Which catback, and where can I get a good deal?

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I'm going with magnaflow street catback and sw longtube headers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't go wrong with Magnaflow JD, I have used them in the past and was very happy. I want something a little louder than the street series, but I don't want to add long-tubes. Let us know how you like your setup.

jdcobra

Established Member
You won't go wrong with Magnaflow JD, I have used them in the past and was very happy. I want something a little louder than the street series, but I don't want to add long-tubes. Let us know how you like your setup.

I actually used to have to comp catback but didn't like the drone. I figured if I go with the street I'll have less volume but it would still sound good

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
So I ended up ordering the Gibson Performance 3 inch Cat-back exhaust. From the begining, the videos all had that certain sound I am after. I have my concerns about how loud it will be as well as the drone factor, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Sound is in the ear of the beholder i like the sound of the mbrp exhaust street. Im familiar with mbrp because i had a 3"cat back on my focus st. My catback will be delivered in a couple of days cant wait..love their quality and the 4.5" tips dont hurt the look. The good thing about buying a catback is if you dont like the sound, some of the axle backs are exchangeable!

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Sound is in the ear of the beholder i like the sound of the mbrp exhaust street. Im familiar with mbrp because i had a 3"cat back on my focus st. My catback will be delivered in a couple of days cant wait..love their quality and the 4.5" tips dont hurt the look. The good thing about buying a catback is if you dont like the sound, some of the axle backs are exchangeable!

Black,

It's so easy to swap the exhaust out on these cars, if we don't like it, we can simple swap it out. Or, like you said, add a different brand of axlebacks. Good luck. Post your experience once you have them installed. The MBRP build quality looks great.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Picked up the car on Friday, and installed the Gibson cat-back yesterday. Instal was easy and it sounds great. Not too loud, and it has the low and deep chambered sound I like. No issues with an anoying drone either. I can definately hear the exhaust note, but I wouldn't call it a drone.

jdcobra

Established Member
Picked up the car on Friday, and installed the Gibson cat-back yesterday. Instal was easy and it sounds great. Not too loud, and it has the low and deep chambered sound I like. No issues with an anoying drone either. I can definately hear the exhaust note, but I wouldn't call it a drone.

Any vids?

krssrls

Established Member
Definitely check out Solo-Performance as well. Three different setups for whatever loudness you want. Deep and not raspy. If you want on the quieter side check out the Mach XV.

I'm running the race system and its awesome. My car was the test bed for it, it's an amazing product..

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Ive had the mbrp cat back on for a week now and the mufflers are starting to break in, the rumble of the h pipe is delicious especially when my auto downshifts in sport mode.. Remote start 1st thing in the morning unleashes the cracken (so to speak) then it idles down to a low roar, i gotta tell you for $600 i got alotta catback. I Was considering the Ford racing cat back but at twice the cost i couldnt justify it...i can feel the small bump in power and better throttle response. I expect, like my focus st mbrp catback, the mufflers will break in completely and sound even better, takes about 500 miles...

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
I have had a lot of the setups out there. My favorite for overall sound and drone & looks is Corsa Sport. 0 drone it is kind of weird and it sounds amazing. I get the most compliments on Kooks LT's with Corsa Sport. I have had Mangaflow, SW, MBRP, Roush, GT500's, SLP LM, and the Corsa.

1quick

Established Member
I did the mbrp black street cat back today, haven't had a chance to drive it yet but it sounds great at idle and revs

jdcobra

Established Member
I have had a lot of the setups out there. My favorite for overall sound and drone & looks is Corsa Sport. 0 drone it is kind of weird and it sounds amazing. I get the most compliments on Kooks LT's with Corsa Sport. I have had Mangaflow, SW, MBRP, Roush, GT500's, SLP LM, and the Corsa.

I love corsa for their amazing sound and zero drone. I can't believe people bitch about the price. Of course you're gonna pay more for a quality product

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I love corsa for their amazing sound and zero drone. I can't believe people bitch about the price. Of course you're gonna pay more for a quality product

JD,

I haven't heard anyone bitch about the price of the Corsa, mostly people are just unwilling to pay for it. I put my budget a $1K for exhaust, and I am happy with my choice. I wouldn't be happy paying $1,300-$1,500 for a cat-back. I think it just comes down to each person's comfort level with cost. I am a huge stickler on quality, and if I felt that the Corsa was the best sounding exhaust bar none, I would pay it; I personally didn't care for the sound of the Corsa or Borla systems.

DarkMach1

Established Member
For the price of these catbacks youre better off doing your custom setup and it wont sound like ass. Just my opinion. Or pick up something used at a decent price. $800+ for a catback and $600+ for axlebacks is just silly. They are preying on people because its a new car on the market.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I wanted to give you guys an update on my exhaust experience in order to help anyone potentially on the fence as to which system to buy. I originally ordered the Gibson performance three inch stainless cat-back exhaust, and have since swapped it out for the Borla Type S 2 ½ in system; below is my review of both systems.

Gibson

I installed the Gibson exhaust about three weeks ago, and I feel like the cold start was louder than I would like living in a gated community where everyone knows each other. I would rate it an 8 on a scale of 1-10; 5 being stock, and 10 being open headers. The volume does go away when warmed up, and it peaks in the lower RPMs. The Gibson sounds great throughout the rpm range, you will get a little bit of raspiness on the high end, but it's not too bad. I took my wife for a drive on PCH last weekend, and she loved the sound, didn't mind the volume, but hated the drone between 60-70 mph in 6th. To be fair, I tend to drive more aggressive when she is not in the car, and I didn’t have an issue with drone. She is one of those people who is very sensitive to bass.

Attempt at a quick fix

Since we take a lot of road trips, I knew I needed to address the drone issue, so I went to a local exhaust shop; there, the guy told me he would suggest making a 2 1/2 inch X-pipe with Magnaflow resonators. He claimed that the drone is associated with the three inch pipes. Since I don't want a pieced together system, I decided to swap to the Borla S-type.

Borla

For the record, I am not a Borla guy, the sound has never appealed to me. I decided to go with the Type S purely on its reputation as a no-drone system. The Borla is a lot quieter on startup compared to the Gibson, but it’s not too quiet; louder than stock, and loud enough to hear at idle. In my opinion, the Borla doesn't sound as good as the Gibson, but it does sound better than I thought it would. It sounds really good at lower RPMs, but it gets raspy a lot earlier than the Gibson; I am not a fan of raspy exhaust. The Borla also lacks the deep bass sound compared to the Gibson, and I assume that is the correction for the drone. Whether it's the 2 1/2 inch piping, or built in resonators, the Borla has no drone at all; it passed the wife test with flying colors. When getting on it, the Borla gets loud, louder than the Gibson by far. Lastly, the build quality and packaging of the Borla is much better than the Gibson. There are relief cuts in the tubing at the junctions to allow for proper clamping, and this is a really nice touch.

Conclusion

The Gibson sounds better and had less rasp. The build quality is fine, but it's not as good as the Borla. The Borla is quieter when driving easy, but louder at the top end. The drone of the Gibson wasn't too bad to me, but if you are sensitive to drone or bass, you won't like it. No drone with the Borla, and quieter cold start if you are concerned about the neighbors.

jdcobra

Established Member
I wanted to give you guys an update on my exhaust experience in order to help anyone potentially on the fence as to which system to buy. I originally ordered the Gibson performance three inch stainless cat-back exhaust, and have since swapped it out for the Borla Type S 2 ½ in system; below is my review of both systems.

Gibson

I installed the Gibson exhaust about three weeks ago, and I feel like the cold start was louder than I would like living in a gated community where everyone knows each other. I would rate it an 8 on a scale of 1-10; 5 being stock, and 10 being open headers. The volume does go away when warmed up, and it peaks in the lower RPMs. The Gibson sounds great throughout the rpm range, you will get a little bit of raspiness on the high end, but it's not too bad. I took my wife for a drive on PCH last weekend, and she loved the sound, didn't mind the volume, but hated the drone between 60-70 mph in 6th. To be fair, I tend to drive more aggressive when she is not in the car, and I didn’t have an issue with drone. She is one of those people who is very sensitive to bass.

Attempt at a quick fix

Since we take a lot of road trips, I knew I needed to address the drone issue, so I went to a local exhaust shop; there, the guy told me he would suggest making a 2 1/2 inch X-pipe with Magnaflow resonators. He claimed that the drone is associated with the three inch pipes. Since I don't want a pieced together system, I decided to swap to the Borla S-type.

Borla

For the record, I am not a Borla guy, the sound has never appealed to me. I decided to go with the Type S purely on its reputation as a no-drone system. The Borla is a lot quieter on startup compared to the Gibson, but it’s not too quiet; louder than stock, and loud enough to hear at idle. In my opinion, the Borla doesn't sound as good as the Gibson, but it does sound better than I thought it would. It sounds really good at lower RPMs, but it gets raspy a lot earlier than the Gibson; I am not a fan of raspy exhaust. The Borla also lacks the deep bass sound compared to the Gibson, and I assume that is the correction for the drone. Whether it's the 2 1/2 inch piping, or built in resonators, the Borla has no drone at all; it passed the wife test with flying colors. When getting on it, the Borla gets loud, louder than the Gibson by far. Lastly, the build quality and packaging of the Borla is much better than the Gibson. There are relief cuts in the tubing at the junctions to allow for proper clamping, and this is a really nice touch.

Conclusion

The Gibson sounds better and had less rasp. The build quality is fine, but it's not as good as the Borla. The Borla is quieter when driving easy, but louder at the top end. The drone of the Gibson wasn't too bad to me, but if you are sensitive to drone or bass, you won't like it. No drone with the Borla, and quieter cold start if you are concerned about the neighbors.

Should have tried the new pypes H box catback or the bassanni. I think those would have been in between what you were looking for

Users who are viewing this thread