Where to buy VTS Intercooler?

ap3x

La Flama Blanca
Established Member
Does anyone know where to purchase the vts intercooler and heat shield with gaskets. Turns out my stock one is cracked and looking to upgrade while I'm still in the building process. I have tried calling multiple times and can never get anyone to answer the phone even left an e-mail with no luck. I don't care if it's through VTS or another seller, just trying to get one soon to finish my build.

Velocity Turbo Systems - Custom Intercoolers Cobra Lightning Shelby Ford GT

Here's a pic from one of sfadchi's threads.

CarStuff031.jpg

manOwar

Established Member
Does anyone know where to purchase the vts intercooler and heat shield with gaskets. Turns out my stock one is cracked and looking to upgrade while I'm still in the building process. I have tried calling multiple times and can never get anyone to answer the phone even left an e-mail with no luck. I don't care if it's through VTS or another seller, just trying to get one soon to finish my build.

Velocity Turbo Systems - Custom Intercoolers Cobra Lightning Shelby Ford GT

Here's a pic from one of sfadchi's threads.

CarStuff031.jpg
I've got one if you want it but I don't recommend it. I dosen't work......

ap3x

La Flama Blanca
Established Member

I'm curious as to why you don't recommend it, from what I've read it is a good upgrade for the cooling system. And I thought I saw a thread you made with their entire kit and had some nice results on race gas. I need something to replace the stock on because its got a nice crack going down the side. Is there another option besides ordering a oem one or the VTS?

skyhighsd

Established Member

No kidding, you are the thrid person I heard say bad things about it. But no one is giving anymore info than that? Can you go into more details on what you found, pm me if you dont want to post it, Thanks

manOwar

Established Member
I'm curious as to why you don't recommend it, from what I've read it is a good upgrade for the cooling system. And I thought I saw a thread you made with their entire kit and had some nice results on race gas. I need something to replace the stock on because its got a nice crack going down the side. Is there another option besides ordering a oem one or the VTS?
Data logs on the dyno shown no issues.... but on the track, it was not as good.... the iat's just went up to the point of pulling timing at the 600' mark.... in the 1/8, 170+ iats were logged..... it's a bad mod that's cost me over $4k..... don't do it!

CPRsm

I'm a little leery myself. I bought a core to test from the same company that makes the core for them. Sounds good by description. But by design I only see pressure drop to be a plus. But how they get it may be the reason it won't work draw heat. I'll let you guys know what I find. I plan to put it in my kits. So I'm testing it first. Sending to a guy making about 950 hp. See how it does with him

CPRsm

Data logs on the dyno shown no issues.... but on the track, it was not as good.... the iat's just went up to the point of pulling timing at the 600' mark.... in the 1/8, 170+ iats were logged..... it's a bad mod that's cost me over $4k..... don't do it!
Damn, replied after you. How did it compare to the stock iat's ? Yeah, dyno testing won't show IC weakness.. Unless it's VERY poor.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I know 3 people that said it was total junk after they had it on their car. I trust their word.

manOwar

Established Member
Damn, replied after you. How did it compare to the stock iat's ? Yeah, dyno testing won't show IC weakness.. Unless it's VERY poor.

Stock IAT's don't even compare to this POS, Stock IC is working if you have a good HE, just look at what Van's set up is doing.

I'm running the VTS triple pass HE w/ dual fans. Shooting the inlet and outlet with a laser temp gun tells me it's working.... along with the eleven gallons of ice tanks I have, it should see Ice Cold IAT's with the stock IC.... Testing this weekend will tell the whole story....

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I'd recommend you sending your stock lower manifold into steggy to get it ported to expose the ~22% of the aftercooler that isn't exposed to the supercharger. It lowers your IAT's a good bit.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Stock IAT's don't even compare to this POS, Stock IC is working if you have a good HE, just look at what Van's set up is doing.

I'm running the VTS triple pass HE w/ dual fans. Shooting the inlet and outlet with a laser temp gun tells me it's working.... along with the eleven gallons of ice tanks I have, it should see Ice Cold IAT's with the stock IC.... Testing this weekend will tell the whole story....

Maybe you can only get it so cold...once you hit a point then it's just overkill? :??:

shelby mark

Established Member
Maybe you can only get it so cold...once you hit a point then it's just overkill? :??:
the guy claims that the cooler temps will allow more timing, not true , these mod blown motors DO NOT respond well with more than 23 degrees of timing. We have 21 degrees of timing and I make 970+ rwhp with an auto.

Wingrider

Established Member

11 gallons? While on the dyno? that's 91lbs and as much volume as 2+ jerry cans. You have a couple huge lines running to almost a gas tank of water in the trunk?

Did you mean 11 quarts?

manOwar

Established Member
the guy claims that the cooler temps will allow more timing, not true , these mod blown motors DO NOT respond well with more than 23 degrees of timing. We have 21 degrees of timing and I make 970+ rwhp with an auto.
More dense air allows for more timing....

11 gallons? While on the dyno? that's 91lbs and as much volume as 2+ jerry cans. You have a couple huge lines running to almost a gas tank of water in the trunk?

Did you mean 11 quarts?
I mean 11 gallons, it's two fold.... Weight transfer and mass... the weight is placed behind the axle and helps with transfer(almost equal to the subs we removed) and the volume of liquid absorbs the heat....

Van@RevanRacing

Man O War contacted me after the initial installation of the VTS intercooler and sent me some data logs. I told him it looked like the IAT2's were spiking quickly under boost.

I had another customer install one and he also sent me data logs. Without knowing he did the VTS intercooler I couldn't understand why his IAT2's were shooting up so high. Then I asked the question. His IAT2's were exceeding 160 degrees at WOT on the dyno. I instructed him to re-install the factory intercooler and put the car back on the dyno. PITA!!

IAT2's were perfect after re-install and never got over 122 degrees at WOT.

The OEM Intercooler is actually a very well designed piece. I looked into making an aftermarket intercooler and do all of the testing like I normally do. The net/net the core used in the intercooler is a very good core. The only way I could improve on the factory unit would be with an even better core and the cost was too prohibitive. The stock intercooler with a C&R Heat Exchanger works great and keeps IAT2's in a very manageable range.

As for the original post I have seen very few stock intercooler failures. OEM is your best bet.

Van

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Man O War contacted me after the initial installation of the VTS intercooler and sent me some data logs. I told him it looked like the IAT2's were spiking quickly under boost.

I had another customer install one and he also sent me data logs. Without knowing he did the VTS intercooler I couldn't understand why his IAT2's were shooting up so high. Then I asked the question. His IAT2's were exceeding 160 degrees at WOT on the dyno. I instructed him to re-install the factory intercooler and put the car back on the dyno. PITA!!

IAT2's were perfect after re-install and never got over 122 degrees at WOT.

The OEM Intercooler is actually a very well designed piece. I looked into making an aftermarket intercooler and do all of the testing like I normally do. The net/net the core used in the intercooler is a very good core. The only way I could improve on the factory unit would be with an even better core and the cost was too prohibitive. The stock intercooler with a C&R Heat Exchanger works great and keeps IAT2's in a very manageable range.

As for the original post I have seen very few stock intercooler failures. OEM is your best bet.

Van

Isn't ~22% of the intercooler not exposed fully. Would a port job to expose the entire intercooler actually make a difference. I was told this would lower IAT's at least 10 degree.

CPRsm

The OEM Intercooler is actually a very well designed piece.
Yeah, it's a garrett core. For the space it would be very hard to find something that worked better. Given the same size, better cooling bring more pressure drop. I'm going to be pissed if I just wasted money buying a junk core.
When the stocker put out 122, do you remember what ambient was ?

ap3x

La Flama Blanca
Established Member
Thanks for all the helpful information, I already have the Revan Racing heat exchanger and radiator so all I need to do now is find out where to buy a stock intercooler without spending a ridiculous amount of money. Anyone know where I can get one without spending the $1000 bucks ford quoted me?

CPRsm

HOLY ************* is that what ford charges ? lol. The same core with caps on the air side is around 7-800. hell I charge 750 lol Lemme pressure test mine to make sure. I was pretty sure it was leaking, but found out all the crap all over it is normal. If it checks out OK you can have mine for like 350. iirc, those cores are a whopping 275 retail. Lucky you I'm getting ready to go to storage right now and get something else. I'll pick it up and let you know. Send me a PM would you ?

Good news for me, the cores are the not the same A/A Vs the A/W. Phew. Still need to test it though.

Users who are viewing this thread