Why are stores like FYE dying?

Blown 89

Established Member
And guess what, there is no guy to talk to anymore about high end stereo.
There are literally millions of people to talk to about high end stereos...it's called the internet. With the internet came the realization that those employees at brick and motars don't know jack shit, that you were overpaying for mediocre products, and there's a better way to do business.

Brick and mortar stores failed to evolve and they're dying off like the dinosaurs they are. They spent a decade telling customers the internet was crap and would never take off and that strategy bit them in the ass. It's their own damn fault.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
CDs are dead and good riddance. From needing to swap CDs for every album (unless you burned mp3) to enjoying all those scratches, to carrying around a giant folder with all of them (and waiting for someone to break your window for it) I'm glad they are gone. Instead you get things like Amazon music where it's auto shared to every device and PC you have and can never get lost stolen or damaged.

I used to be a big car stereo guy too....until factory stereos got so good. The factory systems might not be as good as the one I had when I was 18 but it's close enough if not ear splittingly loud. Pretty much gone are the days of cardboard cone speakers and 2 watt head units.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
these stores have no one to blame but themselves. decades of poor customer service drove people to online vendors. they treated people like shit when they thought there was no other threat to them

This is spot on. You walk into any store and the majority of the associates don't k ow jack about a product. They may tell you about a product but it is different than knowing. It is like a "car guy" telling you about cars that got his knowledge from watching F&F movies. You know he is retarded and knows nothing but it is entertaining.

I went to a car audio shop to listen to a few setups and ask questions. They tried telling me the component set I was looking at that had been compared to sets over $1k were no better than a set that had been compared to $250 sets. It was easy to see what they pushed harder than anything else.

When you go into "insert store name here" most floor associates do not want bother or have poor people skills. Sprinkle in a lack of knowledge and what are you paying for? The ability to complain to somebody in person that doesn't give a shit over somebody on a phone that doesn't care when stuff breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
There are literally millions of people to talk to about high end stereos...it's called the internet. With the internet came the realization that those employees at brick and motars don't know jack shit, that you were overpaying for mediocre products, and there's a better way to do business.

Brick and mortar stores failed to evolve and they're dying off like the dinosaurs they are. They spent a decade telling customers the internet was crap and would never take off and that strategy bit them in the ass. It's their own damn fault.

BS, let me give anyone a sales tax advantage on $5,000 worth of electronics and the cost of well trained employees: they will beat your ass every time. The stores used to have guys trained by the factory reps. Internet sales came and you could just watch the store owners cut costs where they could to try and stay competitive.

Watching youtube is a shadow of what you used to be able to do. I loved walking into the speaker rooms and switching between multiple speakers and amp setups.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
That's a niche market anymore. Sadly most people are just fine playing steamed music off their phone connected to a pair of bluetooth speakers.

I would gander to say 99 million percent of the people on here have ruined their hearing from loud cars.

Good quality sound is pretty much lost on me.

But in the context of the original thread, I'm guilty of online everything. I order groceries that way too. I just swing by and pick it up at Harris Teeter and drive on my merry way. I'm pretty sure Target is the only place I actually bother to go in... Well that and a gas station for beer.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
1. Online music.
1b. You can pick and choose the songs you like off an album instead of buying the entire album for more money.
2. Other niche stuff they sell can be found on Amazon, Ebay, direct from manufacturer website etc.
3. Some areas will be hit harder than others. Big places like malls aren't getting the same foot traffic in the smaller cities and are closing.
4. found out that an huge FYE somewhat close to me is still alive, but it's due to the huge foot traffic the mall pulls in. Also helps that the area the mall is in has a decent amount of middle/upper class residents who don't really penny pinch over certain purchases.

lastcall190

Established Member
For some things. I'd never buy a TV, washing machine, major item without first seeing it in person, in a retail store.

Agreed, though I bought my parents a Samsung 37" about 8 years ago on Amazon, sight unseen. It was a closeout item and a good deal, and it has served them well.

As stated before I finished typing this reply though, I imagine eventually that will dry up as well.

Blown 89

Established Member
BS, let me give anyone a sales tax advantage on $5,000 worth of electronics and the cost of well trained employees: they will beat your ass every time. The stores used to have guys trained by the factory reps. Internet sales came and you could just watch the store owners cut costs where they could to try and stay competitive.

Watching youtube is a shadow of what you used to be able to do. I loved walking into the speaker rooms and switching between multiple speakers and amp setups.
I hate to break it to you but the 16 year old kid at an electronics store was trained by a company to sell their speakers was taking you for a ride. Brick and mortars loved suckers like you

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I hate to break it to you but the 16 year old kid at an electronics store was trained by a company to sell their speakers was taking you for a ride. Brick and mortars loved suckers like you

LOL, you have no idea what kind of stores used to exist for high end audio do you?

Blown 89

Established Member
LOL, you have no idea what kind of stores used to exist for high end audio do you?
I do. I also realize that you were being played for a sucker even at the specialty stores.

You can puff your chest and act arrogant all you want but that doesn't change the fact that they drove themselves out of business.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I do. I also realize that you were being played for a sucker even at the specialty stores.

You can puff your chest and act arrogant all you want but that doesn't change the fact that they drove themselves out of business.

Their business model became obsolete when state and feds decided the internet should win. That is slowly changing, but way to late for a lot of businesses. Putting value in being able to walk into a store and talk to someone who knows the product is not being suckered. Because of guys like you, and you have plenty of company, stores can't afford to pay anyone that knows anything anymore.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Their business model became obsolete when state and feds decided the internet should win. That is slowly changing, but way to late for a lot of businesses. Putting value in being able to walk into a store and talk to someone who knows the product is not being suckered. Because of guys like you, and you have plenty of company, stores can't afford to pay anyone that knows anything anymore.

Very true, the balance was unfairly tilted and still is as Amazon does not require those that sell through them to collect tax, only things Amazon sells itself.
I am lucky that I still have a few old style car audio places nearby like this one:

http://www.mysafeandsound.com/

The techs and sales people actually know what they are talking about and they do a lot of exotic cars and high end builds.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
In 10 years or so you'll be shit outta luck.

maybe, maybe not. costco has started carrying major appliances and has a good selection of televisions and other electronics. costco keeps on growing and their warranty options and return policies are great.

i spend a lot of money at both costco and amazon lol. moreso at costco due to groceries. we go in for 1 item and walk out $300 poorer. every. time. its probably going to get even worse (for me) now that they accept visa instead of amex lol.

interesting read on costco & amazon
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/12/08/costco-the-anti-amazon-keeps-on-growing.aspx

if you've seen the movie "idiocracy" you'll note that they show Costco pretty much taking over the retail world while amazon is nowhere to be found....... costco is the tortoise and amazon is the hare

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
maybe, maybe not. costco has started carrying major appliances and has a good selection of televisions and other electronics. costco keeps on growing and their warranty options and return policies are great.

i spend a lot of money at both costco and amazon lol. moreso at costco due to groceries. we go in for 1 item and walk out $300 poorer. every. time. its probably going to get even worse (for me) now that they accept visa instead of amex lol.

interesting read on costco & amazon
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/12/08/costco-the-anti-amazon-keeps-on-growing.aspx

if you've seen the movie "idiocracy" you'll note that they show Costco pretty much taking over the retail world while amazon is nowhere to be found....... costco is the tortoise and amazon is the hare
Wait until Amazon starts selling groceries that will be delivered within hours after ordering them. Plus I won't pay monies for the privilege of shopping at a store. Not gonna happen.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Wait until Amazon starts selling groceries that will be delivered within hours after ordering them. Plus I won't pay monies for the privilege of shopping at a store. Not gonna happen.

I have an executive membership. I end up getting back the cost of my membership and then some via check every year. In other words, free membership.

I dont know if i can do groceries by internet. Vons is a mile away and i can view the fresh produce and deli meats before i buy them. But we'll see what AZ is able to do. I do love AZ and am a prime member. I also realized i only buy stuff from AZ directly or they wont stand behind the product and you have a very good chance of being screwed, which has happened to me.

Users who are viewing this thread