why do some scratch out their license plate

arizona302

Established Member
when posting pictures of their car? just curious, i mean what is gonna happen if someone gets your plate number?

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
I dont think that i's some one in particular so much as its John Q Law, and John Q Ford Dealer...

If they can link you and your car and all your 'stories/mods' together... argh...

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
People can figure out who you really are and where you live this can put your property and life in danger. If you are doing something questionably legal it can be used against you.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I don't bother to scratch mine out.
A dealer employee was kind enough to publicly identify my car and plates worldwide and nothing bad has happened so far. ;-)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If your dealer wants to hard enough he can figure out who you are. I think some might scratch it out to keep their plate info away from nosey in-staters who might want to get a fix on the owner's location. Just a thought. Personally I can't see many dealers spending time playing detective here. My dealer already knows about my mods. So far everything is cool and I don't expect that to change. He's fair. I'm fair.
:)

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
race rat let me guess you are the one i read about months ago with the guy at the dealer ship that took your car out and wooped on it then opened his mouth on the net......i see the have righted you in some way

its good to know

jeff

ralphy1798

Established Member
I do it so no one tries to break in to my truck and steal my stuff, since my pics can be linked to my stereo and such...

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
There are a lot of punk, scum sucking, friggin thieves out there.
If they see a nice car on the net and decide they want it.
Your plate leads them directly to you and your pride and joy.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
I live in a city with more than a million people. Chances are a local scum will get to my car after seeing it on the street and following me to work/home long before internet scum will.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
I live in a city with more than a million people. Chances are a local scum will get to my car after seeing it on the street and following me to work/home long before internet scum will.

How many people can keep up with you?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I hear you Tracy. But why give them extra ammo?:shrug:
Who says they're the ones with the extra ammo? ;-)
But seriously...I do understand the concern...it's just not a big one of mine. If someone wants the car bad enough, they'll take it. That's why I have insurance.

nj7703

Established Member
The more info you give people, the easier it is to be screwed with. It is pretty easy to find personal info on anyone for about 20 bucks online. Besides, you never know when you may win the lottery, and you get "new friends":-D

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member

EXACTLY. All it takes is a little money for any number of services on the net to provide you with a name and address from a plate number.

And yes, you are still exposed on the street. Many thieves will cruise the drag strip line looking for cars with the parts they want to steal/sell. Then they find out where they live and steal it.

So why add the the real world local threat by posting it for the entire world to see?

Maybe you think that's paranoid, but if your car was stolen tonight, would you think any different?

I've never posted exactly where I live on the net. No need for that to be out there. Closest I've posted was about 5-10 miles aways from my house.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Who says they're the ones with the extra ammo? ;-)
But seriously...I do understand the concern...it's just not a big one of mine. If someone wants the car bad enough, they'll take it. That's why I have insurance.

Maybe, but have you had to deal with an insurance company after a 30K car is stolen? It sucks.

I'd rather spend 5 seconds in Photoshop instead of 5 hours on the phone with the insurance co.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I'm not saying anyone is paranoid or that blurring out the plate is a bad idea.
That's a step toward attempting to protect your privacy, but not necessarily preventing car theft.

Car's are stolen when:
--key's are left in them
--doors are left unlocked
--there are other valuables visible in the car
--they're parked outside overnight
--they're parked in public places unattended

Users who are viewing this thread