Which Shifter to use....?? 04Cobra

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
I took my 04 Cobra to the track this past Tuesday night and was very pleased with the car and the times I ran. (Best times: 60': 2.00 1/8: 8.30 @ 86 MPH 1/4: 12.73 @ 111 MPH) Also the only thing added to this car was insurance and gasoline, Bone stock. However the one thing I noticed more than traction not being present was the shifter, I felt like it was 2 miles to 3rd gear? LOL.. What shifter should I run? and why, is one better than the other? Thanks for your time and input. Jeffrey

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I have the steeda tri-ax...I like it a lot. Be sure to get CobraBobs gasket set to quiet down the trans noise.

Last edited:

hunterp

Established Member
The new MGW shifter is one of the best engineered shifters I've ever seen. I think hands down, the best shifter on the market right now.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
i have the pro 5.0 and its about as good as the stock unit, ive driven 5spd mustang and those stock shifters are horrible but i think our stock unit is pretty damn good, if u want a shorter throw and ur on a buget just get a shorter handle. i bought my kona handle off ebay for like $12 and its actualy pretty nice and pretty beefy and gives its a shorter stick feel.

also one thing i dont like about my 5.0 is while u pull it to the left it pops back to the middle real fast, faster than stock (stiffer spring tension) but if you pull it to the right (5th-6th) it doesnt come back at all (like it has no springs) so u have to manualy put it in the center, i miss that about the stock unit.

oh and it didnt help any with miss shifts, i think the quandrant, adjuster do a better job at that

Fast Willy

Established Member
I like the steeda one. I like it because it has the gates on it and mot people say that its not worth the extra money, but to me being a person that throws it really hard into gear I like having the gates to make sure that I dont hurt anything. Thats just my opinion though. Plus I got the shifter for $115 bran new

projekZERO said:
i have the pro 5.0 and its about as good as the stock unit, ive driven 5spd mustang and those stock shifters are horrible but i think our stock unit is pretty damn good, if u want a shorter throw and ur on a buget just get a shorter handle. i bought my kona handle off ebay for like $12 and its actualy pretty nice and pretty beefy and gives its a shorter stick feel.

also one thing i dont like about my 5.0 is while u pull it to the left it pops back to the middle real fast, faster than stock (stiffer spring tension) but if you pull it to the right (5th-6th) it doesnt come back at all (like it has no springs) so u have to manualy put it in the center, i miss that about the stock unit.

oh and it didnt help any with miss shifts, i think the quandrant, adjuster do a better job at that

:eek:

I have the 5.0 and love it....If you are missing gears that much you need a AOD!!!!! I do however agree that the stock plastic clutch adjuster is a POS! :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's great that there are so many great choices. Seems that everyone usually has their favorite. I had the TriAx and liked it, but would probably try the MGW if I still had my Cobra. LOL!

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
CobraBob said:
It's great that there are so many great choices. Seems that everyone usually has their favorite. I had the TriAx and liked it, but would probably try the MGW if I still had my Cobra. LOL!
You just trying to sale me some GASKETS?...................J/K....I had already been told about your gasket kit, sounds like a must for these cars!! Thanks for your and others replies!! At least now I feel as if I can make a good decision base on all information you guys sent. I am new to this board and already wish I had came on board sooner!! Thanks everybody, Jeffrey

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
JeffreyKirkland said:
You just trying to sale me some GASKETS?...................J/K....I had already been told about your gasket kit, sounds like a must for these cars!! Thanks for your and others replies!! At least now I feel as if I can make a good decision base on all information you guys sent. I am new to this board and already wish I had came on board sooner!! Thanks everybody, Jeffrey
Hey Jeffrey, welcome to the board. Be sure to come back often because there's always something to learn here.

If you ever do need a gasket set just let me know. My gasket is actually included with the MGW shifter. It really does work....on any T-56 shifter. ;-)

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Hey guys I am looking for shifter too, in reference to gates. Does the MGW shifter have gates similar to the Tri-Ax shifter? Got tired of messing with the stock one. Thanks for all the great info guys I am learning alot from this site.

Users who are viewing this thread