Who else got recalled?

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Just wondering, 5 guys i deployed with that ETS'd within the last 2 years just got called back off IRR to report to Benning for an OIF deployment. Anyone else get the Fedex orders? im hoping i dont get recalled.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Wow damn. Did they all ETS with 1 deployment, or did they do more? Did they serve any time SL?

Vexus

Hey,
Just signed up here to say that I got orders as well.

I've been out almost 3 years, and I'm still wrapping my mind around this. I'll be heading to Fort Benning, GA for mobilization and then sent to Operation Iraqi Freedom. I'm not sure if that actually means the unit I am going to be sent to is going to Iraq, or what, but what I do know is this is very sudden and... exciting!

I am in the IRR and being mobilized, and instead of dreading it or running away, I'm going to unpack my boots, run every day, and get back into the way of things since I'm gone for a year. I'm 11B, an Infantryman, so of course I'm going to do my duty. I feel bad for those who don't show up, I've read some articles, and it seems the only thing that has happened to them is an other-than-honorable-discharge, but that's not even an option for me. I love my country regardless of who's running it. I don't cry over our actions being right or wrong, and my personal views don't mix in with the fact that my country is calling on me to do a job. I can only tackle that the same way I do everything else; I will perform to the best of my ability.

I have a wife, great job, and a good future going... why excited!? I don't know. PTSD I guess? Even with how things are going for me as a civilian, the Army has been the least stressful environment for me. They cover everything so you can do your job.

Well I hope any other IRR guys read this and hope it helps some. I'd like to think that those called for duty show up with me. Take care guys.

03GTGreen

Established Member
Got recalled in Feb, been here in Iraq since May and have less than 30 days left in country till im done for GOOD. Yea it sucks but the way I saw it when it happend was go over there and make some dough for a downpayment on a house.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I was recalled April '03 after being out for 2 years and sent to Djibouti.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I got recalled twice actually. Once for Iraq and once for Afghan. I was out 366 days exactly when I got the first set of orders, and they came Fedex to my parents house.

ModularFan

Established Member
That's one of things I don't like about the Military, just because you served 4 years etc, doesn't automatically make you free from being done, You then have to worry about them calling you back in, like some of you guys are saying.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
That's one of things I don't like about the Military, just because you served 4 years etc, doesn't automatically make you free from being done, You then have to worry about them calling you back in, like some of you guys are saying.

If you don't like it then don't sign the contract. For us AF guys we sign a contract (mine was 6 years) and we have to serve a total of 8 years. So that is 6 years active and 2 inactive reserve aka can be called back to duty. If you don't understand this when you join you did yourself a great disservice.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
If you don't like it then don't sign the contract. For us AF guys we sign a contract (mine was 6 years) and we have to serve a total of 8 years. So that is 6 years active and 2 inactive reserve aka can be called back to duty. If you don't understand this when you join you did yourself a great disservice.

I disagree. Why are the people that already volunteered to serve, possibly did multiple tours, and are just trying to move on, being summoned back while others that never even thought about serving don't even have to worry about it?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I disagree. Why are the people that already volunteered to serve, possibly did multiple tours, and are just trying to move on, being summoned back while others that never even thought about serving don't even have to worry about it?

:dw:wat? Possibly because we have a completely volunteer force.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
To the OP I was deployed with a guy that got called back..... At least he made SSG while he was recalled:shrug:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Because we are in two wars (don't bitch about it what is done is done) and an all volunteer force.

Frankly I think EVERY person between the ages of 19 and 30 should be required to serve at least one 3 year tour in the military. no exceptions for anything other than serious mental or physical disability. if they don't want to go into the military they have to do 4 years of some other gov't service.

Common

Established Member
Because we are in two wars (don't bitch about it what is done is done) and an all volunteer force.

Frankly I think EVERY person between the ages of 19 and 30 should be required to serve at least one 3 year tour in the military. no exceptions for anything other than serious mental or physical disability. if they don't want to go into the military they have to do 4 years of some other gov't service.

3 years is a stretch, even by Communist standards. One year mandatory if you dont attend college would be perfect. Given that you are normal, not disabled and generaly can pass a basic test.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
3 years is a stretch, even by Communist standards. One year mandatory if you dont attend college would be perfect. Given that you are normal, not disabled and generaly can pass a basic test.

actually most countries that have this are 2-3 years.

Israel - 3 years for men 2 for women
Greece - 12 months men Woman are not obligated
Iran - 20 months men
South Korea - 21 months

yada yada yada

And the above are countries that don't have nearly the freedoms that we enjoy in this country. Frankly I think 1 year is not enough ... I could live with 2 years in an MOS that does not require a lot of technical training.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

wouldnt be a bad idea. it would probably cut down on crime and instill some pride in people

ellis4

Established Member
The problem with making it mandatory is, when you have a volunteer service, they will generally perform better.

Talk to units who have had to work with a reserve unit, and you'll know what I'm talking about. Gigantic cluster **** when they get into country compared to a "proper" active unit.

Users who are viewing this thread