whippled and failed cali smog test...

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Go hug a tree or save a whale or something.

Wrong part of the state. That would be southern Ca or Berkley! What can I say, we live in the "granola state". Filled with fruits nuts and flakes.....:banana:
In all seriousness, If they don't have emmisions testing anymore, what do they have instead / why did they get rid of it? Personally, I think the "visual" test is a load of bull sh*t. If it burns clean enough then let it pass.

20psirabbit

Established Member
Personally, I think the "visual" test is a load of bull sh*t. If it burns clean enough then let it pass.

+1, if it burns clean enough to pass the tests, it shouldn't matter what it is or what's done to it. cali smog nazis FTMFL

on a side note, i didn't know whipple kits for our cars are CARB legal, that's good to know, makes me feel a little bit better about getting one.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
now that ive been discussing this with my friend, i am now recalling that i did put my stock H pipes back on my cobra and truck when going in for smog. and my contour has headers but it also has free flow cats :read:

my buddy seems to think your tune may have shut the EGR down which would possibly explain for the high levels of NO at low speed. it could be other things too but its typical of tuners to shut that down.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
now that ive been discussing this with my friend, i am now recalling that i did put my stock H pipes back on my cobra and truck when going in for smog. and my contour has headers but it also has free flow cats :read:

my buddy seems to think your tune may have shut the EGR down which would possibly explain for the high levels of NO at low speed. it could be other things too but its typical of tuners to shut that down.

i didnt want to call you out in someone elses thread, but yeah, i dont see a non-catted cobra passing the sniffer at all possible.

Remember, if you are running rich, it will fail by having to much HydroCarbons. If you think that you can fix this by leaning it out shitloads, your HC will drop significantly but the lean condition will cause NOx emissions to rise, causing you to fail that instead.

just for the record, are KB's carb legal as well???

I dont believe so.

Thanks for the informative post, it big time convinces me. Do you remember how bad your NOx's were w/ the aftermarket cats?

I dont recall the numbers tested back then cause i didnt need a printout to tell me what the issue was, but max NOx at 15mph is 424 and iirc it was in the 600 range, and max allowed at 25mph is 711 and i was in the 850 range. My HC's also were close to failing.

Heres yesterdays results with stock midpipe with mods listed below (save for stock airbox)

15mph Test:
rpm = 1301
Co2 measured = 14.7
o2 Measured = 0.1%

HC (ppm)
Max = 52
Ave = 4
Meas = 15

CO (%)
Max = 0.49
Ave = 0.01
Meas = 0.05

NO (ppm)
Max = 424
Ave = 16
Meas = 16

25mph Test:
rpm = 2154
Co2 measured = 14.9
o2 Measured = 0.0%

HC (ppm)
Max = 36
Ave = 4
Meas = 6

CO (%)
Max = 0.46
Ave = 0.01
Meas = 0.00

NO (ppm)
Max = 711
Ave = 18
Meas = 17

You can see how the 25mph test the cats get hotter, thus they scrub more Hydrocarbons and CO out than the 15mph test, however due to the speed of the engine NO increases, without the proper catalytic setup the NO cannot be properly taken out of the equation and would otherwise overrun whatever catalytic setup is there.

doubleblack

Established Member
dang thomas, that's crazy clean w/ your stock H...I put mine on today...

looks like you failed both mph tests largely w/ your modded pipe...I was able to barely get under 711 w/ my bassani pipe...

thanks for the info and good luck on selling!!!

FYI, the 2.2 and 2.6 KB's are carb legal too, but the way KB writes the description of supporting mods suck...whipples letter includes a good deal of supporting mods..

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If it burns clean enough then let it pass.
Agreed... and there's only one reason why... because forcing manufacturers into the CARB approval process makes a lot of money for the state. It's a shame when environmental concerns are twisted by the bureacracy to serve other purposes :whine:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i dont think i would care either way though, i dont pick my mods based on what CA says is legal. Ive ran a mac o/r X for the past few months. Id pick a 3.4L Whipple or a KB Mammoth, whichever one became available first in the classified section, hell id go turbo before either of those, have fun smogging that though.

Most smog techs wont know the difference between Whipple, KB or the stock Eaton. All that comes up is that its a supercharged cobra, unless they are in the know, they have no idea what supercharger is actually supposed to be there. I had a Evo16g on my Eclipse when i smogged it, totally different setup than the stock T25 turbo and they had no idea, i couldve had a GT35r on for all they cared. Plus the only place thats gonna actually check the CARB legality of such mods is the State Referee, or a bigger smog place. I take mine to obscure hole in the wall shops usually, the ones who really only care if the stock airbox is in, the vacuum diagram matches whats on the car, everything else that should be there is there, theres cats and thats that.

dang thomas, that's crazy clean w/ your stock H...I put mine on today...

im gonna scan the results and ask all my greenpeace environmentalist yuppie coworkers to try to beat those numbers in their econoboxes. and if they equal or better, throw the "oh yeah? try doing that with 450whp!" in their face.

Last edited:

doubleblack

Established Member
im gonna scan the results and ask all my greenpeace environmentalist yuppie coworkers to try to beat those numbers in their econoboxes. and if they equal or better, throw the "oh yeah? try doing that with 450whp!" in their face.

LOL, i know what you mean...my civic always just barely passed...

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Did he let the car heat up before he did the run.... if the car was cold or not to temperature you will get much worse results.

Users who are viewing this thread