Who takes there hood insulator off?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard that some peoples underside of the hood is painted all the way. I was thinking about taking mine off cause it looks really bad. Water over the years going through the hood vents making stains and such.

Eventually I might buy a new insulator, is it true it makes the eaton a little louder?

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
You can repaint the hood liner if you'd like, you don't necessarily have to buy a new one.

It won't make the eaton louder, but you may hear it a little better because the insulation isn't there.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Any con's if removing the insulator when it's raining outside? i don't try to drive my car in the rain, but sometimes you just get caught out in it. I'm guessing my removing the hood this might help on the IAT temps possibly?

UncleDan

Established Member
Any con's if removing the insulator when it's raining outside? i don't try to drive my car in the rain, but sometimes you just get caught out in it. I'm guessing my removing the hood this might help on the IAT temps possibly?

I've had no issues in the rain with mine off, and I did notice the engine runs slightly cooler, although it won't be any big difference since that's all controlled by the thermostat anyways. You can also hear the supercharger better and it looks better with it off IMO anyways.

MustangChris

Established Member
the increased heat on the underside of the hood *over time* **may** cause spiderwebs on the paint, both on the underside and topside of the hood.

If you remove your liner, yours may never spiderweb, but its not out of the question. Ive seen it happen before.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Mines been off for years as well....still need to get the underside painted though.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I did just take mine off and its all painted, but theres some scratches and two factory strips of tape which they painted right over. The underside would have to have some touch up paint kinda looks crappy.

If I painted the hood insulator, any certain type of paint? Guessing some that can handle heat, I don't want a damn fire!

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I did just take mine off and its all painted, but theres some scratches and two factory strips of tape which they painted right over. The underside would have to have some touch up paint kinda looks crappy.

If I painted the hood insulator, any certain type of paint? Guessing some that can handle heat, I don't want a damn fire!

SEM Trim black.

The two pieces of tape are there to cover the date code stickers while the hood is painted.

XDSC01596.jpg

Last edited:

mean03

Established Member
Took the one off the vert and have to agree loved it and never had any issues with the paint up to the 99k that was on it when I sold it..

Users who are viewing this thread