Why is this car not all Aluminum?

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Hi All

A few days ago I test drove a F150 Truck. The salesman told me the entire truck is aluminum.

So I thought "why is the 350 not all aluminum"??. That would make it way faster if lighter. They are already doing it. And don't tell me cost. The truck was pretty cheap at $30,000.

Thanks

Voltwings

Established Member
The truck also doesn't have a Bespoke engine, Bespoke brakes, a bespoke transmission, all new suspension components, and a completely different front end body panel and ducting wise when compared to the other truck models. It is cost, but not how much one thing costs, rather how much they can amortize it over the cost of the fleet. All of the trucks are aluminum, and the F-150 is Ford's bread and butter so in reality they can spread those costs out quite far. There's already quite a lot you're getting for the GT350 to be priced as it is, adding "all aluminum" to that list as well would have cost quite a bit over the very low (relatively speaking) volume run.

conceptmachine

Established Member
How much would all aluminum lighten the 350? If 400+ lbs, I'd spend 10k on that. Make it a 3400lb car at 70k. Add 5k to all the other mustangs... whatever, just get it done!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If it's not about cost then how come the Explorer, Taurus, Fusion, and Expedition aren't made of Aluminum? Don't you think they would benefit Ford more to be lighter? Oh I know why... because of costs. Get over it and go read about manufacturing a little. There's a pretty clear reason why it's usually the more high end manufacturers that use more Aluminum because they can pass the costs on to the MSRP. Ford is paving the way with high volume production Aluminum by starting with their best sellers and innovating new ways to produce it so that it can eventually trickle down to the Mustang and other performance cars one day.

Lemers

Established Member
Honestly, if ford didn't do it for the entire Mustang line to spread the added cost; ford wasn't going to do it for just the Shelby.

Jfoster

Established Member
It would require a completely new chassis design. F150s and such are full frame vehicles - Mustangs are unibody. Not that I don't want or think it will happen but it's likely a little more complicated than throwing a few dollars at switching only the material itself.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cost.

Economies of scale does not make sense.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There's a lot of difference (engineering wise) between building an aluminum body that will be fitted to a ridged steel frame and building a full aluminum unibody.

It would require a completely new chassis design. F150s and such are full frame vehicles - Mustangs are unibody. Not that I don't want or think it will happen but it's likely a little more complicated than throwing a few dollars at switching only the material itself.

This touches on my point.

Don't for get about diminishing returns. Using aluminum in the construction of large full-size trucks will get you more weight reduction than it would on a mid-size car.

There's also the cost of converting the factory's body shop to aluminum production. This will prove to be the biggest holdup for Mustang. Currently it shares a production facility with Fusion. For the Mustang to go aluminum Ford would have to build a second body shop, convert the Fusion to aluminum, or move Fusion out of Flat Rock (which would leave the plant unprofitably underutilized). None of those things are likely to happen. Decisions like this take years to make because they have ripple effects throughout the company.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
svtfocus

I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

It's just a question. I could always get composite wheels as on option and bolt them on. But an aluminum body, one cannot get.

I ask because a few non R versions came out to the track and did not impress. Me in my 14 Gt500 OEM has put down a time more than 5 seconds faster. No mass produced OEM (Boss 302, 302 LS,ect..) version of the mustang has done that.The old Z06 (2008, OEM, is far is even faster than me).

I'm looking for a more track ready OEM car that is faster than mine. OEM. The new Camaro 1LE on the Holden Comodor chassis is suppose to be the next rival to the 350. Again, I'm not the car guy that just buys because it has a name plate I like. I buy equipment that is the best for it's job at the time.

I do want one, but it has to be way better than what i have now at the track.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
svtfocus

It's just a question. I could always get composite wheels as on option and bolt them on. But an aluminum body, one cannot get.

I ask because a few non R versions came out to the track and did not impress. Me in my 14 Gt500 OEM has put down a time more than 5 seconds faster. No mass produced OEM (Boss 302, 302 LS,ect..) version of the mustang has done that.The old Z06 (2008, OEM, is far is even faster than me).

I'm looking for a more track ready OEM car that is faster than mine. OEM. The new Camaro 1LE on the Holden Comodor chassis is suppose to be the next rival to the 350. Again, I'm not the car guy that just buys because it has a name plate I like. I buy equipment that is the best for it's job at the time.

Buy a Viper.

Voltwings

Established Member
svtfocus

My fiance in her '14 3.7L v6 has put down lap times faster than GTs, Cobras, GT500s and Bosses in her run group. You beat the Driver, not the car.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Sid297, fusion production is moving out of flat rock next year to Mexico, and being replaced by the Lincoln continental.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
All aluminum? No. Continued phase-in of lightweight materials and aluminum? Absolutely.

krt22

Established Member

That simply says you are the better driver.

krt22

Established Member
All aluminum? No. Continued phase-in of lightweight materials and aluminum? Absolutely.

If GM can do it with the alpha chassis, I can see Ford following suit with the S650. And I think it has less to do with performance and more to do with CAFE standards. Im guessing this is perhaps why Ford will be cutting the S550 short.

But I agree with others, no way ford makes a one off aluminum chassis just for the halo car. Its either all or none

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread