Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Make sure you put a SSD in your build. That is probably the best performance VS dollar you can buy for a build. It makes a HUGE difference. Do a nice SSD with a basic 7200rpm 1-6tb drive for file storage, etc.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
So, I really know nothing about building computers or even buying one off the shelf. I've never owned a computer before. I always had one from school or used my ex's laptop. But winter is here and I thought it was about time to join the modern world. I just made some guesses and spent some money.

Can anyone tell me if this looks like it should work together? I am hoping it does, but I dont expect to have done everything correct haha.
And how does cooling work? Does this require some sort of system or do the built in fans do the job?

MONITOR - ASUS|LED 27" 5MS PB278Q
CASE - NZXT| CA-PH240-W1 R
MB - MSI|Z97-GD65 GAMING ATX R
VGA - MSI|N760-2GD5/OC GTX 760 R
MEM - 8Gx2|TEAM TXD316G2400HC10QDC01
BLU-RAY COMBO LG | UH12NS30 %
PSU - ROSEWILL|RBR1000-M 1000W RT
HD - 2T|ST 7K SATA3 ST32000641AS REC
CPU - INTEL|CORE I7 4790K 4.0G 8M R

P.S. This is mainly going to be used for some high level Photoshop and 3D CAD modeling.
For cooling, you can either go air or a self-contained water system. Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, SwiftTech, ect all make very good water cooling units for around $100, otherwise, you could use an air system such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $35. Nothing wrong with air. The Hyper 212 is a proven performer. Always throw the stock cooler away, especially if you are planning on overclocking that unlocked processor

A 1000W PSU for that build is beyond overkill. Nvidia recommends a minimum of 500w for a 760. I would find a 550 or 600w PSU but go with a solid brand. The PSU is IMO the most critical component. I'm not too too familiar with Rosewill. Never used their products because they seem to be mid-tier products IMO. Corsair, EVGA, Cooler Master, etc, would be the lines i'd walk on just for the inherit quality of the brand when it came to the PSU.

The money you saved on the PSU should go towards a 120gb SSD as a boot drive. System will boot in literally seconds. With the current sales over at Newegg, you can grab a 120gb for anywhere between $49-$75. Kingston or Samsung would be my preference.

RAM- Not familier with "Team". Link?

Lastely, the GPU. I'd dig through the couch and find $100 somewhere and grab a 970 instead. Yes, it's a $100 more, but the MASSIVE performance gap more than justifies that $100.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
What specs do i need to tell you guys to let me know if my PC can run GTA V are a better quality than my xbox 360 plays it? I'm really looking forward to GTV 5 on PC due to mods/hacks in single player mode. They were amazing for GTA SA. I dont do online stuff for GTA.

My tower has a radeon hd 6700 series, under processor is has i7-2600 cpu @ 3.4 ghz(listed 8 times. i think thats the 8gb of ram). Looking for at least 1080 resolution.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
What specs do i need to tell you guys to let me know if my PC can run GTA V are a better quality than my xbox 360 plays it? I'm really looking forward to GTV 5 on PC due to mods/hacks in single player mode. They were amazing for GTA SA. I dont do online stuff for GTA.

My tower has a radeon hd 6700 series, under processor is has i7-2600 cpu @ 3.4 ghz(listed 8 times. i think thats the 8gb of ram). Looking for at least 1080 resolution.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1308&game=Grand Theft Auto V

/\/\ Minimum and recommended requirements.

You should be able to run it on low-mid settings, but ur gpu is lingering around the "minimal" side.

AMD cards have droped considerably this year if u wanted to stay in that family. R9 280X's aren't looking too bad right now

Last edited:

Deric

Established Member
For cooling, you can either go air or a self-contained water system. Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, SwiftTech, ect all make very good water cooling units for around $100, otherwise, you could use an air system such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $35. Nothing wrong with air. The Hyper 212 is a proven performer. Always throw the stock cooler away, especially if you are planning on overclocking that unlocked processor

A 1000W PSU for that build is beyond overkill. Nvidia recommends a minimum of 500w for a 760. I would find a 550 or 600w PSU but go with a solid brand. The PSU is IMO the most critical component. I'm not too too familiar with Rosewill. Never used their products because they seem to be mid-tier products IMO. Corsair, EVGA, Cooler Master, etc, would be the lines i'd walk on just for the inherit quality of the brand when it came to the PSU.

The money you saved on the PSU should go towards a 120gb SSD as a boot drive. System will boot in literally seconds. With the current sales over at Newegg, you can grab a 120gb for anywhere between $49-$75. Kingston or Samsung would be my preference.

RAM- Not familier with "Team". Link?

Lastely, the GPU. I'd dig through the couch and find $100 somewhere and grab a 970 instead. Yes, it's a $100 more, but the MASSIVE performance gap more than justifies that $100.

Thanks for the help. An overkill PSU is ok though, right? I'm not going to hurt anything, I assume. Also, I don't plan to overclock anything, at least for now. Is the stock cooling ok for that or do you suggest upgrading no matter what?
I assume boot drive means that's what I install the OS on? Is that the same for programs like Photoshop?

Link for the memory... I just assumed it was all the same.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Thanks for the help. An overkill PSU is ok though, right? I'm not going to hurt anything, I assume. Also, I don't plan to overclock anything, at least for now. Is the stock cooling ok for that or do you suggest upgrading no matter what?
I assume boot drive means that's what I install the OS on? Is that the same for programs like Photoshop?

Link for the memory... I just assumed it was all the same.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
It won't hurt anything. It's just the question of why. It's like buying a 5 gallon tub of cheese balls from Sam's/Costco but knowing you're only going to ever eat a few handfuls.

The stock cooler is just fine, but more cooling is always better.

Can't seem to get through the link. vBulletin uses some embedded viglink.com portal on posted links. My firewall at work blocks it. Will look at it at home. RAM has basically 3 characteristics to look at: Frequency, Voltage, and Channel Latency. Frequency and latency is really only important to look at in an APU rig (makes very little difference on a discret GPU setup, regardless of what others may want you to believe), but it's always nice to look at the figures and see whether the price to performance adds up.

helloWorld

Established Member
Alright, I flashed my GTX 980 and am playing around with the voltages and I believe that I have found my GPU air cooling limit. This setup is stable for several hours of Battlefield 4 multiplayer. I am now sitting at 1556 MHz core and 1977 MHz memory.

Heaven
heaven.jpg

Valley
valley.jpg

3D Mark 11
3d11.png

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Make sure you put a SSD in your build. That is probably the best performance VS dollar you can buy for a build. It makes a HUGE difference. Do a nice SSD with a basic 7200rpm 1-6tb drive for file storage, etc.

I couldn't agree with this more!!!

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Just found something useful:

Apparently windows can and does "park" cpu cores. This video shows a very quick and simple application to unpark your cores. Core 0 and 1 were parked on mine. After this the occasional micro-studders in-game are gone.

[youtube_browser]QkfIFP0g2xY[/youtube_browser]

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Also, just started playing advanced warfare on PC. I must say, im not impressed. The game on maxed setting is really no technical achievement.

Last edited:

Stinky3377

Established Member
I'm stoked. This puppy was waiting at my front door when I arrived home from work...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

I didn't have much time to play around with it but driver loaded up fine and did a couple of tests. No coil whine so I'm happy. Can finally play newer games at max settings with all the eye candy at 1080p (upgraded from AMD HD5770).

Thanks for the GTX 970 recommendations. :coolman:

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
I'm stoked. This puppy was waiting at my front door when I arrived home from work...

I didn't have much time to play around with it but driver loaded up fine and did a couple of tests. No coil whine so I'm happy. Can finally play newer games at max settings with all the eye candy at 1080p (upgraded from AMD HD5770).

You'll love it

mr2cam

Established Member
Just found something useful:

Apparently windows can and does "park" cpu cores. This video shows a very quick and simple application to unpark your cores. Core 0 and 1 were parked on mine. After this the occasional micro-studders in-game are gone.

[youtube_browser]QkfIFP0g2xY[/youtube_browser]

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Also, just started playing advanced warfare on PC. I must say, im not impressed. The game on maxed setting is really no technical achievement.

Ya this fix has been out for a while now, I believe people were complaining about studdering in BF4 and that is when this tool came out, I know it is a night and day difference playing BF4 parked and unparked.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Hopefully not too late, apologize mods if it truly is an old bump

Just bought this case and I am in love with it! Its on sale on Newegg at the moment, almost half off with rebate ($89.99). Sign up with NewEgg premier for free fast shipping, ordered mine late Thursday and received it Saturday morning.

LOTS of air flow, front USB 3.0 (no need to run from rear), top HDD docking station, multi color fans, fan speed adjustment, and lots of other crap. Truly a good looking case and well worth it IMO. Now to add a 970 GTX to it, then itll be a true gaming PC once again.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16811133191&sa=U&ei=pJWYVPC4PIK3oQSU_4GYBg&ved=0CCcQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEvuxHUyKzbuPAkxgGiqRIBV1LnLg

91j2_I8_L9_C4_L_SL1500.jpg

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Hopefully not too late, apologize mods if it truly is an old bump

Just bought this case and I am in love with it! Its on sale on Newegg at the moment, almost half off with rebate ($89.99). Sign up with NewEgg premier for free fast shipping, ordered mine late Thursday and received it Saturday morning.

LOTS of air flow, front USB 3.0 (no need to run from rear), top HDD docking station, multi color fans, fan speed adjustment, and lots of other crap. Truly a good looking case and well worth it IMO. Now to add a 970 GTX to it, then itll be a true gaming PC once again.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16811133191&sa=U&ei=pJWYVPC4PIK3oQSU_4GYBg&ved=0CCcQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEvuxHUyKzbuPAkxgGiqRIBV1LnLg

91j2_I8_L9_C4_L_SL1500.jpg
Did the same with premiere. Canceled just 2 days early

Anybody get something for Xmas?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

I got a 970 also, in evga flavor. Card rocks, pretty quiet, runs coooool and im running everything on ultra in starcraft 2. My case is a lian li v354, for matx and probably mitx.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have built a couple gaming PCs for my son (no, really). Nothing insane - last one was a core i7 w\liquid cooling, ssd, gtx 580, mild overclock. Fun father\son project.

Users who are viewing this thread