Where to start?

11redGT/CS

Established Member
I need some help, I picked up a cobra with some parts that aren’t California legal. I have since bought maf, injectors and tb, today I switched these parts out along with tune only to have the car idling at 4K. Could it be that the maf is not it’s original maf be the issue? Car was running just fine prior to this change, oh I also added the stock mid pipe with all O2 sensors since it was missing the rears. Where should I start the troubleshooting?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
hanging idle sounds like the throttle body. make sure it's completely closed

11redGT/CS

Established Member
hanging idle sounds like the throttle body. make sure it's completely closed
This isn’t your normal hanging idle the car is staying at 4K. The moment it turns on it goes up to 4K and just stays there, I cleaned the maf and after it came down to 2.5k rpms. I turned it off then back on and again right back to 4K.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You either have a massive vacuum leak or the throttle body is stuck as mentioned. A mismatched MAF will cause it to run bad and maybe throw a code.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
You either have a massive vacuum leak or the throttle body is stuck as mentioned. A mismatched MAF will cause it to run bad and maybe throw a code.
I did take the cable off the TB no change it’s closed for sure I’ll have to look for a leak I guess. Only things I disconnected was what’s need to change injectors.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you damage the gasket when you swapped throttle bodies? Did you trying to close the throttle blade after removing the cable? Also check the throttle stop. Some people will mess with those.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It does sound like a vacuum leak, but as a long shot, try disconnecting your battery for about 15-20 minutes and then re-connect it. See if the ECU relearns the idle. Maybe it's having troubling determining the correct idle speed. A long shot, but worth a try.

hotcobra03

Established Member
First part that went bad on mine was the throttle body.

stuck. High idle.

I didn’t have a scanner than. But I would assume
The tps reading would have been over 1.0

On mine if you pushed back on it it would drop to normal
But adding a pull spring didn’t really help and made pedal hard to push

mine also did send a code for sticking TB

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I know when you switch to an after market throttle body you have to set the tps voltage to .98, do you have to do that when putting the factory one back in and have you done that? Also could you unplug the idle air control to see if the idle drops or stalls to see if the car in commanding it for some reason?

11redGT/CS

Established Member
I know when you switch to an after market throttle body you have to set the tps voltage to .98, do you have to do that when putting the factory one back in and have you done that? Also could you unplug the idle air control to see if the idle drops or stalls to see if the car in commanding it for some reason?
I checked the voltage .94 on the stock TB I also disconnected the IAC to no affect.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
Well since I disconnected the IAC and I thing changed that made me look into the stock TB what I didn’t mention was I paired it to a BilletFlow plenum meant for a single blade. I think I found my issue now to look for a stock plenum.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah ha. I was going to ask if you had an aftermarket TB setup but since you said everything was stock, I didn't. Let us know how you make out after installing a stock plenum.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
Ah ha. I was going to ask if you had an aftermarket TB setup but since you said everything was stock, I didn't. Let us know how you make out after installing a stock plenum.
It’ll probably be a week but I’ll be sure to update this for sure.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks! I really hope this will solve your issue once and for all.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
Well happy to report the plenum was the issue, it's now back on the road waiting for all monitors to activate in order to smog... Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread