Whipple Coming This Weekend !

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Dammit Larry, why did you go, and buy a Whipple? When are you going to have it installed? If i like it, there might be a KB, Sheet metal plenum, and K&N FIPK for sale soon.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Nvr_Spds said:
Dammit Larry, why did you go, and buy a Whipple? When are you going to have it installed? If i like it, there might be a KB, Sheet metal plenum, and K&N FIPK for sale soon.

I'm driving to Fresno to Whipple and picking it up Sat. If it's not raining Sunday I'll install it then. :burnout:

spanky777will

Established Member
larry

congrats on the purchase. you are going to love it.

I have my truck up and running and the whine is absolutely INSANE at idle. i am running an 8lb lower 3.25 upper. plus the whine when you slow down is insane also

hopefully i will have a vid up by this weekend of it.

thos is exactly how yours will look minus the shinyness:
Picture_095.jpg

Tell dustin that will with the black lightning said hello also. he has done a lot to get me the first kit and sent me a lot of stuff so i am a whipple customer for good. plus since all the turbo results suck i am prob going to keep it now.

Will

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
:rockon: :rockon: Badass Larry, can't wait for the videos and numbers!!! :rockon: :rockon:

JollyGiant

Established Member
Aloha Larry

Here's some tips on your upcoming installation. (Some stuff that I found wrong/missing in the instructions)

1. There is no need to drain cooling system.
2. Torque the intercooler bolts to 53 in lbs not 8 ft lbs. They will pull the threads from the intake manifold if you use the 8 ft lbs setting.
3. I had to grind a slot in the boost bypass solenoid adapter to fit my bypass solenoid. (some fit ok)
4. I had to drill the holes for the egr solenoid slightly larger as they changed the bolt size from 10-32 to 5mm.
5. There are 2 small vacuum hoses that attach to barbs on the back of the blower plenum. Make sure you attach these hoses before installing the blower as there is no way to get your hand behind the blower once it is installed on the manifold. Don't ask how I know.

The installation takes a while since so many things get changed but the instructions are very detailed and the kit is extremely well engineered and made.

I'm sure you'll love it when your done. :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

Mine makes about 2 pounds more boost than the KB did. I had a 3.25" pulley on the KB and a 3.5" pulley on the Whipple.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
:pop: I can't wait to see how this turns out!!!
Congrats Larry! :beer: Good choice leaving it black btw, they look meaner in black!!

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
spanky777will said:
larry

congrats on the purchase. you are going to love it.

I have my truck up and running and the whine is absolutely INSANE at idle. i am running an 8lb lower 3.25 upper. plus the whine when you slow down is insane also

hopefully i will have a vid up by this weekend of it.

thos is exactly how yours will look minus the shinyness:
Picture_095.jpg

Tell dustin that will with the black lightning said hello also. he has done a lot to get me the first kit and sent me a lot of stuff so i am a whipple customer for good. plus since all the turbo results suck i am prob going to keep it now.

Will

Looks great Will. Thanks for the pic. :rockon:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
JollyGiant said:
Aloha Larry

Here's some tips on your upcoming installation. (Some stuff that I found wrong/missing in the instructions)

2. Torque the intercooler bolts to 53 in lbs not 8 ft lbs. They will pull the threads from the intake manifold if you use the 8 ft lbs setting.
3. I had to grind a slot in the boost bypass solenoid adapter to fit my bypass solenoid. (some fit ok)
4. I had to drill the holes for the egr solenoid slightly larger as they changed the bolt size from 10-32 to 5mm.
5. There are 2 small vacuum hoses that attach to barbs on the back of the blower plenum. Make sure you attach these hoses before installing the blower as there is no way to get your hand behind the blower once it is installed on the manifold. Don't ask how I know.

The installation takes a while since so many things get changed but the instructions are very detailed and the kit is extremely well engineered and made.

I'm sure you'll love it when your done. :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

Mine makes about 2 pounds more boost than the KB did. I had a 3.25" pulley on the KB and a 3.5" pulley on the Whipple.

Thanks for the help. I'll remember those tips. :beer:

Thanks everybody else. :rockon: :beer: :pepper: :banana:

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Is it too early to call dibs on the Whipple Larry?? I mean, you're probably gonna upgrade it when the 3.3 comes out anyway, right?? :poke:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
IEatGt's said:
Is it too early to call dibs on the Whipple Larry?? I mean, you're probably gonna upgrade it when the 3.3 comes out anyway, right?? :poke:

:lol: I don't think I'll ever need the 3.3.
She won't hook up now. Time for slicks. :burnout:

spanky777will

Established Member
JollyGiant said:
Aloha Larry

Those are GREAT tips. esp number 2. I had the original installation insturctions and dustin wantem me to help him out in making them and the origional instructions said 12 ft lbs. i had the same problem. let dustin know and based on my engineering books and the material used recommended the max is 8-10 ft lbs.

BTW mine is the old lynsholm compressor so there will also be some change between mine and yours there too

AND FOR THE LAST TIME THERE WILL BE NO PRODUCTIONS LIGHTNING 3.3

Will

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
spanky777will said:
AND FOR THE LAST TIME THERE WILL BE NO PRODUCTIONS LIGHTNING 3.3

Will

So, when will the 3.3 be out for our trucks :poke: :lol1: :rollseyes :rolling: :D :burnout: :p :fart: :bs:

JollyGiant

Established Member
Here's some pictures of the new version

8afa77005ed4a2c47f819eb0aecf3b5d.jpg

Here's all the pieces from the box

7b0f1c6599e4c691b48df46375d9bc20.jpg

Close-up of the blower

05f6ecdee6cdc83337b3ff3e0a55c379.jpg

Half way thru the install - Whipple manifold with intercooler bolted to engine. This is what the engine looks like for a plug change. You can see where the 4 bolts that hold the blower on are located. I think I really need to clean that radiator hose.

Users who are viewing this thread