Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

helloWorld

Established Member
Sorry for not reading, is that score with one or two 970s?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I see two 970s listed in the screenshot.

mr2cam

Established Member
That's crazy...

I'm around 17,000 with my 4790k and 970s

Intel just has a really good chip at the moment. Just watch out...

Runs HOT

Ya 3dmark is incredibly cpu powered, I really can't complain considering I paid $100 for the cpu, and 275 a piece for the video cards..

helloWorld

Established Member
Here is what I have so far with a single GTX980 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition) matched with a 2600K @ 5.2 GHz and dual channel memory at 1600 MHz @ 9-9-9-24.

Out of the box stock (1366 MHz core, 1753 MHz memory) scores:

Heaven
Stock-Heaven.png

Valley
Stock-Valley.png

3dMark 11 (centered chosen for image scaling, keep in mind image scaling does affect scores)
Stock-3d11.png

Voltage stock, power limit 122%, 1467 MHz core, 1952 MHz memory scores:

Heaven
OC-Heaven.png

Valley
OC-Valley.png

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'm into it! I finished my x99 build 3 days after launch lol.

Asus x99 WS board
5960x with 980i water block
2 x titans @ 1.3V ( waiting for titan 2 2 to upgrade) with Razor water blocks
16 gigs 2800 LPX ram ( All I could get at the time, will upgrade to 32 once prices come down to sane levels)
Corsair AX1200 PS
Creative ZxR
3 x 480 xspc rads
1 x 360 xspc rad
Triple PWM DDC pump setup with EK top and custom heatsinks
Case Labs STH10 case
Custom sleeved cables

AGaMMk.jpg

9q8AQU.jpg

Aquacomputer pro res

Stinky3377

Established Member
Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Got me thinking with Paypal Credit on purchases over $250 there's no interest for 6 months. I can pickup a 970...just will have to intercept the package so my wife doesn't see it...HA!
Idk the exact percentage a 970 beats a 280/285 by, but its a sizeable chunk

Well worth the price premium

Just make sure you have a proper PSU and case size.

Although some 970s are probably smaller and use less watts

helloWorld

Established Member
Well, the way I see it is the 3d11 score is a combined score, so even if I had an amazing GPU, if the rest of the system is not up to par, then the overall score is obviously going to suffer.

I can not say for sure how much difference your CPU makes in the equation, but I do know that my 2600K is getting old and I guess the core architecture itself might not be enough, regardless of the fact that I am clocked pretty high (5.2 GHz.) It probably does not help that I am still on dual channel memory at a lower speed (1600 MHz.) I know that memory speed and channels do not affect much in practical use, but benchmarking programs have the possibility to benefit from the additional bandwidth.

In my experience, stretched gave me a couple of hundred higher points consistently than centered mode in 3d11.

Stinky3377

Established Member
Idk the exact percentage a 970 beats a 280/285 by, but its a sizeable chunk

Well worth the price premium

Just make sure you have a proper PSU and case size.

Although some 970s are probably smaller and use less watts

Cool...my case maximum is 11" max and the one I referenced is 9.5". Ballpark on the PSU is minium 500w with 2 6-pin connectors and I'm good there also.

helloWorld

Established Member
I did some quick research, I guess one could look at the graphics score instead of the 3dMark score to isolate the GPU in the scoring process.

Intervention302

Established Member
I did some quick research, I guess one could look at the graphics score instead of the 3dMark score to isolate the GPU in the scoring process.
SLI 970 FTW
39c08faf0f94b52d2aab00a98f125c5f.jpg

For whatever reason I can't find my single run.

But apples to apples its 15,750. I'll run it tonight to see what the GPU is

Anybody interested in purchasing my h110 water cooler?

Intervention302

Established Member
Better example... With Firestrike

SLI: Total score 17,917 : Graphics Score 24,311

Single: Total Score 10,673 : Graphics Score 12,813

I can;t remember if both were at 4.9Ghz. But at 4.8

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member

The overall score is a weird unbalanced formula. Graphics score will tell all. The overall in sli is always gimped by the physics score. The physics test is also only a single threaded task, which seems unfair with multi-core processors being the norm these days but I guess in retrospect fair since muti-threaded games are rare.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Thanks for the input. Got me thinking with Paypal Credit on purchases over $250 there's no interest for 6 months. I can pickup a 970...just will have to intercept the package so my wife doesn't see it...HA!

I'm eyeing this one for my rig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076
Thats how I bought my water loop. If thats a permanent thing, I'll always be owing, lol. Newegg preferred also has the same deal but if u spend over $500, you get 12 months to pay it off.

Intervention302

Established Member
Well, the way I see it is the 3d11 score is a combined score, so even if I had an amazing GPU, if the rest of the system is not up to par, then the overall score is obviously going to suffer.

I can not say for sure how much difference your CPU makes in the equation, but I do know that my 2600K is getting old and I guess the core architecture itself might not be enough, regardless of the fact that I am clocked pretty high (5.2 GHz.) It probably does not help that I am still on dual channel memory at a lower speed (1600 MHz.) I know that memory speed and channels do not affect much in practical use, but benchmarking programs have the possibility to benefit from the additional bandwidth.

In my experience, stretched gave me a couple of hundred higher points consistently than centered mode in 3d11.
I'll need to try it.

Really wanted to hit 16,000 with a single 970 in 3dmark11

I'm just going to a custom loop.

D5 in a photon 170, xspc ax360, raystorm block, and 3 noctua fans

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I'll need to try it.

Really wanted to hit 16,000 with a single 970 in 3dmark11

I'm just going to a custom loop.

D5 in a photon 170, xspc ax360, raystorm block, and 3 noctua fans
The raystorm is awesome. Very low restriction and the led accent is a plus. If u have a windowed case, a flow indicator is a nice little added bonus.

Have u decided what fluid to use? Distilled water is the best performer, but you will need a kill coil or an anti-corrosive/anti-algae additive. There are a bunch of bottled fluids u can use, but be aware the died stuff can gunk up inside blocks.

I used Innovatek Protect when I filled my loop:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2120/ex-liq-19/Innovatek_Protect_1_Liter_Non-Conductive_Water_Cooling_Fluid_-_Ready_to_Use_500473.html?tl=g30c337s889

Its a non-conductive fluid. It will become conductive shortly after its been cycling through the loop for a few days, but if u have a leak in the beginning, all is well. I will be doing distilled water when it comes time to flush the system in march though.

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
The raystorm is awesome. Very low restriction and the led accent is a plus. If u have a windowed case, a flow indicator is a nice little added bonus.
Heard it's not fun to mount...

But essentially got it for free in a bundle

Users who are viewing this thread