Whipple Crusher Inlet Tube and Fender Air

cj428mach

Established Member
No I don't believe so. I think @MalcolmV8 tried building one out of aluminum and put it in the wheel well but went away from it for some reason but I don't recall why.

I run a crusher setup with a Jlt ram air filter cover over the filter. It improves looks and does help shield the filter from hot air.

GodStang

Established Member
Does anyone make a kit for the crusher (or did they) that put the tube closer to the ground in the fender? Would be nice not to always be taking in engine bay temperatures and making my system work overtime.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Most likely not as depending on what boost you are running, all the bends of a CAI to get air weakens the air flow. Plus you have the intercooler pump and A/C parts down there that also blocks air flow.
Then some of the designs will cause turbulence that some turners can’t work out.

TL:DR - If you are running decent boost go RAI with a heat shield.

94slowbra1

Established Member
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the jlt plastic cover will help on the crusher intake set ups? I get that it will shield it from the hot engine bay air but figured it would restrict the amount of air to the filter. I have a spare shield but never thought about running it.

Blown38

Established Member
I know not a cobra, but I got lucky and found an aluminum tube with the correct bend to get the filter be hind the bumper for the marauder. Was able to smash the TB end to get the oval.
20221104_090648.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know not a cobra, but I got lucky and found an aluminum tube with the correct bend to get the filter be hind the bumper for the marauder. Was able to smash the TB end to get the oval.View attachment 1767760

That looks pretty clean.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the jlt plastic cover will help on the crusher intake set ups? I get that it will shield it from the hot engine bay air but figured it would restrict the amount of air to the filter. I have a spare shield but never thought about running it.
Plenty of us are over 700 and running the shield with no issues. Or at least no noticeable issues.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm sure it'll still be fine. It's not like the shield is touching the filter. There is a gap around it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Support what? Use of the heat shield? Intake temps when using a RAI?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If someone has it, it's not here. Try it with and without it. It's a 2 minute install. But I doubt you'll see any difference. Once the car is moving the air temp difference between the fenderwell and the engine bay is negligible. Someone did a test a long time ago. I'm sure the thread is long gone though. But it showed that dealing with a CAI in the fenderwell wasn't worth it.

I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill on your set up. I doubt your system is working overtime. Unless you didn't fix it with the BPV.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I did the test several years ago and reported my findings here. Can't find the post now but what I found was about a 3° difference between the jlt shield and no shield. The test was performed after cruising for a while and getting good and heat soaked and watching my iats while sitting still and cruising. This was iat2. Stock intercooler. Is that worth it? Maybe. If nothing else though it covers up the gaping hole on the side of the inner fender.

Users who are viewing this thread