Who's running Paxton/Vortech Competition Inlet

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
Got my paxton kit a few weeks ago. Looking to upgrade the filter/inlet. Thinking about getting the JLT competition blow through inlet but wanted to see what people who are running the jlt think about it. Would you buy the vortech inlet instead if you had to do it over? Is there any other manufacturers out there that make an inlet for the paxton other than vortech and jlt?

stang8psi

Established Member
I think there are alot of filters that will work in it's place! I think the roush intake will work since it replaces the stock box but still bolts up to where the factory intake tube is, If thats all the JLt and Vortech/Paxton filters do and they are blow through setup that is just putting an open air element filter in the stock box's location there could be alot of options there!

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
I think there are alot of filters that will work in it's place! I think the roush intake will work since it replaces the stock box but still bolts up to where the factory intake tube is, If thats all the JLt and Vortech/Paxton filters do and they are blow through setup that is just putting an open air element filter in the stock box's location there could be alot of options there!

I was thinking the same thing. I'm leaning towards the jlt blow through since I don't have the cai. I know some people have ran the paxton without the intake tube and got 12lbs of boost with the stock pulley. I'm wondering if a bigger intake tube, if possible, and open air filter would achieve more boost? I haven't installed the blower yet so I'm just speculating based off of pictures.

stang8psi

Established Member
not sure on that but when I do my kit I am going to use the roush CAI I have and see how that works since it was free!

RFM50

Established Member
I did some research on both the Paxton and the jlt. The one thing I found out that I thought was interesting was that the Paxton uses the sealed box from airaid. That's why it's more expensive. The jlt is open on the bottom. I have heard from numerous companies that they see big gains with the jlt but haven't heard any numbers on the Paxton. To me the sealed box from Paxton/airaid would be better for intake temps but the jlt probably flows more air.

stang8psi

Established Member
I am not to impressed on the jlt piece! It looks like it just sits there with no support and the heat shield looks to be doing no work, and there is nothing to attach it to the stock air inlet at the front of the vehicle like all the other kits do! To me it just looks sloppy and can be done for less by just buying a filter and just slapping in in place like the jlt is. I would rather have a better looking great flowing piece than a rigged looking filter just hanging there!

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
I am not to impressed on the jlt piece! It looks like it just sits there with no support and the heat shield looks to be doing no work, and there is nothing to attach it to the stock air inlet at the front of the vehicle like all the other kits do! To me it just looks sloppy and can be done for less by just buying a filter and just slapping in in place like the jlt is. I would rather have a better looking great flowing piece than a rigged looking filter just hanging there!

575129_10150734823762655_1029927883_n.jpg

549301_10150837210792655_1051384667_n.jpg

It might not look like it but after i do a couple pulls and come back and pop my hood there is a huge difference in air temperature from where the filter is to where the engine is. When the hood is closed it stops most of the air from going to the intake as well as it still is pulling cold air from the stock intake cold air spot. As for it just hanging there. There is some support on the plastic but the intake tube is extremely strong when attached to the blower properly it can support a lot of weight. The filter doesn't even make it move. I have seen the vortech/paxton competition inlet in person and it looks a lot worse than the jlt one. I have seen two to be exact and both look horrible and neither owner could keep them clean after driving a good bit. I don't know about you but i'm not a huge fan of the dirty rubber look the vortech competetion inlet has.

Vortech comp inlet:
4FQ112-060-500x500.jpg

Jlt comp inlet: Here you can see the support it offers.
images

Not to mention the obvious. Price difference. $170 vs $290

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
price may be an issue and a big difference but again a filter just sitting there with the cheap plastic shroud that looks cheap is not the route i will go! shit I could make the jlt kit for under 50 bucks and it will probably look better! sure it works and it does whats advertised but it looks like shit and it is cheap looking!

the vortech air intake has a box that feeds the air right to the filter un like the jlt..

but what works and looks good to you may be a turn off and look cheap to me1

wnt2gofst

Banned
I have had the JLT and the Vortech Comp. cold air on my car. NO difference at all in power. Testing both on the Dyno.

I run my car at the track with no tube or filter AT ALL. It actually made a difference. You can see us testing no intake in dyno video

[youtube_browser]UNv5DyR51Ng[/youtube_browser]

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
I have had the JLT and the Vortech Comp. cold air on my car. NO difference at all in power. Testing both on the Dyno.

I run my car at the track with no tube or filter AT ALL. It actually made a difference. You can see us testing no intake in dyno video

[youtube_browser]UNv5DyR51Ng[/youtube_browser]

Did you put up any gains from the stock box to the comp inlets? I never got a before and after dyno on my car but apparently i got about a lb of boost from it.

Tucker

price may be an issue and a big difference but again a filter just sitting there with the cheap plastic shroud that looks cheap is not the route i will go! shit I could make the jlt kit for under 50 bucks and it will probably look better! sure it works and it does whats advertised but it looks like shit and it is cheap looking!

the vortech air intake has a box that feeds the air right to the filter un like the jlt..

but what works and looks good to you may be a turn off and look cheap to me1
Dude, really? :shrug:
Quality filters are $50 bucks

We price our kits as they should be.
If you had to build it yourself the typical price for parts are:
Silicone reducer ($25-35)
Custom aluminum tube 4.5" ($30-50)
Powder coating ($20)
S&B Powertack filter ($50)
ABS plastic heat shield ($50)
Clamps and weather strip ($15)
Time calling and running around town ($?)

We package it for $169

Research tells the OP it makes power and people are using it.
Members post it makes the same power as the Vortech kit that's $120 more
But you still want to shread the JLT?

Also, the heat shield is not open on the bottom at all. It's uses the air inlet from the grille and bolts in 2 places for a secure fit. It seals to the hood and allows good air flow to the filter.

No, it's not a molded piece like the Airaid or Roush, but it also saves you $120 and it's been proven.

wnt2gofst

Banned
Did you put up any gains from the stock box to the comp inlets? I never got a before and after dyno on my car but apparently i got about a lb of boost from it.
I never tested with stock air box. I had the other two already. Got a great price on both them. SO i wanted to test the two. I did see about 1.5-2lbs going from them to no intake though.

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
So would it be safe to say that replacing the paxton intake tube with a larger tube may increase boost? I don't believe there's anything on the market right now so it would have to be custom made to test.

KalEl370

Established Member
If you go with either the JLT or the vortech from the stock airbox, do you need to retune because of the added air/boost?

RFM50

Established Member
I thought I was sold on buying the paxton/vortech setup but after seeing the successes of the fastest cars owned by some of the best builders, im pretty sure im going to go with the JLT.

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
So would it be safe to say that replacing the paxton intake tube with a larger tube may increase boost? I don't believe there's anything on the market right now so it would have to be custom made to test.

I believe beefcake had a custom made pipe on his before.

Here is a video where you can see his:
[youtube_browser]yH27Og6P8tU[/youtube_browser]

JLT or JPC Get on that! I'm sure people would buy it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread