Established Member
Extinguisher mount:

extinguisher001.jpg

MJ

EngCon

Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Damn, I need a weekend at the Jay Knott school of driving! LOL

You're car is full weight too right? About 3800lbs?

MJ

Yes Mark it is about 3800lbs - just depends on how many gallons of gas are the car. With a quarter of a tank I am right at 3800 +/- about 5 lbs (depends on if I have taken a crap or not - LOL).

Jay

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by EngCon
Yes Mark it is about 3800lbs - just depends on how many gallons of gas are the car. With a quarter of a tank I am right at 3800 +/- about 5 lbs (depends on if I have taken a crap or not - LOL).

Jay

Damn, those are some heavy craps! :)

MJ

Tim03cobra

Established Member
I wasn't trying to be negative in my other post.:??:. I just went to the track with 32 more rwhp than my 11.26 run and ran 2 tenths slower and lost 2 mph on my best pass. That was with the Apten installed. My 60 foots were about the same too. Good luck with your setup.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
i cant believe people are actually arguing about this...

im surprised no one said anything about my 12.52@117 and the car weighing 3398#s...:lol:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Damn, I need a weekend at the Jay Knott school of driving! LOL

You're car is full weight too right? About 3800lbs?

MJ

Mark, have you tried powershifting the car yet? I think there are 3 critical ingredients to powershifting these beasts. I'm not trying to insult you I just want to share my perspective because I want to see your Whipple hanging right w/ the KBs. If it helps any I used to try and powershift the T5 in my 89LX and it was a 50/50 affair. The T56 is like butter.

Anyway: you need a BRIGHT shiftlight so you don't have to stare at ANYTHING but the track ( I use the Raptor). You need a manual clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster (I use UPR w/ the stock clutch cable), and you MAY need a shifter (I use the Pro-5.0 w/ stock handle). You save about $10 when you buy the pro-5.0 w/o the handle. They send you steel bushings to adapt the stock steel 'S' shaped handle to the Pro-5.0 and it works great. The stock handle keeps the shifter closer to your arm where in my opinion you have more leverage and feel for it.

Two tuning tips: have your seatback nearly bolt upright: a laid back driving position is not good for powershifting. Adjust the clutch so it disengages very soon after pushing on the pedal. This ensures that during the heat of battle when you may not kick it all the way to the floor that the clutch is still as far away from the flywheel as possible which is required in order to execute the shift w/o grinding.

To start I practiced on the street and on street tires so as to not abuse the drivetrain (spin was better than hook, at your powerlevel make sure the road is E M P T Y). Anyway, the two critical aspects of powershifting that I focus on are preload and right foot. I preload the shifter by pulling or pushing on the shifter toward the next gear. When pushing I use only w/ the palm of the hand, no need to wrap your fingers around the shift knob. Preload won't hurt anything since your accelerating in the current gear so hard that it is impossible to push it out of gear. The second aspect was nerve and in order to get the nerve to powershift and not subconsciously speed-shift, I HAVE to envision my right foot BURIED and literally matting the carpet beneath the throttle and never letting up after the launch. I focus on that and continue to focus on it both before and as soon as the shift light turns on. When the light turns on, the shifter is already preloaded, I think of carpet and kick the clutch to the floor and push like a SOB on the shifter lightning fast and release the clutch. Brings a smile to my face every time. The 2-3 shift w/ the Pro-5.0 is a straight push. Forget the gate: up, over up.. w/ the Pro-5.0 just focus on pushing it diagonally up and right in a straight line.

Doing it this way I hit the gears 97% of the time. The one time in the last 4 months I missed a gear was a 2-3 shift after a particularly brutal launch when the clutch slipped like CRAZY. I think it heated up too much and grew and didn't fully disengage on the 2-3 shift.. dunno for sure but 1 missed shift in 40 or so runs is a darn good average in my book and you now know everything I use to get there. HTH brother, good luck and keep having fun!!

trey193

Established Member
IMHO Jays car at WFC is the car I want to see run more than any other, IRS, 6speed (smashing gears) and going mid 10's no spray! Thats impressive as hell!!!! MJ I also agree with Jerry 100% on powershifting , if your goal is to wring every bit out of your combo granny shifting isnt gonna cut it, looks like you have the balls to launch an IRS car(most poeople dont) now you need to focus on your shifting of the car.

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll work on my driving and try to better represent those folks running aftermarket blowers.

Best,

MJ

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Mark, It was good to see you at NED, last weekend.
Your Cobra looks great and its performance is awesome.
You continually are a help to the Cobra community.
Thanks again for the IRS girdle.

Users who are viewing this thread