Why your cobra over another?

Auto

Established Member
So, been contemplating the idea about getting rid of my '01 cobra and looking for an '03/04 .. And in doing so, couple questions popped into my small head lol..

Why do you own your '99/01 over any other year cobra?? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with finances, but any other reason?

My '01 is my first cobra and I sold my '99 gt for it, and to this day I still miss my gt. Yes, it is just a car but it is what it is ...

Just looking for peoples' reason and such.. :beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I've owned my '99 Cobra since Sept of '03. It's done about everything I asked of it and come back for more. I put enough dings and dents in it pursuing an open track/auto-x habit, its now mostly retired to weekend duty when Im not road racing my DOHC IRS'd 2900# '00 Mustang GT.

In open tracking/road racing the risks of going home without a car are much higher. I was told years ago that "the only car that can be turned into a race car, is one you can push off a cliff without a care."

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Was finances for me totally. 03/04's in the condition my 99 is in were twice the price or more. I could have afforded it, but I wanted to build a 347/TKO setup for my 91 LX. So I got the 99 and built my Fox, as opposed to just getting an 03/04.

Cobrababymilk

Established Member
for me it was the n/a aspect. I wanted to boost and build something om my own that wasnt already crazy fast from the factory. I guess a sense of pride know that i built it, not the factory. Plus i wasnt a huge fan of the older cobras except the 93.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I stumbled upon mine by accident to be honest. After I sold my '02 RSX Type-S I wanted to find a gently used, mostly stock, new edge GT. I was in line to buy an '04 GT from a guy a few hours north of me, but he ended up selling to a buyer that made him a higher cash offer and was closer to him. Same thing happened to a 40th anniversary GT that a friend of mine found for me.

After those two close calls, I saw a guy selling a '99 Cobra w/83k miles on autotrader for $9,500, completely stock except for a BBK intake. I originally didn't know much nor had any interest in a Cobra, but my wife said I should at least go take a look, so I did. $9,000 and 48 hours later I was driving home with it.

Since then I've become a junkie for anything SVT and plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Finances played a part, I made a deal with my wife that I wouldn't buy anything that cost more than the selling price of my RSX ($12k). If I were still single, I'd probably have used that money as a down payment on a Terminator, but such is life. Didn't help that we had just bought a new truck 6 months prior.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
I bought mine on 2006 stumbled upon it as well wasn;t really looking for a cobra but saw it and loved it. As far as a 03/04 would be great but what I have done to my 01 i am better off keeping it. I am starting to like the 96-98 cobras as well so tastes do change I think for the money these days an 01 is a great value or even a 03/04 mach 1. For some reason the 03/04 cobra values are way off at this time

01yellercobra

Established Member
I stopped to look at an 04 on the lot. The price was way out of my range. So I came home with this one instead. I've thought about selling it many time, but I wouldn't even get half of what I have in it back. Plus it's nice being different. When I go to shows the amount of new edges can usually be counted on one hand.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i knew i was going to build a monster and starting with the 03 would have just cost more to end up replacing it all

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
It's mainly the cost for me. I like the way that my '99 handles and I think that it, in part, is due to the F/R weight distribution. If I had more disposable cash, I'd really like to have an '04 w/an aluminum block and our rear tail lights. The F/R weight distribution wouldn't be as good as a '99/'01 but it would be close enough for me. Oh, and I know a coupe can handle better than a vert, but I'm just a vert kind of guy. Top down makes me smile!

Viking42

Established Member
I traded my turbocharged 306 fox body for my Cobra. I wasn't looking to get back into a car payment and I was hoping to find an IRS Mustang. So I guess, you could say it came down to finances.

I was looking into an '03-'04 Cobra back in late 2005 as well, when I ended up buying a 2005 GT. At the time the Mustang was going to be my daily driver, so the looks, comfort, and updated chassis won out over the higher horsepower (and higher price).

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Although I literally built mine from scratch,
I wanted to see what a mild NA 5.4 combo could do.
I am not looking back.
NA is easier to mod, usually less costly also.
Never wanted an SC car.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
becaue the new edges are the coolest ones! duh

i was looking for an 01 when the 03s were just hitting the lot and i found my zy 01 in the showroom at a local ford dealer...it had 2020 miles on it. An older gent bought it and didn't like it

i saw it on a thursday and drove it home on a saturday...traded my 97 GT in on it
oddly i miss my Moonlight blue 97

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Would I sell a NE Cobra for a Terminator? Probably not. They are so closely related and the cost of selling the NE Cobra then buying an 03/04 and then start modding that is expensive.

A NE Cobra can easily be everything a Terminator is and more :rockon:

pbeechner

Established Member
The termi's tend to be more high maintenance. I bought my '99 because it was in really great shape, especially considering it had 175,000 miles on the clock. I guarantee that you won't find a 175,000 mile termi that is in as good shape. I think people tend to beat on them a little more. I spent a year looking with my friend for a terminator and almost every one we drove was in deplorable shape even at 30,000 miles....

There's also the fact that if you want to mod a cobra to silly hp numbers, its cheaper to start from a NE....

just my 2 cents.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have read several places that the 99/01's are the most well balanced, and provide the best handling of all the svt cobras

SlowSVT

Established Member
The termi's tend to be more high maintenance. I bought my '99 because it was in really great shape, especially considering it had 175,000 miles on the clock. I guarantee that you won't find a 175,000 mile termi that is in as good shape. I think people tend to beat on them a little more. I spent a year looking with my friend for a terminator and almost every one we drove was in deplorable shape even at 30,000 miles....

There's also the fact that if you want to mod a cobra to silly hp numbers, its cheaper to start from a NE....

just my 2 cents.

Agree

The torque loads of the FI engine pays havoc with the integrity of the chassis with cars that are drag raced being to worst :nonono:

..........beware of the SRA equipped Terminator :uh oh:

shurur

Established Member
I wanted NA, that first year mustang with IRS..with the best F/R balance of any mustang until the recent 5.0L... ...and that green color coup with dark charcoal interior..I spent 3 years looking for that year, that green with that interior...

I took Kelly sight unseen over the internet and beat out a guy in WA by 15 minutes..three of us were waitng on pics to be posted to the ad in the AM...luckily I didn't wait....I flew down to AL and drove her up to NH...I love my Kelly.

There's help for my problem...but I don't want it;-)

zPipes

Established Member
I didnt know much about them when I first bought it. I was actually looking at mustang GT's, and was going to cut a sunroof in. Then I found this Cobra, and it was on like donkey kong. I bought mine in 2005 with 17k miles on it. I couldnt have afforded a 03/04 at that time I dont think, they would have been much more. I think I got mine for 21 if I recall.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I wanted something different and build the car myself. I know for convenience purposes the 03/04 Cobra's are better all around, but I will enjoy building the car from the ground up. Already boosted is no fun :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread