Which converter for my Cobrajet?

Which converter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

goat-ee

Established Member
I have myself about convinced of buying a converter for my DAILY driven 2011 5.0. The mods are CJ intake, Revolution Auto 5" CAI, cat deletes, GT500 catback, 3.15 gears and drag radials when at the strip.

I'm an old, set in my ways man. I do NOT want the car to be jerky and obnoxious when driving normally (98% of the time). And I don't want to see a big drop in gas mileage either. If I hand the keys to my wife or 16 year old daughter I don't want them to hardly notice the difference.

If I leave a little on the table at the drag strip, that's better than the car being a PITA to drive.

So with all of that in mind, please give your honest opinions!! :beer: Oh, and who has the best deal on what I need??

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Did you run the CJ with the stock converter? I thought you had said in a previous post you were going to. Just curious.

You will see a 2-3 mpg drop in city driving from what I've heard.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
go with the 2c, you'll get a nice pickup, and still great drivability

let me know if we can help you out

92fiveohfox

Established Member
With the right transmission tuning for mpg, you will see no more than a .5 to 1 mpg drop.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these converters wont lock before 3rd gear right? So I would assume anytime you are not in 3rd gear or above, mpg will hurt. I guess you could have it shifting into 3rd @ 20mph but around here(Houston area) there are stop lights all over the place, so I'm constantly above and below that speed. 1mpg drop would be great and I'd actually consider buying one.

goat-ee

Established Member
Did you run the CJ with the stock converter? I thought you had said in a previous post you were going to. Just curious.

You will see a 2-3 mpg drop in city driving from what I've heard.

I'm keeping the stock at least long enough to try it out at the strip once and see how it does. If nothing else it will be a good comparison with a new one, if I end up going that way. I hope the mph doesn't drop that much, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either if it does.

go with the 2c, you'll get a nice pickup, and still great drivability

let me know if we can help you out

Can you PM your price?

Last edited:

drewzx3

Established Member
I had a 2c and only picked up .15 n/a. Not worth it in my opinion. I swapped to a 4c but hvae not gotten any clean passes yet. The 4c drives just as good as the 2c.

KrisR

Established Member
I have a 5C and like it. You will most likely get used to it within a week (I did), but then again I drive more on the highway/freeway where the converter is locked most of the time anyway.

I have heard that the 3C is a good midrange converter, but I have also heard that that driveability is similar to the 5C, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.

4VFTW

Established Member
strictly n/a? 5c
Nitrous? 4c
FI? call Chris@CircleD

a 5c is perfectly driveable on the street if the tune is right

coyote302

Established Member
I had a 2c and only picked up .15 n/a. Not worth it in my opinion. I swapped to a 4c but hvae not gotten any clean passes yet. The 4c drives just as good as the 2c.
2 C not worth it.....???? My 60 ft drop from 1.87-1.90 to 1.60 -1.65.....from 11.76 to11.26 ..mod in my sig...gain exactly .5 sec from converter and x pipe. Solid .3 from converter alone.

goat-ee

Established Member
Wow, each choice is getting about the same amount of votes? Seems odd? To those who have done the install, I assume it will be about the same as pulling a transmission for a clutch on my Cobra's? So expect an all day'er? I wonder how many hours a shop would charge for the job, in case I were to feel lazy this time around?

2 C not worth it.....???? My 60 ft drop from 1.87-1.90 to 1.60 -1.65.....from 11.76 to11.26 ..mod in my sig...gain exactly .5 sec from converter and x pipe. Solid .3 from converter alone.

Do you happen to have video after the 2C install?

Last edited:

coyote302

Established Member
Last edited:

drewzx3

Established Member

Did you run with the exact same setup? Same tire and same da? Everything was the same for me same da and all went from 1.78 to 1.66 and 11.69 to 11.56

itSSlow98

Established Member
Id do the 4c, with the Cj intake theres no point in having it if your not getting it into the powerband fast enough and keeping it there.

Shaun@AED

The typical 4C A6 with stock gears gets out of the hole around 3200-3400 based on data logs at the track. (RPM stall speed vs 1 MPH on launch) And does not hit 5000RPM in 1st gear till 25MPH with a 3.15 gear.

The typical Manual trans launch I do with sticky tires STARTS at 4K before dropping the clutch.

That should give you a good idea of the kind of stall you need to compete with the M6 cars on Slicks with the same mods.
*Edit* Keep in mind a transbrake should help launch RPM with a tighter converter. *Edit*

Data log visual below:

M6 with 3.73's and slicks (I did not log MPH so the graph shows RPM vs Throttle position)
373M6Launch_zps6486a7ab.gif

A6 with 4C converter and stock 3.15 gears (Log is RPM vs MPH so you can see when the car starts to move vs RPM)
315A64CLaunch_zpsfbdac1e1.gif

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Shaun, I see what you mean completely. And i'm feeling the converter idea more and more. I finally got the CJ on today and your 1st tune feels really good, but i'll get logs ASAP. Then once you are happy with the logs, to the track i'll go and decide if a converter is needed or not?

goat-ee

Established Member
I understand that the 5C is without a doubt the best for drag racing only. But I really don't know if I can stand the flash when just babying it around during the other 98% of the time that the car will be seeing daily driving duty?!?!

Anyone else out there who has done a converter that is really picky about driveability and your impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread