Who can answer this Question???

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
So, I am out side checking my inner cooler pump and tank for the winter. Cause I changed the fluid for the winter months, from water to anti freeze.
I had the water in the inner cooler and the reservoir tank for race season.
Now that its cold out and I am not racing this winter, I just wanted to know something.

At what temperature does the inner cooler pump come on? Or is suppose to come on at a set time after the truck is started and running? Cause I was getting worried that my relay for my inner cooler pump was shot. I kept waiting for it to come on after my truck was started and running. I know my pump works when I take the relay out and jump it with a wire, like I do when I am at the track. It was starting to make me worry about my electrical system on my truck. I even checked all my fuses, just to see if it was fuse related.
After I left the truck running and watched the temperature gauge rise to operating temp. The Inner cooler pump started to run.

Now, is this right? That the temperature on the engine must be at normal operation temp for the Inner cooler pump to start to work when its so damn cold out side...Or do I have a problem some where that I need to address?

I do have a larger heat exchanger and a larger reservoir tank on my L. Does this have any effect on the time it would take it to come on when its cold out side?

Thoughts any one? Who can answer this one?

Jason...

Last edited:

wd13

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge (doesn't count for much) it should run as soon as the truck is started. Then again, I could be very wrong on this.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
only comes on when the engine is started. iv tried all kinda stuff to get it to come on w/o the engine running w/o putting a switch on it.... i now have a switch to turn it on when im at the track.

Tazman1

Established Member
I only noticed that mine came on after I had my truck running for a while...Like when It gets up to operating temperature.. Now keep in mind its like 40 degrees here where I live so people who live where its warmer may never see this situation occur.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
iat2 temp operated but I forgot the trigger temp the pcm goes by

for some reason Im wanting to say 70 degree

Tazman1

Established Member
I thought it would have something to do with iats, but not sure.. It being pretty cold doesn't help matters. It takes along time for things to warm up around here when its about 20 degrees around here at night in the month of December...

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
I think it's 70 too.....thats what I started to say in my other post. Sometimes I can drive my truck around in the winter and it never comes on because the temps never get high enough

2000L

70 is close enough to say, its in the 60's somewhere. It can be changed in your tune to come on sooner if you like. If your pullied up at all with the eaton a couple of wot blast will get it coming on!

ecoastkid

Established Member
It comes on at any temp.

Its actually just a time delay of like 15 or 20 seconds.

Try it out. Start your truck and run around...You will see it come on.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
It comes on at any temp.

Its actually just a time delay of like 15 or 20 seconds.

Try it out. Start your truck and run around...You will see it come on.

As already stated, the IC pump comes on based on IAT2 temp. I was thinking it was 65*, but it may be 70* as Stew mentioned. Either way, it is not a timed relay. In the summer months mine comes on within a few seconds of starting the truck but in the winter months it may take several minutes.

SADF

Established Member
BGstew6 is right on. He helped me out when I was diagnosing mine. I replaced my intercooler pump with the Ford Racing one found on Ebay for $85 plus shipping. Wasnt bad and I replaced the reservoir at the same time with this trick aluminum one that Quick Brick polished for me. I was anticipating the fluid to start moving (watching with the cap pulled off since my new reservoir isnt see through, lol) like crazy just praying that this finally fixed it. When the fluid started moving the truck had been running for about four minutes. Took it for a drive and my lost power was definately back.... I snapped one of the link bars on the 6 link setup that goes from the rearend to where the leaf hangers used to be, lol. Fix one thing and break another, but hey, at least the power was finally restored.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
The intercooler pump is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM) to maintain a desirable intake air temperature by a second intake air temperature (IAT2) sensor in the lower intake manifold.

It can be changed in the tune as to what Temp the I/C pump kicks in at, but typically it is 65*.

So if the temp is below that, your I/C pump will not start working....... Unless its changed in the tune, or you have done the Intercooler Pump Bypass Switch Mod

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
as said before it can be changed in the tune...and yours might have been

LSUstang05

Established Member
+1 to that, FFS. Cold fluids + high heat + high stress is a recipe for disaster. Even if it's 100˚ outside. Wait till your truck warms up first.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
He lies. its perfectly fine. Shoot I even do a WOT blast after I drain all the oil out of my truck with the oil drain plug still out, just to make sure all the excess old oil is out of the motor. Then pull back in to the garage and add in the new oil. Who needs fluids to cool or lubricate, pffffft...

God I hope nobody thinks I'm serious. roflmao

Users who are viewing this thread