Why does my 03 Cobra kill alternators???

svtguy22

Established Member
They go out becasue of heat over time. Plain and simple.

The diodes inside the alt are soldered in, when it gets hot enough too many times, the diode solder melts causing failure.

Buying a new alternator is a bad idea, becasue it will eventually happen again... Seems stock ones last 25-40k miles.

Buying a aftermarket one is even a WORSE idea, these usually are a time bomb in terms of longetivity, no matter what the brand.

The BEST option is to get it rebuilt, and when it is rebuilt, have the rebuilder tac-weld the new diodes in.

1. This costs less, I got mine rebuilt with BETTER internal parts for $140.00.
2. As long as it is properly rebuilt, should last longer then the car itself.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

svt911targa

Established Member
Hey LS1-Larry, i dont have an answer for you but have had the same prob, take it to a auto electric place and they can test load and output load. Ive got a strictly car as well, look familiar? term motor w/whipple. Richard is a good guy and those guys kno their @#$%&.

Tylerb59

Established Member
Mine is going out right now too.

Hard time keeping the battery charged makes the car difficult to start and while running the dash lights flicker even with everything else off.

I've been running with my gauge cluster illumination turned down low. Every now and then the radio shuts off and even the cluster has.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread