who is the best tuner and why?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
That's the issue I have, I feel like without a datalog what is keeping a lund tune from being any different then a bama tune? I just would not feel comfortable with my car getting a canned tune for 200$.

Ive heard the response that these cars are not much different from eachother before on this lund canned tune debate before. But you said it yourself there is a lot more that goes into tuning these cars than most think.

Also again this is not a vendor bash, you sell lund so of course your going to defend. This is just an open debate on the topic of tuners.

-Thomas

n/a tunes don't really need data logs like beefcake said. If you get data logs to get a couple of more hp then sure that's fine but a n/a tune without data logs is pretty safe especially if you only have basic boltons.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
n/a tunes don't really need data logs like beefcake said. If you get data logs to get a couple of more hp then sure that's fine but a n/a tune without data logs is pretty safe especially if you only have basic boltons.

Every vehicle is different from each other in one way or another. If your paying 200$ already the least you can get is some good datalogs to make sure everything is ok before you commit to running a tune.

I don't want to pay money for something to click a file that says 2012 mustang manual with xpipe and cai next to it and just change the computer code on it. Maybe you feel different about that but that's your fault for buying a 30k car and settling for that.

-Thomas

13GT5.0

Established Member
Nobody Mentioned Steeda's tunes. Ive had mine for 2 and 1/2 years with NO issues and great performance. I have yet to read on a Forum where someone had a problem with their tuning ability.

RC

Steeda (gus) is another great tuner. Can't go wrong with their tunes. Forgot them :dw:

old_goat

Established Member
.......l. how about this from now on have the tuners tune cars 1st an once they have completed the full tune of the car then they shall get there payment. does that sound fair? then if the customer is not happy with who ever services they can leave an go somewhere else with out the loss of there money.

I can guarantee you that this dog won't hunt, and it ain't gonna happen. :nono:

Nice try though. :-D

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Every vehicle is different from each other in one way or another. If your paying 200$ already the least you can get is some good datalogs to make sure everything is ok before you commit to running a tune.

I don't want to pay money for something to click a file that says 2012 mustang manual with xpipe and cai next to it and just change the computer code on it. Maybe you feel different about that but that's your fault for buying a 30k car and settling for that.

-Thomas

unless you have a really shitty tune nothing will happen. thousands of cars are running tunes without any data logs and dont have any issues. engines are different but not different enough to need major tuning tweaks. you can make more power with datalogging by playing with the cam timing some but overall safety of n/a tunes without datalogs are pretty much the same as factory.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I can guarantee you that this dog won't hunt, and it ain't gonna happen. :nono:

Nice try though. :-D

I don't need a tune so it doesn't matter to me. But that fact is getting a mail order seems to be a joke with some of the tuners. Bama seems to have a huge crowd and they don't seem to have a problem getting back to customers in a timely matter with respons an updates an they also don't make excuses about being to busy to handle there work load. That's why I said pay after services rendered as that way you wouldn't have all these issues of people posting threads like these.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
unless you have a really shitty tune nothing will happen. thousands of cars are running tunes without any data logs and dont have any issues. engines are different but not different enough to need major tuning tweaks. you can make more power with datalogging by playing with the cam timing some but overall safety of n/a tunes without datalogs are pretty much the same as factory.

How about all them number 8 that were na. Cars? There are plenty of them an most number 8 have been tuned by the big name tuners. Which most of them could have been saved if they had data logs to fix tge issue

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

You are still missing the point of this. If your paying the money for it you should get all you can out of it. You don't have to stand up for this. Your F/I, you had your little dyno session so your all good.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Has anyone gone from one tuner to another, and seen track time differences? Im really aiming this question to the simple bolt on N/A crowd. My 13 m6 has a bama tune that was only revised once for my off road lethal H pipe. My mods are modest with a drop in K&N, H pipe, steeda mufflers, and weld rts 15x10 & 17x4.5 with Hoosier QTP out back. Last week with a DA of 2346 the car went [email protected] (1.69 60'). In similar conditions, could a different tuner squeeze at least a tenth or two out of this?

Not truly attempting to hijack OP's thread, but i feel this builds on his question.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
I am the only authorized Lund Racing dyno shop west of the Rockies. I communicate with Lund Racing on a daily basis, and through that interface I can see or at the least develop a pretty good idea of the shear volume of requests Lund Racing receives daily/weekly/monthly.

I think the issue is that tuner X only sees a fraction of the work load that Lund Racing does. This obviously makes it easier for tuner X to be at the customer's beck and call as there is simply less inquiries to tend to. Remember that Lund Racing still consists of just 3 people at it's core. Jon, Jon II, and Ken Bjonnes.

Lund Racing is obviously very busy, and not without reason. They are the best. They tune the quickest, fastest, most consistent cars in the nation.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I am the only authorized Lund Racing dyno shop west of the Rockies. I communicate with Lund Racing on a daily basis, and through that interface I can see or at the least develop a pretty good idea of the shear volume of requests Lund Racing receives daily/weekly/monthly.

I think the issue is that tuner X only sees a fraction of the work load that Lund Racing does. This obviously makes it easier for tuner X to be at the customer's beck and call as there is simply less inquiries to tend to. Remember that Lund Racing still consists of just 3 people at it's core. Jon, Jon II, and Ken Bjonnes.

Lund Racing is obviously very busy, and not without reason. They are the best. They tune the quickest, fastest, most consistent cars in the nation.

Thats fine and dandy, but still is not a reason to let someone hang with a car that isnt tuned properly. Maybe you can help the op out with his car then? Everyone that uses him keeps saying the same thing, he tunes the fastest cars and hes busy hes the best yada yada. like thats a valid excuse to have bad customer service.:rolleyes: I could careless if he tunes the fastest cars...and him being the best is a biased opinion, if he cant make a car idle correctly or help out a paying customer, it doesnt say much about being the best.

OP good luck on getting an updated tune I hope you take others advice on here and choose another tuner of your choice who actually have customer service with email access and a phone.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Are they the best??? I will give it to them on the track they have proven to be the fastest in our mustang world. But that in no way makes them the best. They also have the highest number blown egines related to tune issues for the 11-13 5.0s an 13-14 gt500s.that to me would not make them the best. The lack of customer service also would not make them the best. Do you really think lund racing has a higher volume of request over bama? If not why is bama able to keep customer satifaction pretty good.

It seems lund racing is very good at staying connected to his vendors that make him money. That's great for you guys. But that doesn't help the little guy that spent $200plus on a tune that isn't working correctly on his car an is having a hard time getting in touch with someone from lund racing to fix it.

SVTPete83

Established Member

I would want it data logged just for the simple fact that the tuner would then know from the get go that the motor is healthy and running properly prior to tuning it

DIB5.0

Established Member
Has anyone gone from one tuner to another, and seen track time differences? Im really aiming this question to the simple bolt on N/A crowd. My 13 m6 has a bama tune that was only revised once for my off road lethal H pipe. My mods are modest with a drop in K&N, H pipe, steeda mufflers, and weld rts 15x10 & 17x4.5 with Hoosier QTP out back. Last week with a DA of 2346 the car went [email protected] (1.69 60'). In similar conditions, could a different tuner squeeze at least a tenth or two out of this?

Not truly attempting to hijack OP's thread, but i feel this builds on his question.

I have tried a few different tunes and found little difference in track times and dyno #'s. Basically for auto's it all comes down to the transmission set up that makes the biggest difference but power wise they are all with in a hp or 2.
Its all basically in the feel of the tune that makes the biggest difference.
Some tune a little leaner and add more timing than others.
My 13 reads 11.5 - 12.0 depending on the tune with no difference it making at the track.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Are they the best??? I will give it to them on the track they have proven to be the fastest in our mustang world. But that in no way makes them the best. They also have the highest number blown egines related to tune issues for the 11-13 5.0s an 13-14 gt500s.that to me would not make them the best. The lack of customer service also would not make them the best. Do you really think lund racing has a higher volume of request over bama? If not why is bama able to keep customer satifaction pretty good.

It seems lund racing is very good at staying connected to his vendors that make him money. That's great for you guys. But that doesn't help the little guy that spent $200plus on a tune that isn't working correctly on his car an is having a hard time getting in touch with someone from lund racing to fix it.

where do you get the info that they have the highest number of blown engines?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Maybe it is time for lund to scale it down then. They need to regroup and think about what they need to do for customer service.

The only 2 things I ever hear or read about for them is "I cant get ahold of them" or "My car doesnt run right".

I DONT KNOW WHY EVERYONE GOES BACK TO THEY TUNE THE FASTEST, QUICKEST AND MOST CONSISTENT CARS IN THE NATION! 85% OF PEOPLE DO NOT CARE! IF THEY CANT GET A BASIC BOLTON CAR TO NOT DIE AT EVERY STOP SIGN OR A PAXTON CAR TO NOT MELT A PISTON WITHIN THE FIRST MONTH OF IT BEING DYNO TUNED THEN WHO CARES!

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
Maybe it is time for lund to scale it down then. They need to regroup and think about what they need to do for customer service.

The only 2 things I ever hear or read about for them is "I cant get ahold of them" or "My car doesnt run right".

I DONT KNOW WHY EVERYONE GOES BACK TO THEY TUNE THE FASTEST, QUICKEST AND MOST CONSISTENT CARS IN THE NATION! 85% OF PEOPLE DO NOT CARE! IF THEY CANT GET A BASIC BOLTON CAR TO NOT DIE AT EVERY STOP SIGN OR A PAXTON CAR TO NOT MELT A PISTON WITHIN THE FIRST MONTH OF IT BEING DYNO TUNED THEN WHO CARES!

We will probably not agree on a lot of things, But this statement is nothing but the truth!

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Just want to thank everyone for sharing experience & insight. This is truly an experience for me and next time I will certainly do more home work when selecting someone to work on my ride. I realize not everything will always be perfect on the first try but my follow up experience is likely to be the determining factor going forward. Caveat Emptor!

Users who are viewing this thread