Which catback, and where can I get a good deal?

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Yes I already have an h-pipe resonator delete. If you got to American muscle website they have a nice video. This is the RTR system, which is made by magnaflow exclusive for RTR. A lil different but similar to the MF street system.

Jay,

Thank you for your input, I hadn't seen the RTR products. Looking at the pictures, the street and performance look the same on the outside. I wonder if the RTR Competition is as loud as the Magnaflow Competition?

Branhammer

Established Member
Bran, do you have exhaust on your 2015?

No. I must be getting old, because it's been kind of nice going from a loud Mustang with 4.10's to a quiet, refined Mustang with a nice ride quality. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll probably keep this one stock. Maybe that'll change in a few years though.

08mojo

Established Member
I went with the MBRP street system for my wife's car...and kind of regret it. The system is quiet, too quiet. The sound they make at WOT is not good at all. I'm thinking about cutting open the mufflers and doing something....

I was looking for something similar to the roush axle-backs she had on her 2012, but didn't want to hack the stock system.

Last edited:

Branhammer

Established Member
I've been looking at parts on LMR all morning just for fun and came across the Bassani Mid-muffler Cat-back system. Now that is interesting because I've heard a lot of people say that nothing beats the sound of the old SN95 4.6's. The theory is that it's because the mufflers are more toward the front of the car, whereas our Coyotes have the mufflers right at the back of the car. The Bassani kit only uses one muffler, which simply replaces the stock resonator, and then it's just straight pipes from the muffler back. It's also quite a bit cheaper ($899) than other CB kits because it only includes one muffler. I would imagine that because the muffler is positioned right under you, it would probably increase cabin noise a bit more, but I'd definitely be interested in hearing what this kit sounds like in person compared to aftermarket rear-muffler kits. In the video on LMR, it definitely has a unique sound, but videos never do justice. I always heard great things about Bassani kits for the SN95's, so if I were looking to change my exhaust, I think that kit would be on my list.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I went with a full SW exhaust set-up and have ZERO regrets.

StangMan,

Thanks for chiming in, the SW cat-back was one of the first I looked at. My concern is for the drone, and how loud it is; can you comment on those questions? On a scale of 1-10, how loud, and same with the drone.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I went with the MBRP street system for my wife's car...and kind of regret it. The system is quiet, too quiet. The sound they make at WOT is not good at all. I'm thinking about cutting open the mufflers and doing something....

I was looking for something similar to the roush axle-backs she had on her 2012, but didn't want to hack the stock system.

MOJO,

I am with you, I have heard the MBRP in person, and it is not for me.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I've been looking at parts on LMR all morning just for fun and came across the Bassani Mid-muffler Cat-back system. Now that is interesting because I've heard a lot of people say that nothing beats the sound of the old SN95 4.6's. The theory is that it's because the mufflers are more toward the front of the car, whereas our Coyotes have the mufflers right at the back of the car. The Bassani kit only uses one muffler, which simply replaces the stock resonator, and then it's just straight pipes from the muffler back. It's also quite a bit cheaper ($899) than other CB kits because it only includes one muffler. I would imagine that because the muffler is positioned right under you, it would probably increase cabin noise a bit more, but I'd definitely be interested in hearing what this kit sounds like in person compared to aftermarket rear-muffler kits. In the video on LMR, it definitely has a unique sound, but videos never do justice. I always heard great things about Bassani kits for the SN95's, so if I were looking to change my exhaust, I think that kit would be on my list.

Bran,

At this point, I have too much information... I feel like my first choice is the Gibson cat-back, and second choice is to install a MRT H-pipe, and Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back. The problem is that the SW cat-bat and Bassani Mid-muffler that you speak of sound great in the videos I've seen. My problem is that I haven't heard those systems in person, and the sound is really important to me.

Jay-rod427

Established Member
Bran,

At this point, I have too much information... I feel like my first choice is the Gibson cat-back, and second choice is to install a MRT H-pipe, and Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back. The problem is that the SW cat-bat and Bassani Mid-muffler that you speak of sound great in the videos I've seen. My problem is that I haven't heard those systems in person, and the sound is really important to me.

Personally i outgrew flowmaster long ago. Unique cool sound and all, but the obnoxious drone is a thing for my younger years.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Personally i outgrew flowmaster long ago. Unique cool sound and all, but the obnoxious drone is a thing for my younger years.

Interesting you say that. In my 2011 GT, I had 3" exhaust that I finished off with FM 40's, and I had no drone. I really like the sound of the Magnaflow comps, but I haven't heard them in person; worried they're too loud.

Jay-rod427

Established Member
RTR out for delivery! getting installed tonight. Will try and get a cell phone video, but wont be able to upload it until Monday, don't have home computer.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
RTR out for delivery! getting installed tonight. Will try and get a cell phone video, but wont be able to upload it until Monday, don't have home computer.

Thanks Jay, can't wait to hear your report. I listened to the sound clips of the RTR's, they seemed higher pitched than the standard Magnaflows.

Jay-rod427

Established Member
iPhone video doesn't do it any justice! Nor does any video really. Awesome low rumble, a good bit louder than stock mufflers with no resonator. My exhaust is now perfect:). Nice low rumble, but not obnoxious loud. I'd imagine with reso still in it would be pretty mild.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
iPhone video doesn't do it any justice! Nor does any video really. Awesome low rumble, a good bit louder than stock mufflers with no resonator. My exhaust is now perfect:). Nice low rumble, but not obnoxious loud. I'd imagine with reso still in it would be pretty mild.

Jay, I'm so excited for you. I see you got the street version, how loud is your exhaust on a scale of 1-10? 5 would've stock.

92StangMan

Established Member
StangMan,

Thanks for chiming in, the SW cat-back was one of the first I looked at. My concern is for the drone, and how loud it is; can you comment on those questions? On a scale of 1-10, how loud, and same with the drone.

The car is certainly louder than stock, especially on a cold start. But it's nothing extreme and the drone isn't bad.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Im going with ford racing's sport cat back with the black tips, then later adding american racing headers with high flow cats to bolt right up to it.

jdcobra

Established Member
I'm going with magnaflow street catback and sw longtube headers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Well you know what they say. "You get what you pay for" even though I haven't owned a corsa exhaust for the s550, I have for my 13 superbee and 09 z06. No drone what so ever. Borla s type sounded really good on my 04 cobra. You may be able to get the s type from beefcake for your price.

JD,

I agree that you get what you pay for. I must have spent too much time around jets and ruined my hearing, but I am one of the few who just doesn't like the sound of the Corsa or Borla exhaust systems. I know they are premium systems, and a staple of quality, but they simply don't produce the right tone and note for me. At this point, I have decided on the Gibson cat-back simply because I don't like the idea of chopping up the exhaust to install an axle-back and resonator delete. It has the Flowmaster type sound that I am after without rasp, and in a bolt-on system.

Users who are viewing this thread