which cam's should i get ?

chillicobra

Established Member
i have a 1996 cobra , and im wanting to get some cams but i dont know which ones to get. its between fr500s or comp cam or should i get something else ? it is pretty much stock jus cold air ,exhaust,3.90 gears. im wanting to make around 360rwhp and also thinking about c head swap.

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
1) You post this with absolutely no information in terms of what you have for mods..what plans you want from the car..or anything like that.

With that said..custom grind cams..all day every day.

/thread

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I had an f cam and it was pure sex, but I had a 95 gt, not cobra, so I am not sure if it will work with your 1.7 rockers :shrug:

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I had an f cam and it was pure sex, but I had a 95 gt, not cobra, so I am not sure if it will work with your 1.7 rockers :shrug:

:lol:

What are your plans? Street, strip, road course, or a little bit of each. Future mod plans (gears, short runner, etc). The more info you give, the better the guys can help with an overall plan. NaSvt might give some cam specifics if you pm him with info.

Mike

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
FR500s don't work well with B heads and are no longer available. Custom grinds or off the shelf cams with multiple keyway cam gears are your best option. Comp 106100s use the stock springs and when installed at 108/114 will provide a 30rwhp gain.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
First..I would say invest in bolt ons and other things before jumping into the cams. You won't be able to fully take advantage of aftermarket cams if you have the stock intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. Remember that every part has to work together and compliment each other..for you to yield best results. Cams don't really yield you 'bang for buck'...especially since we have 4 of them.

ANYWAYS...I just wanted to say that and get it out of the way...if you are just dead set on getting cams still...I would speak with John @ Modular Performance. Give him a call and tell him what you plan on having engine wise..if you want a power adder..what kind of power adder..how streetable..how high you want to rev..what you want in terms of powerband..etc.

Home page

With custom cams..he'll be able to get you a set that won't require having to upgrade your valve springs&retainers [which save you $500 and an absolute NIGHTMARE..if you don't plan on removing the engine&heads] and you'll see a more friendly powerband with more hp&tq under the curve. I would only purchase off the shelf cams if you happen to come across them at a steal [which is what happened to me]

Best wishes on your build.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
First..I would say invest in bolt ons and other things before jumping into the cams. You won't be able to fully take advantage of aftermarket cams if you have the stock intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. Remember that every part has to work together and compliment each other..for you to yield best results. Cams don't really yield you 'bang for buck'...especially since we have 4 of them.

You have much to learn Chris. The only bolt-on that's "needed" for cams is headers and regarding your bang-for-the-buck comment, cams offer great power for the money. Headers and X pipe can cost more than cams, take just as long to install (or cost as much to install) and they provide very little power gain yet very few say they aren't worth the money. I can bolt-in a set of cams and get an instant 40rwhp, tell me one mod other than a supercharger or nitrous that comes close.

Custom cams are the way to go, but a much cheaper route is going with off-the-shelf-cams and changing their lobe centers by using multiple keyway cams gears which cost around $50. You can cams for around $900 that don't require valve springs and using the Cloyes gears you'll pick up 40rwhp for about $1k in parts.

Last edited:

96S/Cobra

Established Member
and where can i buy it at

Where can you buy what?.....a Procharger cam like 1BAD96SVT suggested?

Oh young grasshopper, you have much to learn lol...

Stick around for awhile, do a bit of research/reading on here and I'm sure you'll learn a few things along the way.

corysmach1

Established Member
i have a 1996 cobra , and im wanting to get some cams but i dont know which ones to get. its between fr500s or comp cam or should i get something else ? it is pretty much stock jus cold air ,exhaust,3.90 gears. im wanting to make around 360rwhp and also thinking about c head swap.

Paul?

this is cory with the white Cobra....you should have kept the 4:10's in the car. But yes these guys are right...you will need Longtubes to take advanatge of the cams....and go with a custom grind.

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
You have much to learn Chris. The only bolt-on that's "needed" for cams is headers and regarding your bang-for-the-buck comment, cams offer great power for the money. Headers and X pipe can cost more than cams, take just as long to install (or cost as much to install) and they provide very little power gain yet very few say they aren't worth the money. I can bolt-in a set of cams and get an instant 40rwhp, tell me one mod other than a supercharger or nitrous that comes close.

Custom cams are the way to go, but a much cheaper route is going with off-the-shelf-cams and changing their lobe centers by using multiple keyway cams gears which cost around $50. You can cams for around $900 that don't require valve springs and using the Cloyes gears you'll pick up 40rwhp for about $1k in parts.

na svt what cams do not require valve springs and why do you use the Cloyes gears? lol I too am a grasshopper that has much to learn, I have been contemplating some cams but always thought it was way to expensive after adding up cost of the cams themselves, and the supporting valvetrain components that I thought were required to run them. I have heard many run Cloyes chains as well to prevent breakage, is there any truth to that? Sorry to thread hi jack but I thought I might as well ask while on the subject. Also if one were to forego valvesprings and such, and simply install the cams with the motor still in the vehicle how difficult is the installation to tackle? Harder than headers, or a motor swap? (those last two questions are open to anybody whose busted their ass installing cams lol)

Users who are viewing this thread