Why the hatred?

Shaun@AED

What has changed with the MT82? Not really interested in the Auto....

The MT-82 is the best Manual transmission I've ever driven. It's the slave that sucks. Cure the fluid boiling issue and I had no issues with my MT-82.

th_11-16-2011_194949_zps6f14bf89.jpg

darreng505

Established Member
S550 - 435 hp / 3700 lbs = 8.50 Lbs per horsepower

Challenger - 485 hp / 4200 lbs = 8.66 lbs per horsepower. Mustang still wins.

Want some ricer math to go with it? losing 100 lbs is roughly the same as gaining 10 horsepower (at least as far as the 1/2 is concerned), so lets take the ~ 500 lb difference and turn it into 50 horsepower, lo and behold the specs are almost identical...

The Dodge also uses a 6.4 Liter, and Chevy a 6.2... if you ask me, this disapointment should be on their part that a 5.0 is even in the same ballpark, and in some cases outperforming them.

Well, my leafblower has 2HP and weighs 10lbs. That's 5lbs per HP. Leafblower wins...

darreng505

Established Member
The MT-82 is the best Manual transmission I've ever driven. It's the slave that sucks. Cure the fluid boiling issue and I had no issues with my MT-82.

th_11-16-2011_194949_zps6f14bf89.jpg

Well, then you haven't driven much I'd say. There are numerous documented issues with the MT-82 and subsequent clutch assembly that make it unusable at high RPMs. Maybe if all you do is get groceries its fine,
but under any real duress on a track its complete crap - and that's its track record.

My advice is for you to go drive a Tremec Magnum and report back.

Shaun@AED

Well, then you haven't driven much I'd say. There are numerous documented issues with the MT-82 and subsequent clutch assembly that make it unusable at high RPMs. Maybe if all you do is get groceries its fine,
but under any real duress on a track its complete crap - and that's its track record.

My advice is for you to go drive a Tremec Magnum and report back.

LOL
300+ passes down the drag strip and 10 second ET's on MOTOR with the stock CAI, stock Intake manifold, and stock headers.
Trans was NEVER removed from the vehicle (stock clutch).

That pic is a video link BTW. Click it and listen to the shifts.

Last edited:

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
LOL
300+ passes down the drag strip and 10 second ET's on MOTOR with the stock CAI, stock Intake manifold, and stock headers.
Trans was NEVER removed from the vehicle (stock clutch).

That pic is a video link BTW. Click it and listen to the shifts.

I agree my friend loves beating on his mt-82 bone stock. people see a few issues on the internet out of thousands made and thinks all of them are junk...

Voltwings

Established Member
It depends on what you're using it for. Mine 7000 and under is wicked and crisp, 7500 and over we start getting sketchy at times. Granted, that is asking a lot out of a factory transmission, so you do have to take that for what its worth.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's all about expectations.... Some people start imagining more than their minds should allow. Reality is Ford did not have to add any HP to the GT. If anything they needed to improve it's gas mileage more then they needed to add more power. My disappointment is with the weight of the car. Ford promised a large weight reduction , 200+ lbs and in reality it gained about 100... That's my 2 cents

I've seen this before, show me one place where a Ford representative publicly promised anything regarding weight.

darreng505

Established Member
I agree my friend loves beating on his mt-82 bone stock. people see a few issues on the internet out of thousands made and thinks all of them are junk...

Out of thousands who just get groceries. Of all my track buddies more and more are finding the MT-82 brakes down and won't shift and that percentage is growing daily. I have about a dozen close track buddies and now 4 of them have had the problems I experienced.

The tremec is light years ahead and should have gone in the S550. Shame.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
$$$$. The MT-82 goes in the V6 through the Boss models, its not a "low volume" unit like the GT500. I dont know exactly how those numbers stack up (Boss vs Shelby), nor do i know the price difference between the Tremec or the MT-82, but i imagine at the end of the day it was cost. Most people are just groccery getters in their mustangs. Hell, my mother has done an intake, Borla mufflers, added some very nice exterior pieces, eibach springs to her '13 track pack... but i doubt the car has ever been over 4k rpms unless im driving it. Some people just want a mustang, and for them the Mt-82 is fine. We are the minority here.

Shaun@AED

The internet is dumb, individuals are intelligent.
Thurough investigation into the problem and you will find 'cltuch pedal stuck to the floor' and 'won't go into gear'. These issues are SLAVE related. If you can not disengage the clutch, you CAN NOT SHIFT and will destroy the transmission by forcing into gear with an engaged or partially engaged clutch, regardless of where it was made or what it was made out of. We have seen destroyed Tremecs from the SAME slave issue. We have rebuilt more T56's than any other transmission at my shop.

I'll take an MT-82 any day over a Tremec, and I've driven hundreds of Tremecs, including ALL the popular builds like the Magnum.
The tremec T6060's and T56's have big bulky gears that handle a lot of power, but they do NOT shift as fast as a properly setup MT-82. Partly due to the extra weight you are manually throwing around, but mostly due to the syncros not being able to slow down the bulky gears as quickly as an MT-82.

I have never been able to shift any Tremec (including the Magnum) as fast as I can an MT-82.
A properly setup MT-82 in an all-motor Coyote = WIN (check the video I posted)

04nccobra

Established Member
I'm confused by this..

How is low 12s for under 40K a good deal when stock coyotes have gone low 12s for 10k less? In terms of price the Mustang should have been competing against the R/T the entire time, but was competing performance wise with the SRT8s.

I don't see the S550 going slower in the quarter than my 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are these low 12s you are talking about? I haven't seen any other than a supposed 12:20s pass in the very beginning of 2011. In 3+ years of other stock 5.0 owners trying it's never been duplicated. Most cars are in the 12:70s - 13:00s. Who knows Dodge may be blowing smoke with the low 12s claim but given what this car is coming to the party packing I have little doubt it may not only run that but better.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are these low 12s you are talking about? I haven't seen any other than a supposed 12:20s pass in the very beginning of 2011. In 3+ years of other stock 5.0 owners trying it's never been duplicated. Most cars are in the 12:70s - 13:00s. Who knows Dodge may be blowing smoke with the low 12s claim but given what this car is coming to the party packing I have little doubt it may not only run that but better.

I had to go back and look, youre right only a few cars running quicker than 12.5s.

I got kinda side-tracked looking at the stock Camaro and Challenger 392 best times. The fastest I found on the Challengers was a 12.2 the only ones that come close to that number are the automatics anyway, they seem like a mid 12 car, the manuals seem to be a high 12- low 13 second car depending on driver.

I got stuck on Challenger talk. Looking around on that site makes the 392 seem pretty lack luster if you want to mod one. Lots of money and they don't seem to pick up power like the coyotes do.

Regardless of all of that, I still can't consider those cars a decent value for their performance even at 40K, it's a better deal than the SRT8 that's for sure but not a good deal if you are comparing it to the SS or the GT.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
...The tremec T6060's and T56's have big bulky gears that handle a lot of power, but they do NOT shift as fast as a properly setup MT-82. Partly due to the extra weight you are manually throwing around, but mostly due to the syncros not being able to slow down the bulky gears as quickly as an MT-82...

IMHO, you nailed it, Shaun. I have never driven a car with an MT82, but the above is EXACTLY why I am hesitant to ever get T56 (or derivative) for a very high rpm motor - at least not for one that I intend to shift aggressively.

That said...I'm still waiting to hear what will be different with the MT-82 in 2015 (per an earlier post....)

Shaun@AED

IMHO, you nailed it, Shaun. I have never driven a car with an MT82, but the above is EXACTLY why I am hesitant to ever get T56 (or derivative) for a very high rpm motor - at least not for one that I intend to shift aggressively.

That said...I'm still waiting to hear what will be different with the MT-82 in 2015 (per an earlier post....)

Check this video Bob:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/91PONY/media/11-16-2011_194949_zps6f14bf89.mp4.html

Stock 2012 MT-82 and clutch assembly as delivered from Ford.
Shifted at 6700-6800
As RPM's increase it becomes more difficult for the Slave to disengage the clutch. I swapped to Tilton TSR-1 fluid and drilled the clutch line and it helped when shifting over 7K, but around 7500 it would still have issues (also key was NOT slipping the clutch on launch). The hot ticket for 7500+ shifts is the McLeod twin disc setup. The light pressure plate is easier for the slave to actuate at high RPM. Adding a bottle of friction modifier to the trans will help the syncros as well.

Trans itself is a little notchy when cold, but other wise I do not believe it needs improvement. It's the slave design that sucks balls. Basically a throw out bearing with brake fluid behind it like the GM LS's. The fluid boils when slipping the clutch and you lose the hydraulic pressure. I spoke with Tilton about a replacement at PRI a few years ago. They have a unit that fits, but would need some modifications to work in the MT-82. Not many in the aftermarket want to work with the MT-82, they all manufacture Tremec parts / swap kits. It's too bad really. The MT-82 can really shine with the right clutch/slave setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread