Which street tires offer the most grip.

04nccobra

Established Member
I figured that I would post here as you folks have been racing the Cobras for a long time. I'd like to know what street tires (non drag radial) do you feel offer the most grip in a street/strip format?

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
In the street tire class in SCCA, the Kumho escta XS is the hot ticket. Best bang for your buck. I'd say a close second is the NT05.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I have Continental DW's on mine and I love them. Have a ton of grip but they haven't lasted very long, i'm almost due new one's.

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive always ran street tires...i like the oem but not the cost..

i did bfg kdw(1st design) 275,,and in 285..nail catchers

i did kuhmos,,,ran my best time 12.85@114,,but dont like the sway feel from sidewalls

i tried bfg sport,,,trash

i tried goodyear allseason,,trash

im now on yokohoma s-drive....275-40-17...ive noticed these hook better than all the others...im not spinning where i would have ,,we dont beat our car.

some of these tires get really bad when only half worn,,they spin with light throttle,,

i would say i get 40k avg on tire wear

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
As mentioned already....NT05 non R. Great street tire and does very well in the wet.

Silver TT

Established Member
When I bought the car it had Nitto NT05s. Could easily easily spin the tires all through 2nd gear and part of 3rd. It was laughable trying to get traction. Car is about 600 rwhp on pump / 680 rwhp on ethanol.

Recently put on TFs with new Kumho Ecsta XS and they grip like crazy. Can't spin tires in 2nd gear anymore unless WOT and will only spin in 1st at 1/2 throttle or more. Used to spin in first with about 1/4 throttle.

These tires also won a recent braking and acceleration test of all road race / auto cross tires. Very happy with them and ride improved dramatically over the Nittos as well.

SVTDice

Established Member
Hmmm, Very interesting what do you guys think of Toyo Proxies R1R's for front tires? I'm looking at options when my Pilot sports wear out, The R1R's look like good tires but I'm not sure. Anybody got any better suggestions?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Hmmm, Very interesting what do you guys think of Toyo Proxies R1R's for front tires? I'm looking at options when my Pilot sports wear out, The R1R's look like good tires but I'm not sure. Anybody got any better suggestions?

No love for the pilots? I was thinking about trying them but they are $$$

SVTDice

Established Member
No love for the pilots? I was thinking about trying them but they are $$$

Honestly, They came on the car when I bought it. They are not bad tires its just I don't think I would ever buy them. I honestly would prefer something that gave me a bit more grip. And more bite around the corners, Then again I am running a older version of the pilots. I'm not sure how the new super sports are.

But yeah, For the price I wouldnt buy another set of Pilots when these wear out.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I have Continental DW's on mine and I love them. Have a ton of grip but they haven't lasted very long, i'm almost due new one's.

Fantastic tire, and very reasonably priced!!! Very nice grip AND handling.

I run them in 275/40-18 on my 2000R wheels and paid about $150 per tire. Can't say enough good things about them, but haven't had them on long enough to comment on tread life (although they do have a 340 rating).

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Fantastic tire, and very reasonably priced!!! Very nice grip AND handling.

I run them in 275/40-18 on my 2000R wheels and paid about $150 per tire. Can't say enough good things about them, but haven't had them on long enough to comment on tread life (although they do have a 340 rating).

I've only had mine since January and they're down to the treadwear indicators on the dry portion. But i cant say enough about the grip and handling!

Users who are viewing this thread