why is shifting so hard?

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
ok i just got my 03 cobra on fri. the guy who had it before me put ina pro 5.0. so why the hell is it so hard to shift? it is seriously hard to get into every gear. basically there is no way in hell i can slam any gear at all. like almost feels like it hits something everytime i shift into any gear. and getting from 2nd to 3rd, orget about it. i might aswell put it in neutrel and then shift up. why is it so damn hard to shift? any info would be great. thanks.

03DOHC

Established Member
Try adjusting the clutch. With the engine off and in first gear lift up on the clutch pedal and then depress it to the floor. Do this a couple of times. If you know where the quadrant is under the dash you can reach under there and do it with your hand too.

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
ill try that, but it is hard to shift when the clutch is alll the pressed down. i really dont think tis a clutch thing. i was thinkin whoever put it in was a dumb ass or maybe the shifter just blows. but my buddy with a gt has the pro 5.0 and he loves it and my buddy with a ss loves his.

Hye

Established Member
try some gm synchromesh fluid in the trans(4 qts, expensive around 8$ a quart) and put a stock shifter on just to see. I bet it will glide from gear to gear. I have a MGW shifter and it glides from gear to gear, maybe u should switch shifters.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Could be the clutch going up! You bought it from a private seller? I hope you double checked to make sure it had a warranty if it's below 3/36.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had occasionally difficult going into some gears with both my stock shifter and TriAx. I tried changing the fluid which did absolutely nothing. Actually the problem worsened in cold weather. I am convinced that a firewall adjuster/clutch quadrant change would have solved the problem. Others have done it and have raved about the results.

03DOHC

Established Member
SONICSNAKE03 said:
ill try that, but it is hard to shift when the clutch is alll the pressed down. i really dont think tis a clutch thing. i was thinkin whoever put it in was a dumb ass or maybe the shifter just blows. but my buddy with a gt has the pro 5.0 and he loves it and my buddy with a ss loves his.
Adjust the clutch.

redstaf426

Established Member
SONICSNAKE03 said:
ok i just got my 03 cobra on fri. the guy who had it before me put ina pro 5.0. so why the hell is it so hard to shift? it is seriously hard to get into every gear. basically there is no way in hell i can slam any gear at all. like almost feels like it hits something everytime i shift into any gear. and getting from 2nd to 3rd, orget about it. i might aswell put it in neutrel and then shift up. why is it so damn hard to shift? any info would be great. thanks.

Shifter handle!!I tried everything...ended up putting the stock handle back on,and man..it was the problem all along...clutch adjustment does help a lot,though;But not as much as a longer handle with much more leverege.the shorter the handle,the harder it shifts.

z-eater

stock with pulley
Established Member
Buy a new clutch, I had a same problem. I got SPEC stage 4 easy to shift and drive, I cant miss a gear.

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
you think the clutch is the problem? thats also what someone else told me it might be. i was thinkin it might have been the handle i had but then....... i took off the boot and..... omg i had the mgw handle.lol. how much did u pay for ur clutch and how much for install?

z-eater

stock with pulley
Established Member
SONICSNAKE03 said:
you think the clutch is the problem? thats also what someone else told me it might be. i was thinkin it might have been the handle i had but then....... i took off the boot and..... omg i had the mgw handle.lol. how much did u pay for ur clutch and how much for install?

I have paid $350 for Spec stage 4 and I m using stock flywheel. I Instaled the clutch with my friend. No problems anymore I hate it before when I miss the gears all the time and lost to slower cars because it wont go in gears.

fr03cobra

Established Member
Mine was hard to get into 1st and reverse. I had my tranny replaced by ford and they changed the TOB and upgraded it to a 04 cobra clutch.

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
ok, did the clutch adjustment.... didnt work. had ford check the clutch and all that when it was in for the rearend leaking.... that wasnt it. could fluid really help this? i guess the best way to describe how it feels is the way someone else on another post put it. it feels kinda notchy. maybe its just me. but it should shift perfect if you push the clutch in all the way. wella tleast i thought so

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I suppose the best question would be...shifting so hard, compared to what???

I had a Datsun 240z that shifted like butter...I could use one finger on top of the shift knob and push it into gear. It also only had 150hp, gross.

The Terminators have 425hp at the flywheel so their driveline parts are going to be much more robust. I had the same question when going from the 240z to a 95 Cobra, replaced the clutch and it still was the same. Just turns out I needed to change my technique and eat my Wheaties.

Zman04

Established Member
You said it felt like you were hitting something, when you shifted. Did you check to make sure that the stops were either not in there or adjusted correctly?

metaman

Established Member
These cars have notchy transmissions when the stock clutch is in there. It is something you just have to get used to. Mine has gotten a lot better with time. The thing you feel like you are hitting is the gears. Something about how the stock clutch puts a lot of pressure on the gears or something. When people switch to the centerforce dual friction they say it shifts like butter afterwords.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
metaman said:
These cars have notchy transmissions when the stock clutch is in there. It is something you just have to get used to. Mine has gotten a lot better with time. The thing you feel like you are hitting is the gears. Something about how the stock clutch puts a lot of pressure on the gears or something. When people switch to the centerforce dual friction they say it shifts like butter afterwords.

Is this the definitive answer? Anyone else care to confirm this before I spend the money on a new clutch? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread