Why does my 03 Cobra kill alternators???

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Ok I have an 03 Cobra with a 2.8 upper Diablo chip tuned by Strictley performance in Houston,Tx. where I live(its ran great since the tune 60,000 mile ago) a K&N FIPK air filter system Bassani off road X Mac cat back Spec 3+ clutch Fidenza fly wheel 26 spline input shaft ect. and I have owned the car for 2yrs since it had 21,000 miles and it has 80,000 miles now(I know I drive the $hit out of it).
Here is the deal I have had 3 alternators on it going out like clock work every 14,000 miles or so.........all put in by the same dealer Tommie Vaughn Ford here in Houston,Tx.
Runs fine then starts showing the same signes and symptoms then the damn alternator goes out........all were replaced under my warranty wich is now expired.........and the last one was put on in early may of this year......the dealer offers a one year/12,000 mile warranty on theyre parts and labor but im over the mileage.
SO WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???????:shrug::fm::mj::cuss::smmon:
Could it be I need some sort of alternator pulley to compensate for the smaller blower pulley???
John

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Maybe it just don't like em...J/K.
Not sure I'm still on stock.

It seems that the pullied cars are going thru them faster than non pullied. It must have something to do with it

Boosted95

Established Member
Id say you got something arkin somewere throwing a back signal..burning the alt out..you should check the volts..and make sure you got good power going everywere..maybe chase the wires and see if you can see anything wore down were its been rubbing.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
yeah seems like something is burning your alt. i'm still on stock alt. with three differn't motors with no issues. you might have something draining it.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Alternators are a known issues on these cars. A little searching will yeild quite a few threads about failure. I'm on my third now and it is weak at idle and low rpm, so I'll be looking at another soon. If I had to guess I'd say the location and lack of airflow is what kills these alternators.

LS1-Larry

Established Member
thanks for any input!
But there has got to be something
Prematurely killing my alternators because this will be my 4th one in the 2 years I have owned the car.
John

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
hey fellas what are the signs your alternator is failing?

LS-1 Larry have you tryed an aftermarket heavy duty alternator??

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
When mine is on the way out, I'll notice a faint flickering in the gauge cluster & head lights, a noticeably weaker "thunk" of the door locks when locked with the key fob, and soon enough the dreaded check engine light is on & then it's all over but the cussing.
I've put in an optima redtop and have an oversized alt pulley to underdrive the alt. I also plan to re-route one of 99cobra2881's brake duct tubes to provide cool air to the alt in an effort to reduce the temps it's exposed to.

Last edited:

yellowgt02

Established Member
I think mine is on its way out too...

battery light came on the other day and flickered on and off.

Ill take it out to have it tested...If I end up putting a new one in, ill run a 3.2 pulley.

MLMike25

Established Member
I think mine is on its way out too...

battery light came on the other day and flickered on and off.

Ill take it out to have it tested...If I end up putting a new one in, ill run a 3.2 pulley.

I'm having these same symptoms pop up this week. I just put an Optima red top in like 3 weeks ago. Gonna have to get it checked out.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Ok I have an 03 Cobra with a 2.8 upper Diablo chip tuned by Strictley performance in Houston,Tx. where I live(its ran great since the tune 60,000 mile ago) a K&N FIPK air filter system Bassani off road X Mac cat back Spec 3+ clutch Fidenza fly wheel 26 spline input shaft ect. and I have owned the car for 2yrs since it had 21,000 miles and it has 80,000 miles now(I know I drive the out of it).
Here is the deal I have had 3 alternators on it going out like clock work every 14,000 miles or so.........all put in by the same dealer Tommie Vaughn Ford here in Houston,Tx.
Runs fine then starts showing the same signes and symptoms then the damn alternator goes out........all were replaced under my warranty wich is now expired.........and the last one was put on in early may of this year......the dealer offers a one year/12,000 mile warranty on theyre parts and labor but im over the mileage.
SO WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???????:shrug::fm::mj::cuss::smmon:
Could it be I need some sort of alternator pulley to compensate for the smaller blower pulley???
John

NO,the flux capacitor is crosswired in the negative diode reverb polarity station board.Simple fix/end thread!
In other words,IDHAFC!

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I think that people putting after market batteries are having most of the issues. I think that the stock battery is the best thing for a replacement. Optima batteries put more stain on the alternator.

whipplesnake

Established Member
I've gone through a few. Three from Autozone 110 amp(lifetime warranty)they just would not last. Got my money back from the last bad one , and bought a Napa 130 amp(3 year warranty) so far so good.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I have burnt through 3 back to back. ALL of the reman or rebuilt alternators have issues. Find someone that went turbo and never had an alternator issue and offer to buy that one.

MLMike25

Established Member
How much for a new alternator for one of these puppies? Mine is dying and may/may not start tomorrow morning.

Users who are viewing this thread