Whipple track times from today

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hey Folks,

Finally made it to the track this afternoon and made a bunch of runs. What held me up was a bad injector which resulted in a destroyed spark plug. This took some time to diagnose and verify that the engine wasn't hurt.

Here are the runs. All runs were granny shifting (full lift of accel):

1. [email protected] w/1.704 60'
2. [email protected] w/1.764 60'
3. [email protected] w/1.685 60'
4. [email protected] w/1.686 60'
5. [email protected] w/1.829 60' (bad launch, missed 3rd, quit)
6. [email protected] w/1.626 60'
7. [email protected] w/1.673 60' (clutch slipped at top of 4th)

With all of the new safety gear (blowproof bell, roll cage, etc.) the car weighed in today at 3966lbs with me in it. Can you say FATASS!

Also, no nitrous was used.

Videos to follow!!! :rockon:

Best,

MJ

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
MJ why such a conservative 17 on the timing??? Pretty good et's and mph for babying the car. How are you launcing that pig to achive those 60's and also are you still running the DSS bars and stock otherwise IRS?? What Clutch>>?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
MJ why such a conservative 17 on the timing??? Pretty good et's and mph for babying the car. How are you launcing that pig to achive those 60's and also are you still running the DSS bars and stock otherwise IRS?? What Clutch>>?

The 17deg timing comes from Jerry W. of SCT. I highly trust his recommendation.

I wasn't babying the car but I don't powershift. I was leaving pretty hard. Slipping the clutch out very fast from 4500rpm. I'm running ET streets at 15psi.

I'm running the DSS Level5 halfshafts, 3.73 gears, and my cover girdle. The clutch is a 10.5" spec stage3.

MJ

florida03

Banned
Originally posted by mjchip
Hey Folks,

Finally made it to the track this afternoon and made a bunch of runs. What held me up was a bad injector which resulted in a destroyed spark plug. This took some time to diagnose and verify that the engine wasn't hurt.

4. [email protected] w/1.686 60'

MJ
:beer:

trey193

Established Member
Thats odd how Jerry and Chris Johnson both being involved with the same company (SCT) could be so opposite on the timing issue, granted every car is different but I know of one 03 cobra flying on here that has a ton of timing in it(26) and also with the Lightnings Chris J. never was affraid to put timing in tunes or so I have heard! Once again good job first time out with the new combo, be glad U didnt hurt it with that faulty injector!

Buster

Established Member
Thats odd how Jerry and Chris Johnson both being involved with the same company (SCT) could be so opposite on the timing issue, granted every car is different but I know of one 03 cobra flying on here that has a ton of timing in it(26) and also with the Lightnings Chris J. never was affraid to put timing in tunes or so I have heard! Once again good job first time out with the new combo, be glad U didnt hurt it with that faulty injector!

Depends on the fuel used, if MJ is running pump gas the 17 degrees and slightly higher boost makes good sense. This may be where the tuners coming from.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Mark,

I had a great time at the track. I'll capture the vids when I get home later.

What I want to know is how the hell did f8tlbite run a 10.9 with an eaton with 100+rwhp less than you? Your launch was great, your shifting could use some imporvement but how much? 3 tenths? Hmmmm

I sent you an email.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Nice Times MJ., 10s are in your very near future :beer:

How come a 10.5 SPEC?

Dave

Last edited:

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I just missed you Mark, I saw you in the lanes as I was leaving. I wanted to see that thing run, oh well next time. NED kicked @ss today not busy at all.
edit: My car tipped the scales at 3933 with me in it, but in my cars defence I am by no means small.

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
MJ

are you expecting a 10 sec slip soon? what size pulley is getting you 18psi?

Hell yes I am but only if my driving improves a lot. I'm running a 3.25" upper and a Metco "not-quite 4lb lower".

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
Good Times...nice to see the spec is working for you

Thanks. The clutch may have slipped at the top of 4th on the last run. It may not have either. The feeling of the car was that it nosed over at about 5500rpm in 4th gear. The rest of the run was mint.

The jury is still out on the SPEC clutch.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member

Trey, I spoke with Jerry on the phone this morning and he explained to me a couple of things. In the conversation he mentioned that at high RPM, the Eaton cars can tolerate A LOT more timing than the KB or Whipple cars. He also said that, contrary to what's normal for other engines, the 4V modular actually likes less timing at higher RPMs. The normal rule is: "Load up, timing down;RPM up, timing up". This is an unusual deviation.

He also said to stick with 17-18 deg of timing on 93 octane with the Whipple at 18psi and I TRUST his opinion.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread