Will the 5.8 engine continue in the new S550

Will the 5.8 engine continue and a new S550

• Total voters

Gabed1972

Established Member
Wondering what other folks think about the news that the 5.8 will continue in the new Mustang.

Is this just hype or do we believe it's the fact.

I've seen reports that suggests a 5.8 L will continue under a Mach 1 label.

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
I honestly highly doubt it will be in any S550 car. The mod motors are over 20 years old and are no where near as efficient as the coyote. I think you're more likely to see a bigger coyote based engine then the 5.8L.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Part of me says no way. The other part says why would they spend so much money to develop and certify an engine only to use it for 2 years?

USV8PWR

Established Member
Part of me says no way. The other part says why would they spend so much money to develop and certify an engine only to use it for 2 years?

Uh...don't forget the 2003/2004 4.6L supercharged engine and it's two year only run.

Cobracrazee1

Established Member
I hope we Ford keeps it and puts in one of theire cars. Would be great for someone to have another choice

SVTPete83

Established Member
Uh...don't forget the 2003/2004 4.6L supercharged engine and it's two year only run.

True story. That engine did show up in a few concept cars. The sport trac adrenaline comes to mind. I sure wish they would use it in something else. It's an epic motor!!

mullens

Established Member
Yes Ford has a history of 2 year runs (Boss, Termi etc. ) but I'm wondering why they went to the trouble of increasing displacement for such a short run. If that was their plan they could have left it at 5.4 and threw a TVS on. Interesting.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Yes Ford has a history of 2 year runs (Boss, Termi etc. ) but I'm wondering why they went to the trouble of increasing displacement for such a short run. If that was their plan they could have left it at 5.4 and threw a TVS on. Interesting.

Good point, I thought they built the 5.4 with enough to be stretched to a 5.8 which would make sense if that was the last horrah for that engine run., kind of like when they finished the 4.6 as the terminator design for two years. I could be wrong but seems to make sense to me. :shrug:

USV8PWR

Established Member

Good point, I thought they built the 5.4 with enough to be stretched to a 5.8 which would make sense if that was the last horrah for that engine run., kind of like when they finished the 4.6 as the terminator design for two years. I could be wrong but seems to make sense to me. :shrug:

To me it's no different than Ford redesigning the 4.6L DOHC engine to handle the stresses of supercharging and then using that engine for only 2 years. Ford put Manley rods in the engine, and made numerous other design changes to make it durable. So they increased the displacement....that's not hard to do on these blocks. And Ford already had the plasma spray technology. I would think the real challenge was beefing up the internals and getting the new TVS supercharger in tune with the trinity engine. Which as I said, they had to also do with the 4.6L back in the early 00's.

IMO many are completley overthinking this. This 5.8L engine wasn't meant to support Ford folks. Okay indirectly through interest into the brand yes, but not directly. The 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 was meant to be Ford's halo car for two years, and that's it. It's really no different than the automakers spending millions on designing a concept car that they will never produce. Yes, if Ford designed all of their products and/or engines to only be in production for 2 years then I doubt Ford would make any money. But designing an engine to be used for 2 years in a halo car and/or building amazing concept cars is what drives passion into the brand and thus makes all of the other vehicles Ford sells that much more desirable. Which then leads to purchases of Ford automobiles and ultimately to their profitability.

5.0 guy

Established Member
To me it's no different than Ford redesigning the 4.6L DOHC engine to handle the stresses of supercharging and then using that engine for only 2 years. Ford put Manley rods in the engine, and made numerous other design changes to make it durable. So they increased the displacement....that's not hard to do on these blocks. And Ford already had the plasma spray technology. I would think the real challenge was beefing up the internals and getting the new TVS supercharger in tune with the trinity engine. Which as I said, they had to also do with the 4.6L back in the early 00's.

IMO many are completley overthinking this. This 5.8L engine wasn't meant to support Ford folks. Okay indirectly through interest into the brand yes, but not directly. The 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 was meant to be Ford's halo car for two years, and that's it. It's really no different than the automakers spending millions on designing a concept car that they will never produce. Yes, if Ford designed all of their products and/or engines to only be in production for 2 years then I doubt Ford would make any money. But designing an engine to be used for 2 years in a halo car and/or building amazing concept cars is what drives passion into the brand and thus makes all of the other vehicles Ford sells that much more desirable. Which then leads to purchases of Ford automobiles and ultimately to their profitability.

Yep, that's pretty much on what I was saying. It makes sense to me for them to run a final version of a performance engine with an over the top version for the final two years of production. I also agree about the concept cars also, building hype definitely sells their brand!

Eatonualive281

Established Member
yup i think they will for a few years. I personally think it would be a great idea. It seems like most of the ppl hoping it doesnt land in the s550 are 13-14 gt500 owners lol.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
The way it was explained to me is that the 5.8 as terrific as it is, is a very labor intensive powerplant. One of the main problems being that the process it goes through in Germany before it gets to the Niche line has to be repeated for quality control issues, and takes careful oversight. Then shipping without damage is its own burden. Pile on the final problem which is the motor can't be produced in enough quantity to really make it affordable OR profitable means that you won't see it. The nail in the coffin is the 5.0. It is a phenomenal achievement, and able to serve almost any application Ford can throw at it in one form or another. A 5.0 bored out will be their new performance powerplant capable of 550 HP easily, and naturally aspirated. Why in the world would Ford waste their time continuing a 5.8 that gets 25% less mpg, and eats up their valuable niche line. They have other plans for those folks! Bank on it.

So why a 5.8 at all? Simply to build the baddest muscle car ever, and own the moniker 351 Trinity. Like it was said already, it will join a hall of fame list of famous and amazing 351 blocks. This car will absolutely be on a short list of all time great muscle cars. It has every checkbox marked off to be so.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
The way it was explained to me is that the 5.8 as terrific as it is, is a very labor intensive powerplant. One of the main problems being that the process it goes through in Germany before it gets to the Niche line has to be repeated for quality control issues, and takes careful oversight. Then shipping without damage is its own burden. Pile on the final problem which is the motor can't be produced in enough quantity to really make it affordable OR profitable means that you won't see it. The nail in the coffin is the 5.0. It is a phenomenal achievement, and able to serve almost any application Ford can throw at it in one form or another. A 5.0 bored out will be their new performance powerplant capable of 550 HP easily, and naturally aspirated. Why in the world would Ford waste their time continuing a 5.8 that gets 25% less mpg, and eats up their valuable niche line. They have other plans for those folks! Bank on it.

So why a 5.8 at all? Simply to build the baddest muscle car ever, and own the moniker 351 Trinity. Like it was said already, it will join a hall of fame list of famous and amazing 351 blocks. This car will absolutely be on a short list of all time great muscle cars. It has every checkbox marked off to be so.

Agreed

dajohu

Established Member
I hope it does continue, and I'm not even a fan of the 13/14 body style! I just hate to see so much wasted time and effort, plus limited available parts since it would only be a 2 year motor.

I'm also not a fan of smaller motors in a muscle car. I don't want to see the 5.0l+ engines gone in the future, but it's likely coming sooner or later I guess. I'll take a larger V8 over a smaller 4 or 6 even at the same power level, but I'm likely in the minority.

Users who are viewing this thread