Which Short Throw Shifter?

waydeg

Established Member
I'm an old Hurst fan but have heard the MGW is ideal for our Cobras.
I like the fact that the MGW has more adjustability but I've never been disappointed with the Hurst line of products.
What are some of the pros and cons? I talked to several guys who also like the Pro 5.0 shifter.
I'm more inclined for road racing than at the strip.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
i'm an old hurst fan but have heard the mgw is ideal for our cobras.
I like the fact that the mgw has more adjustability but i've never been disappointed with the hurst line of products.
What are some of the pros and cons? I talked to several guys who also like the pro 5.0 shifter.
I'm more inclined for road racing than at the strip.

<mgw is the best >

I have the orange, great for the Road Course.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
MGW orange here...did a lot of research on this matter before I purchased mine...

divided

Established Member
I have the orange handle MGW. Love the adjustability. Both up and down as well as angling it toward you. Really makes shifting easier IMO.

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
Just installed mine 2 weeks ago after having the car for 4 days. Best upgrade in my opinion. MGW all the way.... It is impossible to be dissapointed with the MGW orange shifter.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I have the Steeda Tri Ax and hated it at first. Now that I'm getting used to it, it's growing on me. But I have heard nothing but good things about MGW, I don't think u could go wrong with MGW.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I have MGW and its decent, but I don't think it lives up to all the hype on SVTP. I'm might try a Pro 5.0 sometime in the near future. Thats what the best shifter was before MGW came out...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have had both a pro5.0 AD a MGW and will have to give the edge to the MGW. It is a great shifter.

My advice to you is to go to your local mustang club and ask around. If you ask nice they will probably let you sit in the car and run through the gears. If you are nice and respectful they might let you run it around the block to get a feel for the shifter. Some will, Some won't and it doesn't hurt to ask. It is how I got my look at the pro5.0, steeda, hurst and a couple of others.

I liked the pro5.0 best at the time. I bought my MGW after hearing good things about it here so bought one untested and sight unseen. Had it put on my 04 and put it through its paces when I got home on vacation. I will likely buy another one to replace the Pro5.0 in my 95.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Pro 5.0 here,I like it.I`d like to try the MGW after all the comments i`ve read since joining here!

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I may be one of the few to ever sell an MGW, but I thought it was too loud on my particular tranny, I even tried the shifter gaskets (helped, but not enough). I went back to stock due to lots of noise. My redfire came with an MGW, and it's not too loud, but something inside my DSG car's tranny was so loud with the MGW. I doubt I can run any aftermarket shifter. I doubt you will have the bad luck I did.

Evan5469

Established Member
I had the Pro5.0 on a 98 that I owned right before my 04. While I really liked the Pro5.0 I have to give the edge to the MGW that I have on the 04 now because of the adjustability. I don't have any experience with Hurst products but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either the Pro5.0 or the MGW.

laruei

Established Member
MGW and cobra bob gaskets here and i love it... :bowdown:

make sure you wait the 5k miles for it to break in before deciding if your happy.. once its broke in its WAY better..

Users who are viewing this thread