Who runs a scattershiled and which one

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Okay in the process of ordering a magnum and all te necessary mods a couple peoplehabe recommended a scattershield. My car info is in my signature

The car in the two years I have owned it has never seen the track some occasional spirited driving but other then than shes a cruiser.

Is a scatter shield overkill for me?

Which one you running?

What mods were needed to run it?

Thanks as always

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
honestly i would keep you bell housing from your t56. Save yourself the extra price.

Take you drive shaft down to Driveline in SE calgary and get them to shorten it for you 1" and new u Joints, take your pinion flange with you and yoke or you will make a second trip.

I am running a spec 3+ clutch and the stock pivot arm is a lil to short i think so I'm going to have to drop the transmission again but i think for the time being its fine.

re use your clutch cable,

i don't know how different the magnum is from the cobra t56 but

I had to lengthen my speedo pigtail as the connection was on the pass side of the tranny.

I didn't bother with back up lights as i need a pigtail for them, and i left off the reverse lockout solenoid as its not a pain to get into reverse

Western motorsports can set you up with everything you need just give em a shout.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
disregard the part about the pivot stud. I didn't realize that my cable was on the middle hook of the quadrant.

I run a Mcleod, and I'm not to impressed with it. Infact i have to call them regarding the way my transmission sits as i think when the welded the plates on the bell housing and drilled the holes they didn't have them level so the transmission has a little tilt in it left to right. Also the hardware they sent to bolt the housing to the t56 was to short, like not even close to working

jay

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've had a McLeod in mine for quite a few years. Didn't have any install issues othe than slight grinding on lip to give clearance around Mac longtubes. I personally don't consider it overkill at all. I've seen what happens when a clutch comes apart.

bubblehead93

Established Member
now is the time to install it if you are going to do it... that being said, I think it is overkill for a cruiser... of course, one man's spirited driving is another man's "oh my god, what is he doing..."

if you are going to run a slick and dump the clutch to launch at a respectable rpm... well, these cars are heavy (not as heavy as some) so you could scatter a clutch... I would add a drive shaft loop first, seen more u-joints fail over the years than clutches... both are pretty catastrophic... falls in the category of low probability, but very high consequence...

Maustang

Established Member
I have a mcleod in mine, had a lot of issues.
First the motor plat was to thick it rubbed the back side of the flywheel.
Then the top of the housing was hitting the heads.
Last the holes for the dowels on the trans weren't deep enough.
Needless to say I wouldn't recommend.
From what I've read the Lakewood housing fit a lot better.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
now is the time to install it if you are going to do it... that being said, I think it is overkill for a cruiser... of course, one man's spirited driving is another man's "oh my god, what is he doing..."

if you are going to run a slick and dump the clutch to launch at a respectable rpm... well, these cars are heavy (not as heavy as some) so you could scatter a clutch... I would add a drive shaft loop first, seen more u-joints fail over the years than clutches... both are pretty catastrophic... falls in the category of low probability, but very high consequence...

I will be running et streets and if I do race it is typically from a roll, drive shaft loop is already installed.

If I do run from a dig I launch at no more then 4k.

I have a mcleod in mine, had a lot of issues.
First the motor plat was to thick it rubbed the back side of the flywheel.
Then the top of the housing was hitting the heads.
Last the holes for the dowels on the trans weren't deep enough.
Needless to say I wouldn't recommend.
From what I've read the Lakewood housing fit a lot better.

Primary reason I dont want to do a scattershild. I am concerned with the hassle involved on a normal install, then throw kooks into the mix. I knoe my factory bell fits but all these horror stories I read has me really liking my feet. Thwt being said the car ie never at the track

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I wonder with the guys that are having issues with the McLeod are these fairly new? Maybe the have made some recent manufacturing issues that need addressed. Mine went in probably 7 yrs ago without issues. I do know some at that time had the flywheel rub on block plate. I run an aftermarket steel flywheel that fit plate fine.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
QuickTime SFI housing here. No issues to speak of with the bellhousing. The block plate needed to be clearanced slightly for the starter. It's well documented on YouTube. Easy 5 minute fix.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
pretty sure mine is the quicktime piece, worst part is there are no offset dowels for us and that makes indexing it to the center line of the crank shaft loads of fun. Other than that (or if you arent worried about it). The kooks headers did require pretty significant grinding on the driver side of it though

SlowSVT

Established Member
In 10 years of being in the Terminator club the number of clutch explosions I have heard of comes to exactly "0"

There are alignment issues with aftermarket formed sheet metal bell housings. The factory die cast housing will be much more accurate and all that expose aluminum surface area will help cool the tranny better.

Heat is what blows-up clutches not rpm.

D-MANN

Established Member
In 10 years of being in the Terminator club the number of clutch explosions I have heard of comes to exactly "0"

There are alignment issues with aftermarket formed sheet metal bell housings. The factory die cast housing will be much more accurate and all that expose aluminum surface area will help cool the tranny better.

So true. Should be a like button for this post.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
pretty sure mine is the quicktime piece, worst part is there are no offset dowels for us and that makes indexing it to the center line of the crank shaft loads of fun. Other than that (or if you arent worried about it). The kooks headers did require pretty significant grinding on the driver side of it though
I put mine in 2 years ago and it didn't require any indexing.

First search I googled revealed pleanty of clutch incidents. The heat that causes the clutch to fail isn't the heat from the 200 degree transmission....the friction of the clutch on the flywheel generates 10x that heat, and when it's slipped too much, like a high rpm launch that dead hooks and burns the clutch on the flywheel, you're at risk. No amount of bellhousing heat sink material will save you.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?823901-My-clutch-exploded-today

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
First search I googled revealed pleanty of clutch incidents. The heat that causes the clutch to fail isn't the heat from the 200 degree transmission....the friction of the clutch on the flywheel generates 10x that heat, and when it's slipped too much, like a high rpm launch that dead hooks and burns the clutch on the flywheel, you're at risk.

A guy who just Googled this topic is now schooling me on it. My friend grenade his at Bonneville behind a blown nitro hemi. The carnage was ugly with the clutch assembly looking like it went thru a shredder. A street car or occasional drag racer is not even in the same league.

No amount of bellhousing heat sink material will save you.
:dw:

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member

Just using your words, no need to be rude. I didn't just "google the topic". I searched for cobras with catastrophic failures that breached the bellhousing, and showed an example, no schooling involved. The possibility is there, the solutions are readily available and warranted, that was all I wanted to show. My QuickTime has been flawless since install and looks badass to boot, form and function. So it added 15 lbs...I'm 260 lbs under stock weight, big woop. My extremely ridged and safe bellhousing was worth it. Hope you don't have to eat crow someday with a freak failure, or telling guys to skip safety upgrades and they have one.

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
have a quicktime with my magnum, its a stout piece had no clearance issues with my mac longtubes, but when i did the install i put the bell housing on the back of the motor then slid the trans into the bellhousing/clutch and ran it down and torqued from there 10k miles and no issues.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Just using your words, no need to be rude. I didn't just "google the topic". I searched for cobras with catastrophic failures that breached the bellhousing, and showed an example, no schooling involved. The possibility is there, the solutions are readily available and warranted, that was all I wanted to show. My QuickTime has been flawless since install and looks badass to boot, form and function. So it added 15 lbs...I'm 260 lbs under stock weight, big woop. My extremely ridged and safe bellhousing was worth it. Hope you don't have to eat crow someday with a freak failure, or telling guys to skip safety upgrades and they have one.

your statement suggesting I was implying that the aluminum bell housing could somehow prevent a clutch explosion when I clearly stated it will wick heat off the tranny (and the engine) is what prompted my response. Nothing wrong with a scatter shield but there are downsides as stated.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Users who are viewing this thread