Why are stores like FYE dying?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I get that everything is digital now a days but I really enjoyed the vast music and sci-fi collections that stores like FYE and the old Sam Goody used to have. I went to the Cheyenne mall on the trip back from picking up my Shelby and the FYE that used to be massive is downsized into a Spencer gifts sized spot. It really is kind of depressing.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Amazon, it's that simple. All the places you used to be able to go and look at high end stereo around here are gone.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel the same way. As easy and convenient as it is to have all my music on my phone, I like buying and having cd's. I like to be able to physically touch and handle the music that I listen to. I grew up when MTV was in its prime and I miss watching music videos, and back then bands made good videos. Now the videos that can be watched on YouTube, most are still good but that's not a good form of reaching fans anymore. So most videos are mediocre. Music like it used to be is a dying breed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I think it applies to stores in general. Look at sears, Macy's, etc. I agree, Amazon, I'll admit I'm huge shopper there including car parts.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I feel the same way. As easy and convenient as it is to have all my music on my phone, I like buying and having cd's. I like to be able to physically touch and handle the music that I listen to. I grew up when MTV was in its prime and I miss watching music videos, and back then bands made good videos. Now the videos that can be watched on YouTube, most are still good but that's not a good form of reaching fans anymore. So most videos are mediocre. Music like it used to be is a dying breed

Exactly, I liked the process of hunting down the music I wanted out of the huge sea of cd's. They always had cool toys, t-shirts, posters, etc of cool films and series' I miss it for sure...

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
these stores have no one to blame but themselves. decades of poor customer service drove people to online vendors. they treated people like shit when they thought there was no other threat to them

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Best Buy still has all that stuff.
Very little....both best buys near me went from having a music selection that's half the size of the store to a bookshelf. Not literally but a very small selection

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
these stores have no one to blame but themselves. decades of poor customer service drove people to online vendors. they treated people like shit when they thought there was no other threat to them

Bullshit, for high end stereo, guy would walk in and suck up advice for an hour and then go home and punch his order in. And guess what, there is no guy to talk to anymore about high end stereo. There is also nowhere to take it for warranty work either.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Best Buy is looking like the last stand. They (Best Buy) will at least instantly match Amazon on anything they sell, you just pull it up on your phone and show them at the check out - I've done it several times. I end up paying the exact same price to the penny since I now have to pay sales tax on anything sold by Amazon.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Bullshit, for high end stereo, guy would walk in and suck up advice for an hour and then go home and punch his order in. And guess what, there is no guy to talk to anymore about high end stereo. There is also nowhere to take it for warranty work either.
This!!! X10

281CJ

Established Member
That's a niche market anymore. Sadly most people are just fine playing steamed music off their phone connected to a pair of bluetooth speakers.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
good point, so i guess im different. I do my own homework on high end purchases before i dive into the shark tank.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that clothes, jewelry, hardware, supermarkets, autos, and auto parts will be the only stores locally in the near future. Some stuff, like souvenirs, will still be sold in shops. Going to the mall will be the code for going to a gang fight.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
As long as a store can price match I will use them before Amazon. The problem is Amazon has everything and the stores dont. I get more stuff at Amazon, BUT if local stores can price match I would rather have it now than waiting a day+ for shipping.
fastest thing I ever got was under 24 hrs shipping from fresno (over 2.5 hours away), and it was an ebay purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread