Whining noise at around 70km/h (44MPH) in 5 and 6 gear.

bull3441

Established Member
Just take it into the dealer- it could be a simple adjustment-or it could need a clutch. Take it in monday- 1st year cars have warranties for a reason
The clutches are self adjusting, nothing the dealer can do.

bull3441

Established Member
Every GT500 I've driven or rode in does this, stop worrying and enjoy the car. It's the blower, you're in too high of a gear and low RPM. And a burnt clutch smells like brake pads. If the clutch isn't slipping in high gear I wouldn't worry about it, not like Ford will warranty anyway.

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
Dude, please don't take this the wrong way ok ??? but - guy - you are putting the car in friggin 5th and 6th at 44 mph??? Seriously man, - you have to use some common sense here - you are BOGGING the car down and putting a lot of load on the car - the car - or any car for that matter is not meant to be driven at that low of a speed in that high of a gear... You seriously must be at near the thing stalling - heck I'm surprised it's not bucking back and forth. Keep the car's rpms within a range of 1600 - 2400 rpms when cruising around. At 44 mph you should basically never be in anything higher than 4th.. Putting the car in 6th should be reserved for AT LEAST 70 mph... otherwise you will BOGG the car. sorry for being so direct. but in this case it's needed.

On another note -- don't ever accelerate hard while not being in the proper gear (example - stabbing /flooring the throttle in 4th gear when going 50 mph... it puts tremendous load on the engine and this is how MANY 03-04 cobras blew up...

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Yeah mine doesn't vibrate but the clutch has started slipping a bit in the higher gears on the highway. If I go to speed up a bit in 5th going about 110 then sometimes it will rev to an insane rpm out of the blue.

Every GT500 I've driven or rode in does this, stop worrying and enjoy the car. It's the blower, you're in too high of a gear and low RPM. And a burnt clutch smells like brake pads. If the clutch isn't slipping in high gear I wouldn't worry about it, not like Ford will warranty anyway.

I can't go and enjoy the car because if I'm in 4, 5, or 5th gear the clutch starts slipping :(

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
Im not driving my car tha soft....i get rear whine in 3rd and 4th(from what I can hear) around the 2Kish point when im cruising....decel/accel no whine... Like I said no issues...wood knock...03mineral....Is this what you had as well???

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Now my clutch is slipping in third gear..... So it's going in first thing in the morning..... Didn't drive it all day, I think this is all related though, the sound I'm hearing and the clitch

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
Wanna tell me what makes you think that, bud?

40-45mph in 5th and 6th gear lugging the car out need I say more who knows what else your doing. In all honestly whats the big deal new cars have warranties for a reason use it its really not that hard....

Before I would ever make a topic on here I would take the car to the dealer if something is ever wrong with it thats why you have a warranty,

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Dude, please don't take this the wrong way ok ??? but - guy - you are putting the car in friggin 5th and 6th at 44 mph??? Seriously man, - you have to use some common sense here - you are BOGGING the car down and putting a lot of load on the car - the car - or any car for that matter is not meant to be driven at that low of a speed in that high of a gear... You seriously must be at near the thing stalling - heck I'm surprised it's not bucking back and forth. Keep the car's rpms within a range of 1600 - 2400 rpms when cruising around. At 44 mph you should basically never be in anything higher than 4th.. Putting the car in 6th should be reserved for AT LEAST 70 mph... otherwise you will BOGG the car. sorry for being so direct. but in this case it's needed.

On another note -- don't ever accelerate hard while not being in the proper gear (example - stabbing /flooring the throttle in 4th gear when going 50 mph... it puts tremendous load on the engine and this is how MANY 03-04 cobras blew up...

d15b6bd0-80ea-e22b.jpg

And don't take this the wrong way, but you are seriously bad at math. 4th gear at 110 km/h is roughly 70 MPH. The car doesn't drop below 1500 rpm or bog in 6th gear at 70 KM/H which in your out of date measurement system is 45 MPH. I'm driving the car the way Ford documents to so I guess I'll stop driving the way I'm told and listen to some random dude on car forums now.

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
LOL u came on here to listen to random car forum dudes remember. Who were u expecting the head of SVT Engineering?

And your BAD at READING that chart is for MAXIMUM FUEL ECONOMY READ THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has nothing to do with DRIVING RECOMMENDATIONS OR INSTRUCTIONS PERIOD!!!!!!

No one in there right mind is going 45mph in 6th with a car that does 60mph in first it just doesnt happen.........

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
40-45mph in 5th and 6th gear lugging the car out need I say more who knows what else your doing. In all honestly whats the big deal new cars have warranties for a reason use it its really not that hard....

Before I would ever make a topic on here I would take the car to the dealer if something is ever wrong with it thats why you have a warranty,

See above post I shift into 6th and use cruise control the car isn't below 1300-1500 rpm at anytime. I'm following exactly what is in the 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 Supplement.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
LOL u came on here to listen to random car forum dudes remember. Who were u expecting the head of SVT Engineering?

And your BAD at READING that chart is for MAXIMUM FUEL ECONOMY READ THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has nothing to do with DRIVING RECOMMENDATIONS OR INSTRUCTIONS PERIOD!!!!!!

No one in there right mind is going 45mph in 6th with a car that does 60mph in first it just doesnt happen.........

I will assume if the car is bogging then it would also be close to stalling, which is not the case when I've been driving it.

I'm driving the car the way I was taught to drive a manual. So if I was taught wrong then okay.

The car doesn't go below 1500 rpm in any of the gears when I'm driving. I would assume that it's not going to stall at 1500 rpm and it certainly not bogging.

I was going 70 mph in forth when I went to pass and the clutch started slipping not 50 mph and hammering the throttle just to confirm that.

Last edited:

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
No comment on the chart now huh? look never mind all of it, Take the car to the dealer and they will fix it

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
No comment on the chart now huh? look never mind all of it, Take the car to the dealer and they will fix it

No I just didn't write anything, I was aware that it says for Maximum Fuel Economy but now I can see where you are coming from in that sense, I was just under the feeling that if the car isn't stalling (or more appropriately doesn't start resonating/bogging and it's not bucking back and forth [as red dude said] or dipping below 1500 RPM the engine would still have a mechanical advantage. Some of the stuff that was written isn't exactly spot on and it was just from memory in a pissed of ranting mood i was in, the car is never running below 1500 RPM just to confirm that but if it should be running closer to 2000 RPM. I rarely go into 6th at 70 (KM/H) for the most part I'm in 5th (which is about 1800-2000 RPM, 6th jumps down to 1500 RPM).

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Clutch Protection
Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic powertrain feature to reduce clutch damage. When excessive clutch slip is detected at a high power level, the powertrain control module will limit torque to reduce damage to the clutch. Full power is restored as soon as the clutch is fully engaged. This feature is calibrated in a way that does not interfere with normal driving and does not impede maximum acceleration capability.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Ok anyway find any info out on this? last night I was hearing a constant low pitch whine coming from the rear at 80mph in 6th gear, go down to 70 mph and it almost go away.....kind of weird. The car drives fine, power everything is good....but when I listen for it I hear it...thoughts? wondering if a call to SVT is in order before going to the dealer

Users who are viewing this thread