Which Cobra R is a better track car??

SDW Racing

Established Member
....it's really like comparing apples to oranges since the motors and technology are so different.

But I figured I'd asked all those that have driven both the 95R and the 00R, which is better suited for dual duty as a track car and a street car??? :idea:

Andy M

Established Member
There are those here who are more qualified than myself (our Moderator being one), as they have owned or currently own both a 95 and a 2000 R model. However, my take on it is that while I love my 2000 R, and it is one hellavu car all around... it is way too heavy in my humble opinion. of course, the 95R is not alot lighter.

If you are looking for a great head turner street driver AND a pretty good track car, then I believe the 2000 R is the choice.

SDW Racing

Established Member
Mark,

Take no offense, its just I was not looking at a 93R. Ut;imately I want a 00R, I just need some background first on where it fits in the R model food chain.

I currently have a mid 90s Stang racer and am familar with teh suspension on them, but in the dark on the 2000.

I'm also looking at modifying the car to some extent, cage, exhaust, chip, diff cooler, engine mods.

JM

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
our gracious modeRatoR should chime in, as he has had both on-track....

though its been a while since the 00R came out from beneath its "cocoon" :poke: :bash: :lol:

Cobra-R

Established Member
I have driven my 00R on the track a few times, but it was when I was new to tracking and could have driven a miata and not known the difference. I have driven Bruce's and Freds R's in anger and find them very fun to drive. I will refer more to Bruce's car since his is closer to stock then Freds.

I believe Bruce had Delrin bushings in the rear of his R when I drove it, otherwise it was pretty much stock. I am comparing to my 95R with a full MM suspension front and rear, but basically at stock hp.

The 95R has my heart, it is just so much fun to go out and run with cars that have 100 rwhp over you and still be able to hang with them. It is a very forgiving car and the low end torque is really great on the shorter tracks. Just remmeber, I have more than the price of a 00R tied up in my 95 with all the upgrades that have been done to this car)

To answer your question, the 00R is by far the better performer. With very few mods, that car will beat my 95R (even with the MM suspension) with equal drivers. It is a heavy car, but the weight difference between it and the 95R is probly less than a 100 lbs which the extra 100 hp easily makes up for. The IRS gets a bad reputation from many trackers, but I honestly think it is pretty decent (compared to the torque arm/PHB setup in my 95)

Buy a 00R, do your safety mods and add Delrin busings along with a diff cooler and you will have a great car.

Brian

SDW Racing

Established Member
Brian,

Thanks for the feedback, that is what I was looking for. Now it looks like all the 00Rs on eBay have dried up (for the holidays?). I don't have any money anyhow, but could possibly be ready to get into one in the spring.

Looking to set a car up primarily for track use and occasional forays on the street.

SDW Racing

Established Member
Ken,

Thanks, but friends don't drive other friends cars at the track!

I had a bad experience in the esses at Watkins Glen in a Cobra and learned my lesson the hard way.

JM

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I normally dont like to drive other people's car's either, but certain events which are laid back and offer alot of track time permit it....drag yer butt out to an SCMC or SVTOA event, and you'll have that opportunity.... :poke: :thumbsup: :beer:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Having ridden in a 2000 and 1995, with 6 different drivers-

2000 is just more precise. Turn wheel, car goes there. Hit brakes, car brakes. Hit gas, car goes.

1995R is more for brute force into and out of turns with torque on demand. Guide the car into turns and out, feel the torque in your kidneys chasing the guy in the red car. Much less refined, but no less fun.

Just my $0.06

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Stock or slightly modified I think the 00R wins hands down.

I personally like the 93R because people aren't used to seeing real ones at the track so it makes it kind of fun in a warped way. Plus the huge weight advantage is enough that you can feel it on the track.

Speaking of that, when are we going to start talking trash about who's going to be fastest at the Autobahn club? Seeing as it's a new track for all of us it will be interesting to see the learning curve........

P.S. JM - No offense taken....everyone here knows what year was proven fastest last year at Gingerman..... ;)

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
SVTHorsnake said:
a cobra R street car? I don't know who would ever be so evil as to drive one as a daily driver...

Not a dailly driver, but I drive mine to each event and back, and just put it away for the winter with 16,xxx miles.... Those seats are the most comfortable I've ever been in. Nashville, Detroit, Carlisle, etc. And I know I will get a lot of flack for this next statement, but I have a complete MACH 460 stereo system in my garage that would just happen to fit a 99+ Mustang. Hmmmm.....

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
DAVESVT2000 said:
Not a dailly driver, but I drive mine to each event and back, and just put it away for the winter with 16,xxx miles.... Those seats are the most comfortable I've ever been in. Nashville, Detroit, Carlisle, etc. And I know I will get a lot of flack for this next statement, but I have a complete MACH 460 stereo system in my garage that would just happen to fit a 99+ Mustang. Hmmmm.....

The Mach 460 has a built in clock as well, doesn't it? If so, I think putting that in your car is a great idea, Dave. :beer:

Brian

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
The Mach 460 has a built in clock as well, doesn't it? If so, I think putting that in your car is a great idea, Dave. :beer:

Brian

That's why I'd do it, make my car 1 of 300 with a clock ...

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
JM - No offense taken....everyone here knows what year was proven fastest last year at Gingerman..... ;)

I KNEW mark just had to get that in ;-) :D

PS what does your 93R weigh? :poke: :lol1:

kevin

DAVESVT2000 said:
That's why I'd do it, make my car 1 of 300 with a clock ...

technically it would be the second. there is photographic proof of the first 00r so (ah em) equiped.

however, due to the extreme weight disadvantages, the certain individual yellered out and finally removed it :poke: ;-) :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JM:

I have only driven two "R's" a modified '95 (Brian's with coil-overs) and mine (relatively stock) so I may not be the best souce of information? But, I can tell you the '00 "R" is an awesome driving car. (Practically drives itself!) Ok, it might be a little heavy and it pushes some. Alright, it pushes a lot! ;-) Trust me, you get used to it.

The motor in the '00 "R" is an awesome piece No Doubt!! I am convinced that car makes me a better driver than I really am.

I think you NEED an '00 "R"!?!?

;-)

Users who are viewing this thread