• S/C 450 RWHP & 3650 lbs

Votes: 723 81.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
What we wound up with was similar to what we got in 03...iron block version of something that already exists...with the exception of the IRS. That makes me think that there is going to be a ultra special version of the Cobra in a few years with the IRS...more weight...hm I can't wait to see it run now that we've seen it.

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
Alot of talk about the power plant. It'll be a 5.4L 4V V8 with a twin screw Whipple S/C. How about making it look different than the Mustang. Let's say a Fastback. That's what I would like to see. If Ford would do something different to the body style to make it different than the Mustang, I would line-up for it! That's just me. :-D

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Well, if you look at the poll, it's about the powerplant and the weight. No styling questions in the poll. Plus, look at the dates. This was all before the concept came out. :idea:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
The Shelby GT500 as annouced is definitely the second option, but I think 3650 lbs is optimistic. It's going to be a MONSTER when is comes to pure "musclecar" power and boulevarde bravado. It is one awesome beast, but I'd like to think it will handle too, but weight's up and live axle will make life interesting on rough backroad twisties. Shelby has always meant handling to me. Not being a drag racer in any way shape or form, I'd personally love to see a tough, dependable 350 to 400hp, 32V aluminum block N/A with a GOOD IRS at 3200 pounds that can CRUSH the upcoming M3 V8 on a road course. But, that's just me. Higher cost would be a major issue (but still a bargin over the Beemer). Yeah, I could go to the Nissan 350Z or a number of other better handling imports, but NOTHING will replace an American-made Mustang and V8 sound/power in my mind. Maybe all I need is a tricked out 05 GT, but I like the exclusive nature of the SVT Cobra marque. I hope we see a good IRS/ aluminum block option. A SHELBY GT350 perhaps??

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

For all you people who dislike the GT500, too bad. We should be grateful that Ford would even produce a car such as that. I love the car, and everything about it. It was time to dispose of the old chasis and move on with the new.

Big deal, so it doesn't have an IRS, Ford's IRS sucks anyway. The new suspension coupled with the new chasis will run circles around the previous generation cobra's. The technological advanced solid axle and the 450 plus hp motor(can you imagine this car with 4:10's) will accelerate like a friggin rocket. This awesome machine with an exhaust, CAI, and gears(the only mods I will consider because I don't want to void my warranty) will probably be at least 500hp at the wheels, and those mods won't void your warranty. This car with gears and fat tires out back will decimate almost everything on the street and track for that matter.

Get ready people, for the most awesome musclecar ever produced, this thing is gonna be scary. I'm glad Ford got rid of the IRS, now I can beat up on all the ricers, eurotrash, corvettes/zo6's,camaros and GTO's w/o worrying about stupid wheel hop.

I love the new look, it's retro but futuristic also. I hope all you GT500 haters don't buy one, that will leave more for me, which means low demand and lower price. The only thing you will ever see from your old Cobra's is my taillights.

P.S We should all thank SVT for giving us a drag car with great suspension at a reasonable price(35-38k for a coupe, at least that's what I've heard). I can't wait to pull up to a stoplight with my 500 plus hp GT500 with gears and fat tires, and have a 80k Viper, 100k porche, 80k Zo6 and BMW next to me, and then just waisting them when the light hits green. I can only imagine the embarrassed look on their faces when all they can see are taillights from an American Mustang GT500 Cobra.

Thanx to Carrol Shelby and SVT, life is looking good

Peace :pop:

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
gonein60 said:
Get ready people, for the most awesome musclecar ever produced, this thing is gonna be scary. I'm glad Ford got rid of the IRS, now I can beat up on all the ricers, eurotrash, corvettes/zo6's,camaros and GTO's w/o worrying about stupid wheel hop.......
I can't wait to pull up to a stoplight with my 500 plus hp GT500 with gears and fat tires, and have a 80k Viper, 100k porche, 80k Zo6 and BMW next to me, and then just waisting them when the light hits green. I can only imagine the embarrassed look on their faces when all they can see are taillights from an American Mustang GT500 Cobra.

As long as you don't have to TURN your Shelby...I think you'll be alright. Let's see 3800lbs...57% or more weight up front....SRA....You will NOT keep up with these cars on a road course or even a series of tight turns on the street. I know handling's not your bag, but every other car you mentioned will do it better. So "beating up" is a relative term and they will know this. Yeah, Grand Am Mustangs are kicking butt with SRA but that's in a car that weighs 3200lb on smooth road courses (and it costs $120K). You got your SRA and actuallly thats' a good thing for droppin the hammer more power to ya, but it I think the Shelby's gonna be "one dimensional" car.

iceman241

Banned
Ummmmm where do you people get 450hp everywhere i read it said 450-plus do you get that keyword plus meaning more they even said in a magazine that it will be close to having 500hp since it is called GT500 makes since and will cost under 40grand around 39grand. Trust me this this car is going to kick the shit out of the new z06 maybe not straight off the lot but with maybe a few hundred dollors in mods you will smack the new z06 around how much will the new z06 cost they said somewhere around 65-75 grand and its going the have about the same hp as the shelby and we all know from past experiences that cobras are underated trust me the shelby will win on price and preformance you think Mr shelby is stupid i dont think so he has won every event against corvettes in the 60s and he will do it again. Also i read in a magazine that if you get the shelby with stripes it wont have the shelby letters on the back so i guess you have to get one without stripes to get the letters and i would get the letters cause if you dont then the value will drop fast.

iceman241

Banned
And one more thing i know people will say well the new z06 is alot lighter then the shelby well think about this the new shelby has basically the same engine and other stuff the Ford GT has just detuned and doesnt the Ford GT wiegh more then the new Z06 and a magzine did a test on the Ford GT and it ran 10.9 stock in a quarter mile so what makes you think the new shelby wont be just as fast think about that one Z06 fans. To me the shelby sounds like the better deal you save 35grand buying the shelby spend about thousand dollars in mods and kick the crap out of the z06.

gonein60

Banned
iceman241 said:
Ummmmm where do you people get 450hp everywhere i read it said 450-plus do you get that keyword plus meaning more they even said in a magazine that it will be close to having 500hp since it is called GT500 makes since and will cost under 40grand around 39grand. Trust me this this car is going to kick the shit out of the new z06 maybe not straight off the lot but with maybe a few hundred dollors in mods you will smack the new z06 around how much will the new z06 cost they said somewhere around 65-75 grand and its going the have about the same hp as the shelby and we all know from past experiences that cobras are underated trust me the shelby will win on price and preformance you think Mr shelby is stupid i dont think so he has won every event against corvettes in the 60s and he will do it again. Also i read in a magazine that if you get the shelby with stripes it wont have the shelby letters on the back so i guess you have to get one without stripes to get the letters and i would get the letters cause if you dont then the value will drop fast.
My sentiments exactly :-D

gonein60

Banned
iceman241 said:
And one more thing i know people will say well the new z06 is alot lighter then the shelby well think about this the new shelby has basically the same engine and other stuff the Ford GT has just detuned and doesnt the Ford GT wiegh more then the new Z06 and a magzine did a test on the Ford GT and it ran 10.9 stock in a quarter mile so what makes you think the new shelby wont be just as fast think about that one Z06 fans. To me the shelby sounds like the better deal you save 35grand buying the shelby spend about thousand dollars in mods and kick the crap out of the z06.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :coolman:

TrueBlueCajun

Established Member
As long as they don't try to compete with the higher end cars (Vipers, Z06s) either one would really do me good. I'd like to see Ford put out a 400+hp Mustang that will fit between the Mustang GT and the Cobra GT500 that would come in a Vert. I really don't need 500hp in a vert but if it's a choice between 300hp and 500hp....hp wins. And no, I'll not stoop and get a Roush Stage 3 or Saleen S/C Vert. I'd prefer to stay with the GT500 for less money.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Well... the poll looks to have been shut down... but does anyone remember the MotorTrend article of WAY back when? When they tested an '01 Cobra (of sorts) that made about 380HP N/A... and was super lightweight (white w/ Red) and then they had a 'Terminator' Supercharged Plowing pig... My vote then was the same... give me the Super Lightweight Road Racer... but Ford couldn't get enough HP out of a N/A application... so Terminator won!

Ultimately the problem with this poll is that... 3200LBS and 350RWHP is a great model... but the MODULAR Motor is probably never able to obtain it! :(

Also... the 450RWHP model isn't what we are getting... I will guess with minor mods (chip & exhaust) this GT500 will be upwards of 550 RWHP! which is DAMN NICE!!!

But all that being said... I would have thrown down for the N/A model... making somewhere near 400RWHP and weighing in a 3200lbs... Although the only way to have gotten near that would be an All Aluminum 5.4... and odds of that are probably slim.

Peace!

redfiregt559

Established Member
just thought I would say, in my new Hot Rod magazine, it said it was gonna be a live axle. Were are you guys hearing IRS? That was one of the cost saving things, and they said the new head of svt did not care about IRS road race yuppies. (His words.) That they are not trying to build or compete with BMW or corvetes, but want pure American muscle.

redfiregt559

Established Member
The Hot Rod magazine also said that it will have at least 450hp. Maybe more, but I doubt it. They are not going to want to come close to the GT it would undermind their flagship car. The Base block is from the truck 3 valve motor with the heads and intake from the GT. No dry sump and such, so unless they bump up the boost how they gonna get 500hp. Not gonna happen but at least the base set up will be there.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Diggy Moe.. I am trying to get the article posted as we speak... it was a MotorTrend issue... looks like to be back in '01 or so... The NA car made 380 HP... 350TQ...

Peace!

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
redfiregt559 said:
The Hot Rod magazine also said that it will have at least 450hp. Maybe more, but I doubt it. They are not going to want to come close to the GT it would undermind their flagship car. The Base block is from the truck 3 valve motor with the heads and intake from the GT. No dry sump and such, so unless they bump up the boost how they gonna get 500hp. Not gonna happen but at least the base set up will be there.
The rating of the Ford GT supercar was changed from 500HP to 550HP, and it's my understanding that it's been dynoed in it's bone stock configuration as having 565HP to the wheels. If I'm wrong about this then someone please correct me, but that's what I've been hearing, and atleast reading on this board anyway.

My point being, that if the GT supercar is over 550HP @ 12 PSI of boost pressure, then the Shelby GT500 also running with the same engine displacement, exact same cylinder heads, and also a twin-screw supercharger shouldn't have any problem running 500HP or very close to it. So I fully expect it to be well over 450HP to say the least.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
thelastz28 said:
Is this thing only going to have 450 HP? Its not even going to be competition for the 06 Covette Z06 with 500 HP! I thought the next Cobra was going to be a Z06 Killer. Guess not. :nono:
If Chevy can't produce a Vette that's not only superior in the handling department, but that's also superior in the HP department as well for another $30K over and above what it's going to cost for the Ford GT500, then that would be pretty pathetic. Don't you think? I don't understand how some people can come across as being disappointed, or downtalk a car that will supposedly list for $40K just because it might not compare to a car that's supposed to come with a $65K or $70K price tag. Where is the logic in that? Will you even be able to purchase the new Vette yourself? I sure wouldn't be able to even if I did like that ugly body style.

Last edited:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey guys! Ok... I got the Motor Trend Article posted... which was very similar to this Poll... 380HP N/A Competition Coupe (Cobra)... and a 400HP... (Lightning 5.4 S/C) Cobra Jet S/C... sorry about the image quality... but at least this may remind some people about this mag article. I was one of the people then... that had hoped to see the Competion car come to life... but really the Cobra Jet S/C did...as the Terminator.

http://www.sccaforums.com/photos/dave_schotz/category1000.aspx

Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread