!!!!!!!! my hands/nuckles still hurt from when I change my plugs for the first time, and that was 5 months ago.

203Cree

Established Member
These and some patience is all you'll ever need for a plug change. :)

CIMG1143.jpg

Just a few tips: Number 7 plug, the one right under the fuel preasure regulator..... Put that Coilpack bolt back in FINGER tight. It won't come out and it will make life much easier in the future. Also, remove the airbox and intake elbow. Free's up a lot of room. One last thing.... unplug the injectors too. Get's another thing out of the way. With practice you should be down around an hour on a plug change. :)

Last edited:

Lightning Steve

Established Member
Some really good tips and tools.
One other thing to make plug changes easier is take the blower off. This might sound like it's a lot of work but removing the SC is really easy to do. With the SC off it's much easier to get at the plugs plus you can clean up the intercooler, which if you haven't done is worth doing. It does add a bit of time but nothing that can't be done in a few hours on a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread