Which kit for what???

patricks806

Established Member
Okay so I'm sure this is a question that has been asked many times throughout the forums but I've been reading a bunch and just can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I have a 2011 GT with Longtube Headers, OR X pipe, electric dumps after the "X", Pypes axleback, Pulstar sparkplugs, Accel super coils, Eibach Pro-Street Coil Over kit, and an SCT iTSX wireless tuner from AM with "Free Tunes For Life" from BAMA. After reading a ton of threads I'm pretty sure I have narrowed my search down to either an On3 TT, Paxton, or Vortech setup for my car. Just need help in deciding which one would be best for whatever the stock Engine/ Drivetrain can handle and still keep my car as a DD for 5+ years.

First off I want to ask about the reliability of the On3 Twin Turbo kit for the 2011 GT. I'm not too worried about any mistakes/ counterfeit products he has sold in the past, strictly on the kit I would be receiving for my 2011 GT if I chose to go that route. I am aware there were initially some errors with the install clearances but from what I have read so far those have all been worked out. If anybody has the On3 Twin Turbo kit for their 2011 or newer car please feel free to give me all the good and bad. Does it require any routine maintenance/ inspections or things I should keep an eye out for?

Next is the Vortech/ Paxton. From what I've read one is better for higher power ranges while the other is best if your strictly staying within the power range the stock sytem is capable of handling. Does anybody have any further knowledge based upon the fact that I plan to stay stock on everything else? Of course I want to spend as least amount of money as possible but also want to keep my car & power adder alive for as long as possible, which means if I have to spend the extra $1000 for the Paxton/ Vortech over the On3 then I will. Same with these, do the require any routine maintenance/ inspections?
Would I need to purchase anything that wouldn't come with either of these kits?

Another random question I had is regarding my tuner I bought from AM. Would/ should I ask Bama to write a tune for whichever system I decide to purchase since it would be free or just pay the extra $ for a shop to tune it?
I don't get back home until April so there is plenty of time to figure out all the do's and dont's lol

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Last edited:

patricks806

Established Member
Okay maybe I asked for too much lol, does anybody have at least some knowledge of how the new TT On3 kit is holding up?

bigblue95z

Established Member
From what I've read for the On3 kit, there are a lot of sub-par components in the kit that keep the price cheap. But nothing a little extra money for upgrades couldn't fix. Keep in mind that the price of this kit does not include any fuel system upgrades as far as BAP or injectors. I'm not really a fan of turbo builds. Just personal preference.

If you are interested in questions about Vortech/Paxton, go have a chat with BeefcakeRacing or JPC. They seem to know a thing or 2 about them....

Any of these kits can push your motor beyond what it handle. Your best bet is to get a dyno tune over the mailorder stuff no matter which one you decide as long as it's from someone who knows what the f they're doing.

patricks806

Established Member
From what I've read for the On3 kit, there are a lot of sub-par components in the kit that keep the price cheap. But nothing a little extra money for upgrades couldn't fix. Keep in mind that the price of this kit does not include any fuel system upgrades as far as BAP or injectors. I'm not really a fan of turbo builds. Just personal preference.

If you are interested in questions about Vortech/Paxton, go have a chat with BeefcakeRacing or JPC. They seem to know a thing or 2 about them....

Any of these kits can push your motor beyond what it handle. Your best bet is to get a dyno tune over the mailorder stuff no matter which one you decide as long as it's from someone who knows what the f they're doing.

Thanks for the input! You think a BAP would be required if I use 47lbs injectors and keep the boost around 6#

hitmix300

Established Member
Thanks for the input! You think a BAP would be required if I use 47lbs injectors and keep the boost around 6#

It would definitely be recommended. I wouldn't risk a lean condition over a 200$ fail safe. Good luck with your build. Imho your best bet is a Paxton kit with id1000s.

patricks806

Established Member
It would definitely be recommended. I wouldn't risk a lean condition over a 200$ fail safe. Good luck with your build. Imho your best bet is a Paxton kit with id1000s.

That's a good point. I've been really leaning toward the Paxton setup from beefcake, heard it has a little more potential than the vortech, plus I won't have to worry about tapping into my drip pan right?. Would also be much easier than having to replace my headers again, and have to worry about all the extra piping. It's just hard to pass up the power potential from a turbo, if I ever did decide to beef up the engine, but I guess I can always sell the Paxton kit to make up the majority of my money.
If I did go with the Paxton would I get better results with a Boss or Cobra manifold? Or just fine with the stock one

hitmix300

Established Member
No tapping required. I believed the Paxton is a self contained unit and doesn't use engine oil. You paid a lot for your exhaust I would leave it alone and go blower for sure. I'm not sure if your a manual or auto but there a lot of mixed opinions on high runner intake manifolds. My personal opinion would be to run the stock manifold to offset fuel bap cost and then you don't have to worry as much on spinning the motor to far on the stock oil pump gears which have been known to fail. The whole point of those intakes is RPM

patricks806

Established Member
I have an auto, and plan to spend the extra 200 or so to replace the oil pump gears myself just to be safe. Last thing I need is my wife in my ear complaining about having to put more money in that car if the gears fail lol. You make some really good points on all of this, thank for helping me out! Now I can go and start building my kit so I have a nice project waiting for me when I get home :dancenana:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
any of the 3 can more than push the limits of your engine.

the vortech is a smaller head unit and comes pullied for another 1-1.5 psi of boost. so it's closer to its peak efficiency, but can still go 9.6's so far.

the Paxton has a little more growing potential, but don't fear the vortech if you want the black kit.

as far as tuning, I would recommend our custom tuning, we do 1-3 of these kits a week for years. we have a ton of experience with lund racing on them.

we have on3 as well, but do not support tuning on the kits.

can set you up with great deals on whatever you need

patricks806

Established Member
any of the 3 can more than push the limits of your engine.

the vortech is a smaller head unit and comes pullied for another 1-1.5 psi of boost. so it's closer to its peak efficiency, but can still go 9.6's so far.

the Paxton has a little more growing potential, but don't fear the vortech if you want the black kit.

as far as tuning, I would recommend our custom tuning, we do 1-3 of these kits a week for years. we have a ton of experience with lund racing on them.

we have on3 as well, but do not support tuning on the kits.

can set you up with great deals on whatever you need

What is your website, I'll go check out what you have.
So you offer the entire On3 kit but currently don't write a tune for it?

KINGPINracing

Established Member
I assume you're installing yourself? I say Paxton. Love mine. Installed in my garage over 4 days taking my time. Bought from JPC and running their tune. Call them up. They'll give good advice.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What is your website, I'll go check out what you have.
So you offer the entire On3 kit but currently don't write a tune for it?

teambeefcakeracing.com

we don't advertise the kits normally, but they are local to us, we mostly do their fox body stuff, but have access to anything they sell

patricks806

Established Member
Okay thank you! I will check out your website, heard nothing but great things about your customer service and willingness to help so I'll definitely be going through you when I do get my kit.

patricks806

Established Member
I assume you're installing yourself? I say Paxton. Love mine. Installed in my garage over 4 days taking my time. Bought from JPC and running their tune. Call them up. They'll give good advice.

Thanks man! Yeah I plan to do all the work myself. Down to deciding the tune now and so far JPC has nothing but great reviews on their tune. Did you have to grind or cut anything besides the stock manifold cover?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Okay thank you! I will check out your website, heard nothing but great things about your customer service and willingness to help so I'll definitely be going through you when I do get my kit.

no problem

and I can be reached from 8am to 10pm seven days a week if you need help along the way

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The paxton/Vortech kits are fairly easy to install. And are the least expensive kits too. I like mine it's a lot of fun to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread