Why the hatred?

RedCoyote

Why are people disappointed with the new power stats? The big picture is being missed. We all know the power numbers are reported to be lower than they actually are. I have seen stock 2011 5.0 motors that make "412 hp" on a dyno stand make 430+ hp.
The improvements on the new 5.0 will allow safe supercharged applications of 700+ hp. 99-04 2V's could handle about 400 hp to the wheels. 05-10 3V's could handle about 500rwhp. 11-14's coyotes can handle about 600rwhp. We have all seen boss motors make huge power safely, and the new 5.0's on the GTs will be equally strong.
So I ask, why the hatred on the new car?

mustangletback

Established Member
:mj:there is no hatred,people like myself wanted FORD to make a hell of a statement.to me,it should have had 475hp.with that power figure the CRAPMARO and vette would be on notice.also with that number the chances of the new CRAPMARO starting off with that type of power would be slim to none.next step,the z06 has 650hp.well,FORD made a BOSS SX,a while back,and it had N/A 500hp motor.im sure they could have beefed that motor up to 670,or 680.the final top dog mustang could have had 750hp.

rrg9946

Established Member
:mj:there is no hatred,people like myself wanted FORD to make a hell of a statement.to me,it should have had 475hp.with that power figure the CRAPMARO and vette would be on notice.also with that number the chances of the new CRAPMARO starting off with that type of power would be slim to none.next step,the z06 has 650hp.well,FORD made a BOSS SX,a while back,and it had N/A 500hp motor.im sure they could have beefed that motor up to 670,or 680.the final top dog mustang could have had 750hp.

What the hell are you talking about. Even if the car had 475, people like you would still find something to bitch about. Also, what are you speaking of , when you say the final mustang could "have had" 750 hp????? This us the first session of the new platform. Its just the GT. There are other Mustangs being released. Also the Mustang GT and Corvette are not in the same class. If you release a base performance car of a vehicle such as the Mustang GT (as compared to an SVT vehicle) with 475 hp right out of the gate, how will you continue the wow factor as the car evolves on the same chasis? Oh by the way you do know this is a new chassis right? If you were expecting a naturally aspirated car with this quality of suspension on a new chasis, first year car and still wanted it to be under 40k than yiu need to find another hobby. Not realistic. The mustang is designed with the average man in mind to still enjoy a well built and performing vehicle without having to remortgage his home. Its also built in mind of the after market enthusiasts. You,don't have to love the car, but you should be a little more realistic. Also keep in mind, this a car that can run low 12's high 11's with a tire, put up good solid numbers at road course, be comfortable, not kill you in the wallet with gas, all under $40k, not bad if you ask me.

04svtsnke

Established Member

It's a ****ing gt, not the top svt model. Let it be the mass produced car and let the big brother svt car take care of the bad Camaro and z06( like the latter would ever happen stock for stock but one can wish).

Btw you have some LOFTY ass goals.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I have no hatred, and the HP numbers are decent, IMO. From everything we've heard so far, it should be a great car for the masses. For me, and given my biases, it doesn't fit, so I'll wait...

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
It's all about expectations.... Some people start imagining more than their minds should allow. Reality is Ford did not have to add any HP to the GT. If anything they needed to improve it's gas mileage more then they needed to add more power. My disappointment is with the weight of the car. Ford promised a large weight reduction , 200+ lbs and in reality it gained about 100... That's my 2 cents

Voltwings

Established Member
I think in the end it was clever wording. The s550 "platform," the bones of the car, is lighter than the S197. The CAR however, with all the new added standard equipment is not. What this translates into is an S197 that would have / could have weighed 3700-3800 - 3900... lbs, but instead we end up with an S550 at 3700 and its the end of the world.

The premium S197 GT weighs in at 3800 lbs, and the standard S550 comes with a lot of the same stuff but only 3700 lbs... sounds like some people just don't understand what "more standard features" means. Sure I would have loved a Factory 3500 lb GT mustang. I'd also love a couple million dollars, 12 hot blonde girlfriends and my own private drag strip, but I don't think any of those things are happening either.

Defknotzero

Established Member
I wouldn't say that I hate it. To ME, I stopped loving after the new edge ended. The terminator was the last "latest" mustang that I had. But that is just my opinion. I think the new one's look great but not great enough for me to buy. Just my .02.

mustangletback

Established Member
im not bitchin about a ****ing thing moron.i know the vette and stang arent in the same class,maybe you should go back and really read what i said,before you speak.:nonono:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I think in the end it was clever wording. The s550 "platform," the bones of the car, is lighter than the S197. The CAR however, with all the new added standard equipment is not. What this translates into is an S197 that would have / could have weighed 3700-3800 - 3900... lbs, but instead we end up with an S550 at 3700 and its the end of the world.

The premium S197 GT weighs in at 3800 lbs, and the standard S550 comes with a lot of the same stuff but only 3700 lbs... sounds like some people just don't understand what "more standard features" means. Sure I would have loved a Factory 3500 lb GT mustang. I'd also love a couple million dollars, 12 hot blonde girlfriends and my own private drag strip, but I don't think any of those things are happening either.

That's some fuzzy math there. "In the end", the car is heavier than the outgoing car by almost 100 lbs. Yes, I might get more standard crap that I may or may not have wanted (and will pay for regardless), but for me - an admitted 1%'er - it just doesn't do it. A 435 HP 3500# GT would have gotten my interest. This one doesn't. Sucks to be a weight Nazi I guess.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member

That's some fuzzy math there. "In the end", the car is heavier than the outgoing car by almost 100 lbs. Yes, I might get more standard crap that I may or may not have wanted (and will pay for regardless), but for me - an admitted 1%'er - it just doesn't do it. A 435 HP 3500# GT would have gotten my interest. This one doesn't. Sucks to be a weight Nazi I guess.

Voltwings, I completely agree with your theory. I also believe that the chassis itself is a good bit lighter than the S197 that it replaces, and that all the extra standard & safety features are where the additional weight comes from. However, and here's where I agree with Bob... those features and safety items ARE there and alot of that stuff isn't easily removed. This doesn't bode well for Bob's intentions, and I've recently concluded that it doesn't bode well for my intentions either. I still just don't want to go around beating on an IRS car all the time either, new IRS or not.

So my wife and I have decided that we're just gonna track down a New Edge car and Coyote/6R80 swap it. This new 435 hp crate motor with the new heads, cams, and sinter forged rods along with some longtubes and a Cobra Jet intake setup should be fun in a New Edge with a 6R80.

Voltwings

Established Member
I just fail to realize why it matters? Are you going to leave it bone stock? Whats the first thing we all do? Cats, mufflers, rims, hell i'd say thats probably right around 70-100 lbs depending on choices right there. A factory 3500 lb car would have been nice, but its also just hard to justify in this day and age, so it falls to the aftermarket to pick up some of the slack.

If this thing came in around Dodge Challenger / charger weight we would have a serious issue, but i think 3700 is something we can certainly work with.

Users who are viewing this thread