who would win...Me or 2004 stock STI?????

2001asp

Established Member
A guy I work with came up to me today and wants to run me in my 01 Cobra. He say's he is stock but seems very confident and cocky. My mods are in the sig....

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
you will win, stock u already have 20 hp on him, he has awd so from a dig he has advantage but for example my friends bone stock sti went high 13's thats what ur stock 01 runs and then add ur mods in so from a roll Im sure you should destory it, if its a stock sti, but becareful sti guys are most stage 1 or stage 2, they claim thats stock, because its "bolt ons" still stock turbo, as if more boost . boost controller, or intake exaust etc is stock lolbut stage 2 cars seem to be 300awhp so be careful!

Mizzell5000

65 Mustang Master
Established Member
ya my friend is an sti guy, he tried convincing me to race him and that he was bone stock, bout 2 months back he and i put on a turbo and cold air induction, he didnt even remember i raced him anyway and pulled 3 lengths on him

i think you have him but idk what an actual stock sti has got

Last edited:

F the V-TAC

Established Member
Yeah he can have a COBB accessport and you not be aware at all... Accessport tuner, done!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
you will win, stock u already have 20 hp on him, he has awd so from a dig he has advantage but for example my friends bone stock sti went high 13's thats what ur stock 01 runs and then add ur mods in so from a roll Im sure you should destory it, if its a stock sti, but becareful sti guys are most stage 1 or stage 2, they claim thats stock, because its "bolt ons" still stock turbo, as if more boost . boost controller, or intake exaust etc is stock lolbut stage 2 cars seem to be 300awhp so be careful!

Grammar please........

Stock for stock it would be a close race from a dig, from a roll it would go to the Cobra. Modded Cobra youre gonna drag him if you know how to drive from a dig, let alone a roll.

Even if hes modded with some sleeper stuff or what he claims is "stock" because its a gay ass staged upgrade, youre still likely to drag him. I used to equal my buddies bolton 06 wrx from both digs and rolls with my stock 02 GT, so a STi is a little quicker and so is a 99/01 Cobra compared to their lesser counterparts.

wma8706

Established Member
What tires are you running? From a dig is all about maximizing traction and even a stock well driven STI brings a lot to the table on the streets. Without sticky tires and 4.10's in your Cobra ..... and if he knows how to launch the AWD... you'll be playing catch up. You should have no problems from a roll if the STI is stock or basic intake and exhaust. Down pipe mod for the STI should make things interesting for both of you from a roll.

rexisme

Established Member
Edit- read your mods. Should be close, watch out for the AP though, especially if it has a pro-tune and launch control enabled. If he has the newest version of the AP, you can tell. They aren't corded anymore and alot of guys leave the plug in hooked up to the OBD so they can switch maps on the fly or read boost from the hand unit.

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You'll have him from a roll, and should from a dig as well as long as you nail the launch otherwise you'll be trying to chase him down.

They aren't corded anymore and alot of guys leave the plug in hooked up to the OBD so they can switch maps on the fly or read boost from the hand unit.

Not corded... What are you talking about? They're still corded. I have the latest version of the Cobb Accessport in the trunk of my 05 STi right now. It's corded.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
Let me chime in as always when it involves a Subaru... :)

You should beat a stock STi with your 01 Cobra from a roll or dig. However, if he has an AccessPort and is tuned, it will be interesting from a dig. If he is at stage 2, and has the AP, intake, turboback exhaust, and a tune, he could def beat you from a roll or dig....Ive run consistent high 12's at 106-108 with an off-the-shelf map stage 2 map on my 04 STi.

Lots of coulda woulda shoulda crap, but you get the point....the 04-05 STi's will run low 13's stock with a good driver, so if he has some mods and can drive, he could def beat your 01.

Good luck!

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
Edit- read your mods. Should be close, watch out for the AP though, especially if it has a pro-tune and launch control enabled. If he has the newest version of the AP, you can tell. They aren't corded anymore and alot of guys leave the plug in hooked up to the OBD so they can switch maps on the fly or read boost from the hand unit.

BTW, the newest AccessPort is corded and plugged into my STi right now...the cord runs from the AP to the OBD port under the steering column

blackfang

Established Member
It could go either way. but like they said if the STI has some mods, he is going to take you provided he can drive.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I took down a stock 07 STi from a roll with a 99 Cobra with a hurst shifter. You better win.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I raced my friends 06 STI. He had an intake and an axle back exhaust at the time and was making about 18psi. I was completely stock in my Mach 1. We did a 10-15mph roll, and up to about 110(top of 3rd). I ended up a good 2 1/2 lengths in front of him. And this was on a straight with slight turns road. So you shoul have him depending on what race you do. If you can, check the axle back connection to the mid pipe. If its bigger than 2 1/2 in its def not stock and he prob has a tune with the exhuast.

CleanNGreen96

4v GT
Established Member
From a dig : If you havent mastered a good clutch dump/slip, that AWD is gonna eat you out of the hole. But from a roll, advantage to the stang. Stock for stock, depending on driver, the Cobra def. has the upper hand... But if he's modded with such mods like the prev. posters have stated, unfortuantley you'll get murdered. Even w/out an AP, just a diff. wastegate spring blow-off & exh, those "street legal rally cars" are a force to be reckoned with.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You should take him. Especially from a roll. From a dig you can take him if you get traction and can drive. Your power with the 4.10 gears helps you get out of the hole. But again, if you can drive from a dig.

evo connevo

Established Member
You will be fine. He will need a custom tune to pull you. Any base map and exhaust wont be enough, especially since you have gears. Have fun, do 1 from a dig and roll.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
as some of these guys said, he has to have an AP and FULL turboback exhaust to pull you...boost with the stock turbo will spike at 19psi or so and taper to around 13....intake really wont do much without a tune....

Users who are viewing this thread