Who's going 3.55,3.73,4.10, 4.30?

rwboring

Established Member
unless you're running slicks changing to anything lower will really probably hurt on the street... first gear is already so limited... although sometimes i hate how much you have to slip it to get rolling (its like 9mph at 1000 in first)...

I could see them saying a boss is more "fun" when you are at 1500 in 5th and have more torque then the boss does at peak it does kind of take the fun out of it... there is something about a screaming motor vs just seeing the speedo go up that gets your blood pumping...

Last edited:

gkviper192

Established Member
i'd upgrade rubber before gears... Amount of traction on the street with 700rwhp and upgraded rubber will be the deciding factor on gears for me.

SteveWK

Established Member
Launch control is a feedback control system. Changing the rear gear ratio changes a gain in the whole loop. No way around that. Having said that, I don't know how Ford implemented its launch control and whether it is robust enough to cope with a gear change or not. If launch control is important to you, I would wait and let the other people experiment first.

Steve

rwboring

Established Member
Launch control is a feedback control system. Changing the rear gear ratio changes a gain in the whole loop. No way around that. Having said that, I don't know how Ford implemented its launch control and whether it is robust enough to cope with a gear change or not. If launch control is important to you, I would wait and let the other people experiment first.

Steve

it is but it is also an adjustable feedback system that was designed to adjust to the situation.

it will be interesting to see how it works... i think somewhere i read that if it feels you have no traction (rain snow etc) it kicks itself out. I just wonder where that line is.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Being able to do almost 135 in 3rd @ 7000 RPM's seems quite tall. Taller than the current Z.

I'll bet a set of steeper gears would be absolutely neck snapping from a roll when traction is not as important.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Whoa, I couldn't imagine throwing 4.30 gears on the car. I'm sure it is already a spin fest on the street the way it is.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Yes, tractive effort! Once you multiply the engine torque by all of the gear ratios, then divide it by the radius of the tire, the numbers are impressive! An engine torque of 600 ft-lbf calculates to approximately 5,200 ft-lbf at the axle and 4,500 lbf at the tire in 1st gear, with the 3.31 gears, and that ignores the rotating inertia, it only gets more fun with 4.10s!!!!

Last edited:

twest

There are no optional rear end gears for the 2013 GT500. All you get is 3.31:1 no matter what package you order.

Are you sure??
The Ford website states 3:55 gears are standard in the 13 GT 500 and 3:31 are with the optional performance package.

Check it out:
2013 Ford Mustang | Compare Vehicles | Ford.com

click on performance and handling tab

You would think they would offer the opposite, 3:31 standard and 3:55 or better yet 3:73 with the performance package.
Just trying to get the correct info
Thanks

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
^^^ you are new to the boards, this is old news....the Ford website has alot of things listed wrong so dont go by that. All vehicles are equipped with 3.31 gears

Users who are viewing this thread