Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Heard it's not fun to mount...

But essentially got it for free in a bundle
Haha, no, not at all. Thats just the cry baby loud minority that say that. If u've mounted a cooler with a backplate before, its just business as usual. The trick is to position the backplate with feet in the pegs, then use some painters tape or electrical tape to keep it there while u mount the front block.

Btw, u reply before I can even edit a post!

helloWorld

Established Member
I've always used Thermochill EC6 as my liquid. I have never had a problem with it in my loop that has been running for at least two years untouched.

I'm sure that my graphics score will go up if I update other components in my build. I am actually quite disappointed in the performance of my single gtx980. Guru3d got their same model 980 as I to do a 16362 in 3d11 using out of the box stock clocks matched with a 3960 (hyperthreaded hexcore) at 4.6 GHz.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I've always used Thermochill EC6 as my liquid. I have never had a problem with it in my loop that has been running for at least two years untouched.

I'm sure that my graphics score will go up if I update other components in my build. I am actually quite disappointed in the performance of my single gtx980. Guru3d got their same model 980 as I to do a 16362 in 3d11 using out of the box stock clocks matched with a 3960 (hyperthreaded hexcore) at 4.6 GHz.

Were the graphics scores similar?

Intervention302

Established Member

I was planning on running dome distilled water from the grocery store??

The 970 seemed the better buy no offense.

On paper it should perform 25% better, yet it simply doesn't

We should trade with cash on top lol

Haha, no, not at all. Thats just the cry baby loud minority that say that. If u've mounted a cooler with a backplate before, its just business as usual. The trick is to position the backplate with feet in the pegs, then use some painters tape or electrical tape to keep it there while u mount the front block.

Btw, u reply before I can even edit a post!
I'm having my buddy help me out. Seems easy enough

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I was planning on running dome distilled water from the grocery store??

Should use this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11441/ex-tub-705/IandH_Silver_KillCoils_-_Antimicrobial_999_Fine_Silver_Tubing_Reservoir_Strip.html?tl=g30c103s1676

Or this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17710/ex-liq-291/Mayhems_Biocide_Extreme_-_10mL.html?tl=g30c103s186

Otherwise that water will sour and grow.

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member

Don't use a kill coil, depending on what rads, blocks etc you end up with, if you get nickle blocks and have copper rads etc, it will cause issues with too many types of metal in your loop. Dead water works perfectly fine. If you want to add color, use food coloring, it won't gum up your rads and block when it starts to break down like the additives do.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
From my experience, any Intel or Samsung SSD will work great. Have other of other brands that will die in months.
I have never had an ssd die on me, and I've bee using them since 2010. The 2010 one was even a OCZ (the shittiest brand by some).

I have spoiled myself with ssd's. I put one in my moms macbook that I got her (256gb crucial m4). One in my bros rig (mushkin 240gb). Work laptop (250gb samsung 840). Gaming rig (256gb samsung 840 pro, 120gb patriot wildfire). PS3 (120gb ocz vertex 2). And recently bought a Samsung Msata 512gb + msata enclosure for the Xbox 1 for faster game loading, XB1 runs usb 3.0.

I love SSD, they are the best mods for any PC/Mac system desktop and laptop. 2nd best upgrade would be memory.

I'm still rocking a 2600k, GTX 660 btw. Looking to upgrade the 660 with a 780. I'm a "baller" (yea right) on a budget :D

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
I have never had an ssd die on me, and I've bee using them since 2010. The 2010 one was even a OCZ (the shittiest brand by some).

I have spoiled myself with ssd's. I put one in my moms macbook that I got her (256gb crucial m4). One in my bros rig (mushkin 240gb). Work laptop (250gb samsung 840). Gaming rig (256gb samsung 840 pro, 120gb patriot wildfire). PS3 (120gb ocz vertex 2). And recently bought a Samsung Msata 512gb + msata enclosure for the Xbox 1 for faster game loading, XB1 runs usb 3.0.

I love SSD, they are the best mods for any PC/Mac system desktop and laptop. 2nd best upgrade would be memory.

I'm still rocking a 2600k, GTX 660 btw. Looking to upgrade the 660 with a 780. I'm a "baller" (yea right) on a budget :D

I had some kind of a critical error with this SSD not long after I got it- a Crucial 256 GB. Somehow it recovered.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Computers being a pain in the ass. Somebody recommend me an SSD.

Kingston V3's are pretty cheap right now. Got a 120gig one in my ps3 for $60 off newegg. Perfect for a boot drive

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Im just going off from what I have and well word of mouth. :beer: Im waiting till they drop a bit more, want to get a 512 GB. At least im glad they are nowhere near to what they once where. I wouldnt get any SSD for the consoles but thats just me, they cant get the speeds like a PC since they have older controllers.
You could’ve run the MSata with an HDD and get similar results as the SSD for the X1 and saved yourself a couple of $$$ still jealous that the PS4 USB 3.0 is useless since you can’t do crap with it.

Makes two of us :lol1: Still have a 2500k OC to 4.4 Ghz with a 470 GTX, yes you read that right, 470 GTX :lol: At least im glad the CPU still wont bottleneck a lot of top GPU cards from today. Might upgrade to a 770 GTX, I mostly game in 1080P anyways since I love how the games look on my VT60 :rockon:

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Computers being a pain in the ass. Somebody recommend me an SSD.
I always run Intel

I just finished my custom loop last night. Well almost finished

fd7c63b18162ae1a5e381eb693d795cf.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Im just going off from what I have and well word of mouth. :beer: Im waiting till they drop a bit more, want to get a 512 GB. At least im glad they are nowhere near to what they once where. I wouldnt get any SSD for the consoles but thats just me, they cant get the speeds like a PC since they have older controllers.
You could’ve run the MSata with an HDD and get similar results as the SSD for the X1 and saved yourself a couple of $$$ still jealous that the PS4 USB 3.0 is useless since you can’t do crap with it.
The 120gb in my ps3 is a vertex 2, those are only sata II, since the value of a vertex has plummeted (OCZ), keeping it was the better choice, it was my first ssd bought back in 2010.
The msata with HDD although runs at usb 3.0 does not net the same results as an SSD. The connection may be fast (usb 3.0) but its whats inside that counts. I did a ton of research on this and I'm saving mere seconds everytime.
I'm looking to pull the trigger on Forza 5 now, hope they have them bundled with DLC.

Anyways, I think I will stick with Nvidia this time again since I've heard of the typical driver issues with AMD, wow no surprise there. I've read ubisoft has blamed AMD for some of their games performing poorly too.
For me it was R9 290, now I'm just looking between 780/TI or 970.

Intervention302

Established Member
Just finished my first custom loop with the help from my friend. Go easy on me :)

Pretty happy the way it all turned out. I just snapped some quick pics. I'll take some better quality pics when I have time to lug the PC into another/better room

XSPC Photon 170 kit essentially here

• Photon 170
  • AX360 Radiator
  • 3x 120mm Noctua 2000rpm Industrial
  • Raystorm Block
  • Primochill Hosing

Installation wasn't terrible hard. However, anytime you need to take a drill to your nice case, it can be stressful lol

I noticed the inside was a touch dusty after looking at the pics. I've also better hid the pump wiring as well

DSC_2808 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2802 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2798 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2795 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2792 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2791 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2790 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_2788 by Intervention302, on Flickr

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Just finished my first custom loop with the help from my friend. Go easy on me :)

Pretty happy the way it all turned out. I just snapped some quick pics. I'll take some better quality pics when I have time to lug the PC into another/better room

XSPC Photon 170 kit essentially here

• Photon 170
  • AX360 Radiator
  • 3x 120mm Noctua 2000rpm Industrial
  • Raystorm Block
  • Primochill Hosing

Installation wasn't terrible hard. However, anytime you need to take a drill to your nice case, it can be stressful lol

I noticed the inside was a touch dusty after looking at the pics. I've also better hid the pump wiring as well
Sweet! What kind of D5 is that?

Users who are viewing this thread