Wideband issues AGAIN

DaveWertz

Established Member
So im on my 3rd wide band in 2yrs. This current one has maybe 500 miles on it. This morning I pulled out of my driveway, readings said 14-15 at idle which is normal but then steadily went up then flat lines. Cruising is at flat lines. Only when I cycle the key on and off I get numbers. WTH is going on with this thing? I have it grounded in the fuse box and powered in there as well. These sensors are to expensive to replace twice a year. Any ideas?

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DaveWertz

Established Member
So I lied. For some reason I was thinking my sensor was in the 2 or 10 position. Its more like 3 o'clock position. Could this really be causing my sensors to burn out that quick? Its the only thing i can think of thats burning these out.

Blown38

Established Member
If its in a factory bung i would have another short bung welded on top of the factory bung. So the sensor is out of the direct exhaust flow. Or you could just try a spark plug anti fouler.

If you want to put it in a different position in the exhaust. They sell a long bung. Sometimes the sensors get overheated sitting in the exhaust stream.

DaveWertz

Established Member
If I pull the sensor directly out of the stream will it give me a false reading? I wouldnt be opposed to using a anti fouler but always assumed they should be within the flow of exhaust to be accurate
If its in a factory bung i would have another short bung welded on top of the factory bung. So the sensor is out of the direct exhaust flow. Or you could just try a spark plug anti fouler.

If you want to put it in a different position in the exhaust. They sell a long bung. Sometimes the sensors get overheated sitting in the exhaust stream.

Blown38

Established Member
I want to say it doesn't affect it, but not sure, never used one. I think they have a small opening in them that I would definitely cut off or drill bigger.

Here is where the sensor sits in the long bung for reference.

20220707_101732.jpg

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I would be moving that sensor up to around the 2 o’clock position. I bet your problems will go away once you do this. I have mine in that position. I’m running a Bosch wideband with AEM gauge. It’s been in there for four years on E85 with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I would be moving that sensor up to around the 2 o’clock position. I bet your problems will go away once you do this. I have mine in that position. I’m running a Bosch wideband with AEM gauge. It’s been in there for four years on E85 with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

This.
Move it up somewhere in the 10 o clock to 2 o clock range. or straight up and down in the 12 o clock, IF there is room.

The Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors are very sensitive to thermal shock. I just went through the same thing last week. Not even 50 miles on the sensor that came with my AEM gauge.

read this link:

q6543

Established Member
I had alot of wideband issues, what solved It for me was.

I put my wideband on a switch, so after the car is running/idling from a cold start for a minute or so... then I power up the wideband.

The element is super fragile, key on engine off(before) it starts heating the element... then on a cold start you run the risk of thermal shock to the sensor causing it to break.

Users who are viewing this thread