Whiteline KDT928 MT82 Transmission Bushing Insert Tested. Reviews/Tips & Tricks

NickSezz

Established Member
UPDATE:
Just want to bump this thread to let you guys know that stocks have been replenished as of 2/25/14 and should be available from us as well as other vendors as needed.

We will offer these in stock form as well as modified versions.

We can chop off the entire middle section to eliminate any Possible NVH increase.

We can also trim the tip off the middle section as well as cut the 1.5" hole in the middle to reduce as much NVH as Possible while maintaining most of the center piece.

To order a modified bushing give us a call or email me at [email protected]

2011-2014 Mustang Transmission Bushing Insert - JDM Engineering

See below for details.

Last week JDM installed and tested the new Whiteline MT82 Transmission Bushing Insert on a 2012 Mustang GT with your typical bolt on parts and tune.

This particular car had consistent issues with the 2-3 up-shift. Third gear was difficult to engage quickly when attempting to shift over 7k RPMs and precious time was wasted on the track.

An after market shifter bracket was added first to try and solve this issue with no avail. Next we tried a braided steal clutch line with some new fluid, but the 2-3 shift was still difficult with the stock clutch.

Finally, we installed the Whiteline KDT928 2011-2014 MUSTANG TRANSMISSION BUSHING INSERT...

I am sure you know this is what the bushing looks like directly from Whiteline by now:

whiteline_positive_shift_kit_2011_2014_mustang.jpg

With the bushing installed shifting was greatly improved. I was able to hit all gears at any RPM without a problem on this same car (my car). The car also seemed to feel more stable during high speed lane changes and also felt "faster." These feeling may have be contributed from the added NVH since you feel more connected to the car as a result...

Now the part that everyone seems to be concerned with. There is added added NVH, at least in my case...Note: Reports from other installs will vary. Some have had the same experience as I did, some report little to no added NVH. Results will vary depending on the type of drive shaft utilized, pinion angle and if any NVH was preexisting.

The vibrations did not come from where you would think either. Instead of being felt in the shifter or column area, it was felt through the entire floor pan, seats and even into the steering wheel when accelerating. This did not make the insert appealing for my mildly modified daily driver.

Reasons for this:

The center section of the insert causes the vibrations from the factory transmission mount to be transferred into the mounting plate for the transmission cross member. This is noticed particularly during acceleration when the engine and transmission are being twisted by the torque of the motor. The triangle section of the factory bushing is pressed into the insert transmitting the vibrations and noise into the mounting plate and is then picked up by the transmission crossmember. Since the crossmember is bolted directly to the floor pan, that is where the vibrations end up...

With the help of some fellow forum members and some of my own testing, two solutions were developed.

At my own home I began to uninstall the bushing since it was not ideal on my DD. You can see that this can be easily done with the front on ramps and a small bottle jack to support the transmission. Here is an attached picture for you do it in your driveway guys:

whiteline_trans_bushing_install.jpg

Support the transmission weight slightly before unbolting the the 4 crossmember bolts and two nuts. Be sure to use the marks left by the corssmember as a guide when re-installing to ensure everything lines up correctly)

After poking around the factory bushing I realized what was leading to the added NVH and make a quick modification:

modified_whiteline_bushing.jpg

That's right. I hacked off the entire middle section of the insert. I figured the to upper cavities were the most important anyway and did not lead to any of the NVH. After I re-installed the modified bushing I went for a drive. Virtually ALL of the NVH was gone and I was still able to bang gears just as well as before the modification. I was happily surprised myself...

After some thought, I came up with another idea that would possibly help anyone with NVH issues and still be just as effective as an unmodified insert.
Another forum member took my lead and created this version:

modified_whiteline_bushing_circle_2.jpg

A hole saw was used to remove a circular section of the center potion of the bushing. His reports are that this modification drastically reduced the NVH but some was still present. Function of the insert remained the same and he was over all happy with the change.

There was a lot more time spent on testing this small of a part than really necessary, but because the part works as Whiteline advertised, I just thought this research would be very beneficial to those who have one on the way and are patiently waiting. This new part just needed some massaging to be a perfect fit for all vehicles...

For those of you that did not jump on this yet, JDM will modify the insert for you. Level 1 will be with a circular hole cut in the center and Level 2 will be with the entire center section removed. Both will cost $49.99 shipped due to the extra process. The issue here is that they are still on national Back order and by no means will ship right away as of (9/9/13).

I would like to thank those who helped me with testing for the good of the community and Whiteline for making this possible :banana:

Last edited:

BPatterson

Established Member
Just came back in from installing mine, by myself, with no tranny support. Ugh. Lol It wasn't fun, but I was able to bench press the tranny back up with one hand, while getting each bolt started with the other. Needless to say, I got my upper body workout in today. Ha! Haven't driven it yet though.

Ratchet

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the review. When my 2 get here later this week I'll be doing this little mod... and my buddy will probably get the other one. lol :beer:

NickSezz

Established Member
Just came back in from installing mine, by myself, with no tranny support. Ugh. Lol It wasn't fun, but I was able to bench press the tranny back up with one hand, while getting each bolt started with the other. Needless to say, I got my upper body workout in today. Ha! Haven't driven it yet though.

Props to you! Yeah that bottle jack I had came in clutch.

NickSezz

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the review. When my 2 get here later this week I'll be doing this little mod... and my buddy will probably get the other one. lol :beer:

If you don't mind doing the install more than once I would try it as is, then mod if nessasary. Just be safe! :beer:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Interseting...I wonder what WHiteline has to say about this little modification to thier bushings? Curious to see if they themselves had done any testing like this.

Sub'd for further reports!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Once I get my bushing in, I'm curious to see if this NVH will occur with me on my DD.

However, the bushing is actually supposed to install from the front of the trans mount, not like it's shown in you edited Vorshlag picture above. I do not know if this would have fixed anything though.

Plus inserting it from the front will prevent any problems with someone running a DS loop.

NickSezz

Established Member
Interseting...I wonder what WHiteline has to say about this little modification to thier bushings? Curious to see if they themselves had done any testing like this.

Sub'd for further reports!

I spoke to them about this. They have tried other variation but not like what I posted above. I do not believe they have plans to change their design but you never know. If my research leads to an improved future product then hey, thats what this is all about :coolman:

If someone wants to purchase it this way, I will be glad to help out until then.

Ratchet

Established Member
If you don't mind doing the install more than once I would try it as is, then mod if nessasary. Just be safe! :beer:
I'm a metal worker with lots of tools at my disposal... and I have a couple ideas how to go about this. So we'll see how it works out. I may not be driving the car much for the next long while.. (winter in canada, salty ass roads).:beer:

NickSezz

Established Member
Once I get my bushing in, I'm curious to see if this NVH will occur with me on my DD.

However, the bushing is actually supposed to install from the front of the trans mount, not like it's shown in you edited Vorshlag picture above. I do not know if this would have fixed anything though.

Plus inserting it from the front will prevent any problems with someone running a DS loop.

Correct. We did all of our testing with it installed how Whiteline shows in there instructions. I do not believe it will make much of a difference though.

Vorshlag may have just done that for picture purposes.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Correct. We did all of our testing with it installed how Whiteline shows in there instructions. I do not believe it will make much of a difference though.

Vorshlag may have just done that for picture purposes.
Cool. Didn't know you installed it per Whiteline instructions. Once I get mine delivered (if that ever happens) I will try and report on this issue as well.

Did you use a dremel to cut the center bushing? Or just a normal saw?

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Installed mine today. As stated I had a bad vibration. Not in the shifter but in the floor and seats under acceleration. I call WL and the guy I spoke to said he had never herd of a vibration issue. Just some added NVH. My issue wasn't NVH but strictly vibration. To the point were a bad cv may be the case? Pulled the WL bushing back out and the vibration went away.
Should I chop the bottom section off? Or take the car to ford and complain about the vibration and see what happens? Lol my pinion ange is off a bit from lowering but shouldn't be that big of an issue w/ a 2 pcs ds? But I have already blown 1 pinion seal

NickSezz

Established Member
Installed mine today. As stated I had a bad vibration. Not in the shifter but in the floor and seats under acceleration. I call WL and the guy I spoke to said he had never herd of a vibration issue. Just some added NVH. My issue wasn't NVH but strictly vibration. To the point were a bad cv may be the case? Pulled the WL bushing back out and the vibration went away.
Should I chop the bottom section off? Or take the car to ford and complain about the vibration and see what happens? Lol my pinion ange is off a bit from lowering but shouldn't be that big of an issue w/ a 2 pcs ds? But I have already blown 1 pinion seal

I am running the stock D/S with stock UCA and lowered 1.25 in the rear via the Roush Extreme Springs. Either way I am not planning on purchasing a drive shaft or an adjustable upper to stop vibrations form a $35 part..

Unless you think you can solve the vibration another way, I would remove the entire center section in your case.

SCalla1384

Established Member

I don't get it. So you had no vibration before. You put the insert in there's a vibration. You take it out and there's no vibration. But your thinking about taking it into ford for vibration issue??

The bushing is causing it obviously. If its that bad, I would cut the bottom section out.

BPatterson

Established Member
Props to you! Yeah that bottle jack I had came in clutch.

Hahaha I'm feeling it now though. Just got back in from driving it. Felt exactly what you described. So far, I think I can live with it. Car is loud anyway. I didn't buy a Cadillac, so I never expected it to be whisper quiet and smooth, especially after I started modding it. Lol

kingnut

Established Member
i guess i wont be buying this insert. not worth having a ton of vibration. i will check back on JDM's mod for this bushing if some people pick it up

Users who are viewing this thread