Why the hatred?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'm not hating on the S550 Mustang itself... my disappointment is just with new cars in general. They're all so heavy. I understand alot of this stuff improves the driving experience and safety and what have you. It's just not my bag. I'd rather start with a 3,500# or less car.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I just fail to realize why it matters?

You answered your own question as to why it all matters....

If this thing came in around Dodge Challenger / charger weight we would have a serious issue, but i think 3700 is something we can certainly work with.

The difference is only that my 'serious issue' comes in at a lower number than your 'serious issue'. I'm not right or wrong, and neither are you. We simply have different thresholds.

DMassey....my 99 Cobra is sitting covered by my shop...my plans are a Coyote swap some day, though I'll have to go the stick route....its in my blood! ;)

Voltwings

Established Member
You answered your own question as to why it all matters....

The difference is only that my 'serious issue' comes in at a lower number than your 'serious issue'. I'm not right or wrong, and neither are you. We simply have different thresholds.

DMassey....my 99 Cobra is sitting covered by my shop...my plans are a Coyote swap some day, though I'll have to go the stick route....its in my blood! ;)

... fair enough :beer:

kino

Established Member
Its the 50th anniversary and suppose to represent a brand new future, I just see Ho hum effort. The OP asks the question why people aren't ecstatic about 15 hp increase, a better question would be why are those people just pleased with it? Ford had a major opportunity here and I feel they squandered it a bit. Maybe the car is seriously underrated but I don't like the disappointment after disappointment I'm seeing so far.

Voltwings

Established Member
Ho hum effort? Based on what? You either have not read any of the tech regarding the new engine and / or suspension, or you were hoping Ford would bathe it in unicorn piss and it would make 500 hp and be 2500 lbs. To regard any of the new tech going into this car as "ho hum" is clearly a biased or ignorant statement.

04nccobra

Established Member
For me the numbers are disappointing. The fact that here is the highly anticipated Mustang update and the power numbers are barely better than the now 5-yro LS3 sitting in the Camaro SS. On top of this the car is heavier. Sorry but it seems to me Ford was too conservative. Maybe they are going to offer up a Mach/Boss package soon but if it is priced too high it defeats the idea. Looking at what Dodge did with the Challenger R/T with 485hp/475tq for under 40k, this is a disappointment.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
S550 - 435 hp / 3700 lbs = 8.50 Lbs per horsepower

Challenger - 485 hp / 4200 lbs = 8.66 lbs per horsepower. Mustang still wins.

Want some ricer math to go with it? losing 100 lbs is roughly the same as gaining 10 horsepower (at least as far as the 1/2 is concerned), so lets take the ~ 500 lb difference and turn it into 50 horsepower, lo and behold the specs are almost identical...

The Dodge also uses a 6.4 Liter, and Chevy a 6.2... if you ask me, this disapointment should be on their part that a 5.0 is even in the same ballpark, and in some cases outperforming them.

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I think a lot of people with Coyotes are trying to convince themselves that the S550 is going to be shitty so they don't feel bad for not waiting. As I said in one of the other threads, I don't even plan in the slightest to buy a GT and even the GT350 may not win my affection when compared against some of my other options but this car is something to be excited about. I think the performance numbers the rags get out of them stock will surprise people and I know for a fact that they are going to hurt a lot of feelings when bolt ons start getting made for them.

specizripn

Established Member
Ford knows how to make money... The first year they update the body and interior and the 2nd year they add the ponies and upgrade the transmission. 50th anniversary or not, making all the power right away is just not going to make as much money. Ford will get a bunch of buyers who only want it for the body the first year and then upgrade the power to keep sales up. Just wait and see, 450 to 475 is plenty realistic ;)

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Why the hatred?

Because the looks are polarizing. The performance is meh at best, and let's be honest here.... Ford doesn't have a great reputation with IRS. Furthermore Ford is trying to make a "global" car. That never sits well with Americans and especially American car enthusiasts. Ford is forcing European ideology on American car guys.

I'm generally neutral when it comes to American car brands. I'll drive and race anything. In MY, repeat MY experiences talking about the 2015, only die-hard Ford fans like this new iteration of the Mustang. Where as the 2011-2014 pulled guys from Chevy and Dodge (me included) this version of the Mustang will not.

Keep in mind too that Dodge just released the Hellcat, the 392 will be worlds quicker as well. Pictures of the 6th Gen Cheby are out being tested. The new LT1 motor is a BEAST and it's going in the Alpha chassis. That means much lighter.

Furthermore? Ford keeps in an unchanged MT-82? We're talking about a transmission that had an investigation looked into it by the NHTB.

04nccobra

Established Member
S550 - 435 hp / 3700 lbs = 8.50 Lbs per horsepower

Challenger - 485 hp / 4200 lbs = 8.66 lbs per horsepower. Mustang still wins.

Want some ricer math to go with it? losing 100 lbs is roughly the same as gaining 10 horsepower (at least as far as the 1/2 is concerned), so lets take the ~ 500 lb difference and turn it into 50 horsepower, lo and behold the specs are almost identical...

The Dodge also uses a 6.4 Liter, and Chevy a 6.2... if you ask me, this disapointment should be on their part that a 5.0 is even in the same ballpark, and in some cases outperforming them.

The fact remains that Dodge has already advertised low 12s for the 15 Challenger R/T optioned with a 392. A price tag under 40k makes it a great deal. I just don't see this new GT hitting that number. So as much as folks don't want to hear it we may be seeing the Challenger R/T now the fastest straight line performer in the GT/SS/R/T battle. I don't think anyone who is a member here ever saw that coming.

Voltwings

Established Member
Well, i give up. Everyone has stated their opinions, and seems pretty steadfast in their ways, all we can do now is wait.

rrg9946

Established Member
Well, i give up. Everyone has stated their opinions, and seems pretty steadfast in their ways, all we can do now is wait.

I love a challenge. I love being the under dog. Let's see who's game. I'll bet anyone on this board, that I'll get my '15 into mid to low 11's with drag radial, TB, exhaust, intake and Tune. Keep in mind I have a fully loaded Premium GT, so its gonna be a fat Sal. Who's up for it??????

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The fact remains that Dodge has already advertised low 12s for the 15 Challenger R/T optioned with a 392. A price tag under 40k makes it a great deal. I just don't see this new GT hitting that number. So as much as folks don't want to hear it we may be seeing the Challenger R/T now the fastest straight line performer in the GT/SS/R/T battle. I don't think anyone who is a member here ever saw that coming.

I'm confused by this..

How is low 12s for under 40K a good deal when stock coyotes have gone low 12s for 10k less? In terms of price the Mustang should have been competing against the R/T the entire time, but was competing performance wise with the SRT8s.

I don't see the S550 going slower in the quarter than my 2012.

04svtsnke

Established Member
What I still can't fathom is why people are upset on the middle of the road mustang when there is at least one( probably two) higher end cars that'll be a lot faster and more impressive in the near future.....it's just a gt and was never meant to be the bread winner. The coyote is an outstanding motor and clearly it's architecture will make it into the next mustang( albeit modified). In the end it isn't the top dog so stop giving it those kinds of expectations.

Angry50

Established Member
we all know that the mustang is a little heavier than we hoped for but its still lighter than chevy and dodges weighing in at 3900+lbs. when the mustang v8 weighs a tad more than the competitors v6 I think that's pretty good. if you want to sacrifice features for weight buy an older car or gut it. there is always the ecoboost for low weight as well. who knows maybe it will be able to handle massive boost and be like the old SRT4s which seem to put down good numbers with a few upgrades.

tbi0904

Established Member
Why the hatred?

Because the looks are polarizing. The performance is meh at best, and let's be honest here.... Ford doesn't have a great reputation with IRS. Furthermore Ford is trying to make a "global" car. That never sits well with Americans and especially American car enthusiasts. Ford is forcing European ideology on American car guys.

I'm generally neutral when it comes to American car brands. I'll drive and race anything. In MY, repeat MY experiences talking about the 2015, only die-hard Ford fans like this new iteration of the Mustang. Where as the 2011-2014 pulled guys from Chevy and Dodge (me included) this version of the Mustang will not.

Keep in mind too that Dodge just released the Hellcat, the 392 will be worlds quicker as well. Pictures of the 6th Gen Cheby are out being tested. The new LT1 motor is a BEAST and it's going in the Alpha chassis. That means much lighter.

Furthermore? Ford keeps in an unchanged MT-82? We're talking about a transmission that had an investigation looked into it by the NHTB.

You have no idea what the performance #'s are.

By "Ford doesn't have a great reputation with IRS" you mean the cobbled together mess they threw under the Cobra right? I'm willing to bet this one will be much better considering it's been designed for the '15 since day one.

What is the obsession with the Hellcat amongst some of you? I'm glad Dodge did a good job with it but comparing Mopar's halo muscle car to a GT is a little goofy. We'll see what Scat Pack cars can do. Don't forget that 392 cars are over 4000 lbs as well. It could be a lot closer that some of you guys think.

Don't even get me started on the magical Alpha Camaro that is gonna shoot pixie dust and rainbows out its tailpipes. Did some of you guys not learn your lesson about lofty (and unrealistic) expectations with the '15 GT?

The MT-82 is not unchanged for '15 and neither is the auto so you're flat out wrong on that as well.

I've said it before and I guess I'm gonna say it again; I'm gonna wait until production versions are in the hands of magazines and enthusiasts and put through it's paces before I judge the car. Passing off speculation (especially speculation based on incorrect info) as fact is a waste of time imo. We'll see what this car can (or can't) do soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread