Winter Storage Advice..

1996mustangGt

Established Member
Well its about that time to store the car for the winter. I was wondering what everyone does to their cars for storage? I had wondered if anyone puts any additives like stabil 360 or things like that. Mostly every winter i just battery tend it and throw a cover over it. Just like to see what everyone else does.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I usually just bring my battery inside, put some stabil in it and put a cover on....and then the waiting starts. The one year I put it in a storage unit I also put a few moisture absorbers inside the car.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Inflate tires, dump stabil in the gas tank, plug trickle charger in & cover the car.

cbj5259

Established Member
Battery tender, full tank of gas with stabil added and in years past I have changed the oil, but this year I probably won't because I was told it really doesn't make a difference. I also don't cover the car. Have heard the pros and cons of doing this. All covers (even the ones that say they breathe) will trap some moisture. If you have a heated garage, then a cover will probably be fine. If not, you could get some condensation on the car when the temperature fluctuates in the unheated garage. My garage is pretty clean so the worst that can happen is a very light film of dust that I promptly rinse off in the spring before I drive the car.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have heard the pros and cons of changing the oil, I change mine before storage. I add Stabil and run around the block a couple of times to get it through the whole system. Wash, put battery and tires in the basement, and cover. Look at the Ranger and sigh.

oldmodman

Established Member
Where is the car going to be parked?

Rural area in a leaky garage? Or a tight, heated city garage?

Think about mouse infiltration. Get some steel wool and put some in each exhaust tip. They will not chew through it.

If you live in a high mouse environment think about investing in a car capsule. And put a cloth bag of moths balls or pellets on top of each tire. Hopefully that will keep them from climbing your tires and getting inside the car of engine compartment. i don't know why but the damn critters love to eat wiring.

Gravik

Established Member
Gonna put some stabil in, pull the battery, and say hasta la vista till ~April.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
...If you live in a high mouse environment think about investing in a car capsule. And put a cloth bag of moths balls or pellets on top of each tire. Hopefully that will keep them from climbing your tires and getting inside the car of engine compartment. i don't know why but the damn critters love to eat wiring.

Better than moth balls are repellent crystals. I use a brand called Shake Away in my outdoor car shelter. It works great and I've never had mice.
It's crystals of fox or coyote urine. You sprinkle it around the perimeter of the garage or shelter. You can't smell it, but the mice can and they think a predator has set up house in the garage.
You can usually find it at hardware stores.

http://www.shake-away.com/

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I clean it, change the oil, put it on the dollies (so I can tuck it on the corner) and add SeaFoam to the tank. I've had better luck with my sled using SeaFoam over Stabil.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I store mine in an unheated garage, my process:

1. Add Stabil and fill gas tank
2. Wash/dry
3. Pull wheels w/ drag radials and swap stockers back on for winter. Inflate them up to around 35lbs
4. Park it with 4 plywood squares under the tires so they are not sitting on cememt
5. Pull battery
6. Put open box of baking soda in front cabin and trunk
7. Cover and let it sit until April

C0bra99

Established Member
wash
Top up and add Stabil
Battery tender
Cover in heated garage
every month sit in car and make engine and tire screeching noises while pretending to turn the wheel:eek:.

1996mustangGt

Established Member
Well i am half way done than. It will be in our pole barn that unfortunately isn't heated. I have washed her up and gave her a full tank of gas. This will be the first year that i put any additives to it. Is that the stabil that you guys use stabil 360? I also have thought about a car capsule because of the unheated garage moisture does become an issue around late fall and start of spring.

west08

Established Member
Wash, add marine stabiil, change oil. Used to put a cover on it but don't think I will this winter cuz it still was just as dusty if I did cover it

Users who are viewing this thread